LECOM & WVSOM COMLEX pass rates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDocDO

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of deciding between WVSOM and LECOM-PA. If you guys/gals could help me with the following questions that would be awesome!

What is the pass rates for COMLEX I & II for LECOM for the Lecture/Discussion Pathway (LDP)? If you could please post a couple within the past five years or so.

What is the pass rates for COMLEX I & II for WVSOM for the System Based Pathway (SBL) for the past five years or so? I know last year's COMLEX I pass rate was 92%.

Thanks in advance for any info!

Members don't see this ad.

FutureDocDO said:
I am in the process of deciding between WVSOM and LECOM-PA. If you guys/gals could help me with the following questions that would be awesome!

What is the pass rates for COMLEX I & II for LECOM for the Lecture/Discussion Pathway (LDP)? If you could please post a couple within the past five years or so.

What is the pass rates for COMLEX I & II for WVSOM for the System Based Pathway (SBL) for the past five years or so? I know last year's COMLEX I pass rate was 92%.

Thanks in advance for any info!

LECOM pass rate is 100% all said and done. You have to pass step I & II prior to graduating. It is the only school that requires this. You have to pass both exams within 6 years of matriculation. If you fail more that 3 times you are dismissed from the school. I think it's about 90% the first time around that people pass. You do not have to pass the PE to graduate but you have to take it before 4th year is up.

cabinbuilder said:
LECOM pass rate is 100% all said and done. You have to pass step I & II prior to graduating. It is the only school that requires this. You have to pass both exams within 6 years of matriculation. If you fail more that 3 times you are dismissed from the school. I think it's about 90% the first time around that people pass. You do not have to pass the PE to graduate but you have to take it before 4th year is up.
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
cabinbuilder said:

That's one of the most useless answers I've seen.

(nicedream) said:
That's one of the most useless answers I've seen.

During orientation they claimed that overall pass rate for COMLEX 1 was 88% last year. National average was 89%, the PBL'ers were a little high, so statistically LDP most have been about 87.5% or something very close to that.

If my memory is correct, the past 5 years, LECOM has been really close to the national average every year, which is usually around 89%.

This is all first time around.

I found the number interesting, because at my interview, one of the admissions officers told me the pass rate was 97%, so I was a little miffed, but I love the school, I think they work real hard at those numbers and they seem to care about their students success, so I am would have come to LECOM either way.

So I hope those numbers help.

jjmcentee@hotma said:
During orientation they claimed that overall pass rate for COMLEX 1 was 88% last year. National average was 89%, the PBL'ers were a little high, so statistically LDP most have been about 87.5% or something very close to that.

If my memory is correct, the past 5 years, LECOM has been really close to the national average every year, which is usually around 89%.

This is all first time around.

I found the number interesting, because at my interview, one of the admissions officers told me the pass rate was 97%, so I was a little miffed, but I love the school, I think they work real hard at those numbers and they seem to care about their students success, so I am would have come to LECOM either way.

So I hope those numbers help.
Thank you. First time pass rates for COMLEX I is < 88% is kinda low compared to WVSOM's first time pass rate of 92%. Does anyone know what the first time pass rates for COMLEX II are at both schools? I've heard that it is lower at WVSOM than LECOM-PA. Can anyone clarify this?

FutureDocDO said:
Thank you. First time pass rates for COMLEX I is < 88% is kinda low compared to WVSOM's first time pass rate of 92%. Does anyone know what the first time pass rates for COMLEX II are at both schools? I've heard that it is lower at WVSOM than LECOM-PA. Can anyone clarify this?

Your attempts at obtaining useful information in this and the other thread regarding board scores are futile and foolish. Not only are any answers given highly suspect, to use such information in your choice of schools is pointless. Board scores depend on the student, not the school. Put an idiot at Harvard and he's going to fail. Put a genious in a diploma mill and he will succeed. Furthermore, comparing 88% to 92% is beyond stupid. Look for some other ways to decide on a school than arcane, made-up numbers.

cabinbuilder said:

You've got to be kidding me.

Do you even know what pass rate is? The question is regarding FIRST-TIME pass rate. Not how many pass that eventually graduate.

Most, if not all schools require you to pass both steps eventually, but VERY FEW have 100% first time pass rates. (Typically only 1 school a year.) I haven't seen LECOM in that category in recent years.

(nicedream) said:
Your attempts at obtaining useful information in this and the other thread regarding board scores are futile and foolish. Not only are any answers given highly suspect, to use such information in your choice of schools is pointless. Board scores depend on the student, not the school. Put an idiot at Harvard and he's going to fail. Put a genious in a diploma mill and he will succeed. Furthermore, comparing 88% to 92% is beyond stupid. Look for some other ways to decide on a school than arcane, made-up numbers.
I suppose it might come across as stupid to someone who considers the COMLEX to be a complete joke. You might want to look down once in a while before you fall flat face onto that pile of %#$&.

(nicedream) said:
If one cannot pass, or do well on, the COMLEX, I would say there's no hope as far as USMLE is concerned for that individual. DO pass rates on the USMLE are 72%. From what I hear, COMLEX is a joke compared to the USMLE.
COMLEX is a joke

FutureDocDO said:
I suppose it might come across as stupid to someone who considers the COMLEX to be a complete joke. You might want to look down once in a while before you fall flat face onto that pile of %#$&.

COMLEX is a joke

Many of the current ACGME residents that are DO's that I have spoken to say the USMLE is easier than the COMLEX. Of course it depends on your personal strengths.

