Lecom

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Soon 2 B DOctor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all-

Which of LECOM's programs allow dissection?

Members don't see this ad.

no dissection in seton hill, dissection in lake erie but not for the problem based learning...

Rumors floating around that they will be reinstating the dissections for PBL at Erie since it was a ****ing stupid idea to take it out in the first place and they might have realized it.

Just a rumor though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rumors floating around that they will be reinstating the dissections for PBL at Erie since it was a ****ing stupid idea to take it out in the first place and they might have realized it.

Just a rumor though.

At my interview on the 1st of March, they said no dissections for PBL at Erie or Seton Hill... Because Seton Hill is considered a branch campus and not a separate campus the curriculums are suppose to be the same, and I don't believe Seton Hill is set up for anatomy labs or dissection... so I don't see how that would work out. But who know's what they have in the works. That's just what we were told.

At my interview on the 1st of March, they said no dissections for PBL at Erie or Seton Hill... Because Seton Hill is considered a branch campus and not a separate campus the curriculums are suppose to be the same, and I don't believe Seton Hill is set up for anatomy labs or dissection... so I don't see how that would work out. But who know's what they have in the works. That's just what we were told.

This is pure speculation, but its possible that they may have gotten something worked out with the PA program at Seton Hill, which I read apparently does have cadavers.

This is pure speculation, but its possible that they may have gotten something worked out with the PA program at Seton Hill, which I read apparently does have cadavers.

Oh, that would be exciting.
Let's see what happens.

Just a rumor though.

What I heard from current PBL students yesterday was the incoming PBL students will have designated lab times where they go through pictures and have TAs walking around to answer questions. The PBL students who will TA scored very well (mid to upper A's) in anatomy.

I asked this same thing at my interview and the anatomy prof didn't seem to think it was going to happen. The idea behind the way they are doing anatomy for PBL is to prove students can learn without cadavers. So there probably won't be a chance SH students get to dissect with the PA program.

Why would you want to dissect? A total waste of time: real humans are only rarely pickled.

From my experience, having the ability to dissect a real cadaver was a great help. It's one thing to look at pictures to learn something (we do it all the time as medical students), but it's an entirely different thing to hold a heart, a brain in your hand and learn from it. It also makes you appreciate that not everything in a book is real life (i.e. anatomic variation). For the future surgeons out there it gives an intro to how hard it is to find a given structure or collateral vessel when it may not be where you expect it.

Bottom line, I am sure the outcomes (grades) are the same, but it's definitel a way to learn anatomy that makes things stick in your brain in a different way.