Legacy/Connection/Alma Mater Admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheMightyAngus

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how various med schools treat legacies or connections for that matter? How about alma maters?

For example, say one of my parents went to Columbia for med school and residency, would that factor in at all into admissions? Does anyone know of people with decent but not stellar stats get accepted because of a connection? I ask this because on the Columbia app it lets you check a box if your parents are current P&S Faculty or graduates. I know it's more common for law school and business school to take these into account. Just wasn't sure about med schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Very good question - I'm interested in hearing this answer as well.

I have a feeling that most schools would favor legacy status. I've also heard that admissions committees also favor students whose parents are physicians.

I'm not sure, however, if you'd get any special preference if your parents did their residency there alone without having gotten a degree.

Jefferson, without a doubt, heavily favors legacies. That doesn't mean you can get in 2.5/22L if daddy went here. But everything else equal, they'll take the legacy over the kid who's parents were working class folks.

A HUGE portion of our students are legacies. I've always wondered why the administration complains about lack of diversity here when they are the ones perpetuating it.

I think this is not unusual for privates. I don't think public schools care so much. I've heard Michigan does, but rumors are rumors.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know the answer to your question, but here's a thought anyway. All else being equal, I would choose to attend the medical school that did not favor legacies.

Camillekc said:
I don't know the answer to your question, but here's a thought anyway. All else being equal, I would choose to attend the medical school that did not favor legacies.

I would advise directly the opposite...Do you think getting into med school 30 years from now will be any easier? Dont you think your kids will thank you if you attend a "legacy-friendly" med school now?

sgopal2 said:
I would advise directly the opposite...Do you think getting into med school 30 years from now will be any easier? Dont you think your kids will thank you if you attend a "legacy-friendly" med school now?

Some one in my family went to a top 5 and the alumni assoc tries to hit him up for donations every month. They also send a yearly report reveiling the donations made by everyone over the past year. It's pretty ridiculous. But, I can see how being favorable to legacies helps the school financially. When it comes down to it schools want funding. It's I scratch your back, you scratch mine situation--if you let my kids in, we give you money for many generations.

TheMightyAngus said:
Some one in my family went to a top 5 and the alumni assoc tries to hit him up for donations every month. They also send a yearly report reveiling the donations made by everyone over the past year. It's pretty ridiculous. But, I can see how being favorable to legacies helps the school financially. When it comes down to it schools want funding. It's I scratch your back, you scratch mine situation--if you let my kids in, we give you money for many generations.

what if your parents WORK for a medical school? one of my parents is an MD who works as a professor at a university of california school. any thoughts on this situation?

TheMightyAngus said:

I have a question about that as well...my dad went to Johns Hopkins, but not for a medical degree. They call us constantly for donations and he's a pretty active alumni member. Could this help me at all in terms of a medical admission?

It will help probably only if they ask if you have any connections. Also primary family is most favorable. Having a name on a building helps as well.

BrettBatchelor said:
It will help probably only if they ask if you have any connections. Also primary family is most favorable. Having a name on a building helps as well.

I agree. Usually legacies mean that your parents graduated from the department that issues the degree. So having a parent graduate from Harvard college or Harvard Law won't help you get into HMS, unless they are famous alumni and/or endow the school with massive amounts of funding.

I think that having a family member on the faculty of the school you are applying to can help in certain situations. But, I know that Boalt Hall Law School at Berkeley doesn't give preference for children of faculty. Again, this is law, not medicine. I was just interested if anyone heard any rumors or stories regarding the policies of various programs.