Lecom

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RLK

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was going to apply to LECOM, but I just recently heard that it isn't an accredited school and not a good place to go for pharmacy. Has anyone else heard anything good or bad about it?

Members don't see this ad.

RLK said:
I was going to apply to LECOM, but I just recently heard that it isn't an accredited school and not a good place to go for pharmacy. Has anyone else heard anything good or bad about it?
Part A) The school has candidate status due to it being only 4 years old at the moment. It will be up for full accreditation review in the coming months. (January Board Meeting I suspect) If all does not go well, more than likely their candidate status will be extended for another year or two until the problems ACPE has identified have been fixed. I really would have no issues attending LECOM based on accreditation.

Part B) With a little research on this forum, you will find that most people that apply to LECOM have experienced major problems, including yours truly. (Which I am still spiteful of) However, I don't recall anyone on this board, with the exception of one disgruntled student, ever claiming it's a bad school. Any student that just says "the school sucks" has no credibility. Your question should be, "Well, why does the school suck?" I find that 9 times out of 10 it's because they have a grudge with a teacher, group of teachers, or the program is too hard....none of which is indicative of a bad or good program. Off the top of my head, I can only think of one real pharmacy school that I would rate as bad, and I am not going to list that here. I will tell you, they are not located in Pennsylvania.

I just graduated in June from LECOM and we were emailed from the dean saying that the school has been granted full accrediattion status from ACPE. LECOM is a good school overall and will only get better. I did rotations in Indiana with Butler, Purdue and Ohio Northern students and I can say that LECOM did a good job of preparing us.

Here is the proof - I did have 8 offers on graduation and will be working at the pharmacy of my choice, joining pharmacists from Purdue, Butler, Iowa and Ferris State. And none of the pharmacists I work with have held LECOM against me.

Would I go to LECOM again? Absolutely yes.....

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey!
What happened to chiropractic or optometry. I thought you didn't want to be a pharmacist anymore.

pharmergirl said:
Hey!
What happened to chiropractic or optometry. I thought you didn't want to be a pharmacist anymore.

I'm still exploring the world. When I return from my voyage I'll have a better answer for you.

RLK said:
I'm still exploring the world. When I return from my voyage I'll have a better answer for you.

Dood, I don't know why. But I wish you get in somewhere. You provide a nice amusement factor. Good luck.

I'm glad to finally hear some positive thing about Lecom. I'm going to apply for Lecom 2006. I think the school is very nice and it's so great to finish 1 year sooner. My friend applied there 3 times and finally got in. She didn't even improve her GPA or anything. She just called and told them that she had applied 3 times already and 2 weeks later, she got in.

Kelly: if you don't mind would you please PM me your friend's GPA and PCAT score. I plan to apply to LECOM too so it would be nice if I can talk to some students there, just to find out how it is like at LECOM. Thanks in advance :)

Escape said:
Kelly: if you don't mind would you please PM me your friend's GPA and PCAT score. I plan to apply to LECOM too so it would be nice if I can talk to some students there, just to find out how it is like at LECOM. Thanks in advance :)

Escape - PCAT is not required for Lecom.

Lecom is very competitive. The first year she applied, her GPA was 3.2. That year only about 300 students applied. She got in with the exception that she had to finish statistic by spring quarter. Lecom doesnt even count any courses in the summer quarter before the first professional year starts. When she found out it was already April, too late for that year. She then applied for the second year, this time they had 1500 applications. Her GPA was then 3.3, but she did not get in because of too many students applied. She decided to finish her degree, take a year off to work and reapply for the third time. After the phone interview, the guy told her that she was on the waitlist (I guess he didn't like the interview). She called the school and asked what she did wrong and blah blah. Two weeks later she got in.

Her GPA is 3.3 and her PCAT is 65.

I was going to do the early admission for Lecom, but they told me that unless I have completed O-chem, I stand no chance.

ESCAPE: If we both get in, we can be study buddies :) I still need LOR.

My friend also told me to schedule a visit for lecom. I heard the campus is very nice. I'm planning on doing that. I need to talk to them face-to-face.

OoKellyoO said:
Lecom is very competitive. The first year she applied, her GPA was 3.2. That year only about 300 students applied. She got in with the exception that she had to finish statistic by spring quarter. Lecom doesnt even count any courses in the summer quarter before the first professional year starts. When she found out it was already April, too late for that year. She then applied for the second year, this time they had 1500 applications. Her GPA was then 3.3, but she did not get in because of too many students applied. She decided to finish her degree, take a year off to work and reapply for the third time. After the phone interview, the guy told her that she was on the waitlist (I guess he didn't like the interview). She called the school and asked what she did wrong and blah blah. Two weeks later she got in.

Her GPA is 3.3 and her PCAT is 65.

I was going to do the early admission for Lecom, but they told me that unless I have completed O-chem, I stand no chance.

ESCAPE: If we both get in, we can be study buddies :) I still need LOR.

My friend also told me to schedule a visit for lecom. I heard the campus is very nice. I'm planning on doing that. I need to talk to them face-to-face.

Do you know how many letters of recommendation Lecom requires? I was almost sure Lecom didn't look at PCAT scores. Has this changed?

I mentioned that my friend scored a 65 on her PCAT. I didn't say Lecom requires it. You need 2 LORs for Lecom. They even told me that they dont look at applications until after christmas break, but the sooner we apply, the better.
If we all get into lecom, we can all be buddies :)

i'm applying to Lecom Fall 2006. I am their first application ^^..i called if they receive my application but i did not mention my name and they were like "Kenny Pham" I was like hmm Yup, that's my name HAHA =P she said UR THE FIRST ONE! :eek:

Hey Kenny,

I see you're Viet. Anyway, are you applying for the early admission or the regular? Cause if they're accepting for the regular now, I might as well just turn in my application. Did you ask when they're gonna start the interviewing process?