Left out a word

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannabeanMD0709

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
So I left out a word in one of my supplementals - I already interviewed at this school and felt that I had a very good interview, so I am not sure how much it will matter, but it worries me that I just now noticed the missing word, and I want to see what people think. The quoted text below is from a sort of "tell us more info" section, and I left out a word that didn't jump out at me before, so I am hoping it doesn't jump out at any one else either.

"Because this our home, Chicago is where I want to learn about medicine and subsequently practice and serve our community."

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,
So I left out a word in one of my supplementals - I already interviewed at this school and felt that I had a very good interview, so I am not sure how much it will matter, but it worries me that I just now noticed the missing word, and I want to see what people think. The quoted text below is from a sort of "tell us more info" section, and I left out a word that didn't jump out at me before, so I am hoping it doesn't jump out at any one else either.

"Because this our home, Chicago is where I want to learn about medicine and subsequently practice and serve our community."

Thanks!

Knowing that there was a word missing from the sentence, I still had to read it twice to determine that "is" was missing. I think I kinda just filled it in because the word "this" contains "is." I wouldn't worry too much about it.

On another note, this is exactly why I don't re-read my secondary essays once I submit them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am glad you missed it too - a friend said that he missed it as he thinks he just filled in the word is, so I am hoping that the fact that I already interviewed is a good sign, and that this won't negatively impact my application.

Good idea though to not!

Knowing that there was a word missing from the sentence, I still had to read it twice to determine that "is" was missing. I think I kinda just filled it in because the word "this" contains "is." I wouldn't worry too much about it.

On another note, this is exactly why I don't re-read my secondary essays once I submit them.

Same for me.. Even looking, it took me twice to realize. I think you're fine.

If it makes you feel better, write "is" on a blank piece of paper and mail it to the admissions office. If you don't want to decrease your chances sharply, do it anonymously. :laugh:

There is lots of psych and linguistics research that shows that brains fill in missing words, or make sense of things that don't. You've surely seen the CHT (written with the top ends of the "H" approaching) as CAT illusion, right?

If it makes you feel better, write "is" on a blank piece of paper and mail it to the admissions office. If you don't want to decrease your chances sharply, do it anonymously. :laugh:

There is lots of psych and linguistics research that shows that brains fill in missing words, or make sense of things that don't. You've surely seen the CHT (written with the top ends of the "H" approaching) as CAT illusion, right?

No?

Have you seen the paragraph where the words are all jumbled up except for the first and last letters that's still super easy to read? I thought it was so cool the first time I read it.

No?

Have you seen the paragraph where the words are all jumbled up except for the first and last letters that's still super easy to read? I thought it was so cool the first time I read it.

This stuff, exactly. We sort the letters back in order, just like the "CHT reads CAT" shows that our brain tries to make sense when there isn't.

Could somebody please do a Google Wikipedia Intro-Psych-Textbook image search and post them here for WannaBeAnMD? I got to go, no time to google myself.

I had to read it twice before I realized where the missing word was too. Honestly, with the hundreds of secondaries each person has to read, I doubt they'll even notice, and if they do, they'll probably realize it was just a typo.

to make you feel better, theres a spelling error in the supplementary application for sullivan university. if schools themselves make errrors, we can too.

to make you feel better, theres a spelling error in the supplementary application for sullivan university. if schools themselves make errrors, we can too.
And Stony Brook roughly asks, "How does health-care reform effect your decision to go into medicine?" :smack:

OP: That omission, as has been stated before, is hard to catch. Keep in mind that the person reading it will likely only read it quickly once or twice.

Thanks all for chiming in - my wife and I both had proofread the entire supplemental and missed this, and she did the same thing everyone else did when I asked her about it last night. I was just frustrated and wanted to get some second opinions :)

dont worry about it, they probably wont even notice. i had 2 blatant spelling mistakes in my personal statement and i still got an acceptance and multiple interviews. not to down play the importance of the essays but they read so many of them i'm pretty sure they are just skimmed.

I did the same thing and I got accepted to the school. When I noticed, I felt like the biggest idiot, but they read these things so fast that they probably won't even notice. Really, it's not a big deal.

I did the same thing and I got accepted to the school. When I noticed, I felt like the biggest idiot, but they read these things so fast that they probably won't even notice. Really, it's not a big deal.
That's good to hear. I made the mistake of typing one of my secondaries right in the window. It looked fine, nothing misspelled. I submitted it. Then I needed to modify the said response for another app and I pasted it in Word....I messed up spacing in 3 places-doubt that anyone would have noticed but I def learned my lesson...no more freehanding it, spell check and corrections are my friends!!!!

forever!:love:

I wouldn't worry about it. I had a glaring typo in one of secondaries that I somehow missed despite proof-reading it like 100 times, and I was accepted there (also interviewed in the one the first interview groups). It won't hurt you.

Dude seriously? Calm down. They're not going to reject you because you left out an "is".

I did this on my Northwestern secondary. I interviewed on the first day and I feel pretty good about my chances of an acceptance. Relax, you're just fine...

I cannot believe that the responses address the issue of "how noticeable" it is, etc.

Dude, adcoms are not idiots. They could care less that you left out a word. What are they going to say in the adcom meeting, "He left out a word and thus will kill patients. Reject!!"

Now if this were law school admissions, you'd be doomed.