LECOM's initiative

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Taylor DO

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Fellow DO's (docs and students)

Has anyone seen the unique approach LECOM is using to their medical education programs?

Last year they introduced a PBL approach to their curriculum, and most recently, they have added a "Indy Study Approach". It allows highly motivated students to complete their curriculum in three years instead of four.

I am very impressed with this progressive approach to education. It is removing the silly idea that students must remain in the classroom for eight hours a day in order to learn the biomedical sciences as they apply to clinical medicine.

Have any of you had similar experiences at other osteopathic programs?

Let me know your impressions.

Taylor DO

Members don't see this ad.

I know that TCOM has a PBL approach that seems to be getting a warm reception by the students.

I also read about LECOM's approach. I'm curious to hear if these students are forming small support/study groups on their own or with help from LECOM. This would be similar to what some law schools are doing. It's highly effective. If they are not developing small groups, I'm curious to hear how the lone students are progressing.

LECOM's running a "get your medical degree in NOT four years, but three" program?

Can someone elaborate? As it were, I'm out of the osteopathic loop.

Tim of New York City.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tim

LECOM is running an indy program that is very intensive (no summers off between first and second year)with learning modules and curriculum support available to them.

People laughed when IUHS (a carib program)made this exact same move.

LECOM's reputation is strong, and their administration should be applauded for giving such strong support for a progressive approach in education. This move is impressive in today's "elitist" medical education hierarchy.

In a nutshell Tim, students with faculty approval navigate their way through a medical school program at their pace, on their terms, and in as little as 36 months.

Kudos to LECOM.

Taylor

Read all about it on their web page at: http://www.lecom.edu/curriculum/independent.htm

It appears to be an independent study program where you can, if you go summers and haul butt, complete the 1st 2 years in 1 year, then move on to clinicals.

Thanks for the information, it was much appreciated and was very helpful (the URL was great).

I'm interested in seeing how graduates of this ISP program at LECOM will do residency-wise. If this works out at LECOM, it could be the next big thing in medical education since PBL.
smile.gif

Tim of New York City.

Or if you just like spending all summer in class and still having to wait 4 years to get your degree, COME TO KCOM. Good to see that there is a school that realizes that medical knowledge can be taught much more efficiently. Also, that more time in the classroom should = less time earning your degree.

I've noticed that many osteopathic schools don't have summers off between the first and second years.

Is it solely because of the extra time spent in OMT class/lab?

Tim of New York City.