OSUdoc08 said:
Many of the current ACGME residents that are DO's that I have spoken to say the USMLE is easier than the COMLEX. Of course it depends on your personal strengths.
I've heard that as well but with everything it depends on the individual student. I know (contrary to what other(s) might think) that is true with passing the COMLEX and as such attending a school with a high pass rate will not guarantee anything.

FutureDocDO said:

COMLEX is a joke

What does that have to do with this discussion???

FutureDocDO said:
I've heard that as well but with everything it depends on the individual student. I know (contrary to what other(s) might think) that is true with passing the COMLEX and as such attending a school with a high pass rate will not guarantee anything.

Exactly my point. So why are you asking so many questions about it, and jumping on me for bringing this to your attention?

Members don't see this ad :)
OSUdoc08 said:
You've got to be kidding me.

Do you even know what pass rate is? The question is regarding FIRST-TIME pass rate. Not how many pass that eventually graduate.

Most, if not all schools require you to pass both steps eventually, but VERY FEW have 100% first time pass rates. (Typically only 1 school a year.) I haven't seen LECOM in that category in recent years.

And why would I know what the pass rate is the first time? I can only post what I know and personally it really doesn't matter. You personally have to pass both steps to graduate from LECOM that is the bottom line. What others do is their business. We as students are not given that information as a rule because we really don't care. I wasn't trying to imply that the first time pass rate was 100%, that is not even close to what I said. But all graduates have passed both steps. That's all.

cabinbuilder said:
And why would I know what the pass rate is the first time? I can only post what I know and personally it really doesn't matter. You personally have to pass both steps to graduate from LECOM that is the bottom line. What others do is their business. We as students are not given that information as a rule because we really don't care. I wasn't trying to imply that the first time pass rate was 100%, that is not even close to what I said. But all graduates have passed both steps. That's all.

Unfortunately the question wasn't asking how many graduates pass the COMLEX, since that is the same for ALL schools.

If you didn't know the pass rate the first time, then why did you answer the question in the first place?

(nicedream) said:
Exactly my point. So why are you asking so many questions about it, and jumping on me for bringing this to your attention?
Thanks but your choice of words aren't the best. That might have not been your intention but it came across differently.

I interviewed at WVSOM last September. I was told by the staff that in the first group of Problem-Based Learning students, the pass rate for COMLEX Step I was only 80% (6 out of 30 failed).

matteaton81 said:
I interviewed at WVSOM last September. I was told by the staff that in the first group of Problem-Based Learning students, the pass rate for COMLEX Step I was only 80% (6 out of 30 failed).
It's a relatively new program at WVSOM. There's no doubt it will improve. SBL group did extremely well, 92%, last year though.

FutureDocDO said:
Thanks but your choice of words aren't the best. That might have not been your intention but it came across differently.

I said "board scores depend on the student, not the school. Put an idiot at Harvard and he's going to fail. Put a genious in a diploma mill and he will succeed."
Thought that was pretty clear.

OSUdoc08 said:
Unfortunately the question wasn't asking how many graduates pass the COMLEX, since that is the same for ALL schools.

If you didn't know the pass rate the first time, then why did you answer the question in the first place?

You know, I was just trying to be helpful and snide comments don't do any service to anyone. :smuggrin: As someone who is at the beginning of the medical career you might want to lighten up about things that are so insignificant it's incredible to me there is even an arguement about it. :( The test is stupid and we all have to take it. You have to pass. Who cares whether it's 88% or 90% or 95%??? :confused: I just don't get the obsessivness of this question. It's so individual, we all get the same courses and information but process it differently. There are schools out there that do not require step II to graduate. I have a friend who just took step II as a third year resident!! So I was just trying to make the point about LECOM's rules to assist you in your decision to go there. :rolleyes:

cabinbuilder said:
You know, I was just trying to be helpful and snide comments don't do any service to anyone. :smuggrin: As someone who is at the beginning of the medical career you might want to lighten up about things that are so insignificant it's incredible to me there is even an arguement about it. :( The test is stupid and we all have to take it. You have to pass. Who cares whether it's 88% or 90% or 95%??? :confused: I just don't get the obsessivness of this question. It's so individual, we all get the same courses and information but process it differently. There are schools out there that do not require step II to graduate. I have a friend who just took step II as a third year resident!! So I was just trying to make the point about LECOM's rules to assist you in your decision to go there. :rolleyes:

Board pass rates at a particular school give an insight into the quality of the education.

You will find that the proven top tier osteopathic medical schools typically have high board pass rates, and the less selective schools have lower pass rates. It isn't necessary to give examples.

Since you are required to take step III of the boards during your internship year, I find your comment about step II hard to believe. Even if this did occur, it would be VERY rare.

OSUdoc08 said:
Board pass rates at a particular school give an insight into the quality of the education.

You will find that the proven top tier osteopathic medical schools typically have high board pass rates, and the less selective schools have lower pass rates. It isn't necessary to give examples.

Not necessarily. It could be that board pass rates at a particular school give an insight into the quality of students that go there.

(nicedream) said:
Not necessarily. It could be that board pass rates at a particular school give an insight into the quality of students that go there.

It could be, but this scenario is less likely than the one i mentioned, since almost all schools have a stratified student body.

OSUdoc08 said:
Since you are required to take step III of the boards during your internship year, I find your comment about step II hard to believe. Even if this did occur, it would be VERY rare.

Well, I have no reason to lie. But my friend was in a bad residency program that did not have a deadline as to when step II or step III be taken. His residency program shut down during his second year so he transferred where I go to school. So he just took step II last January as a third year resident. Then caught up and took step III. Rare, perhaps but it did happen.