Legit resources that I can go to look up information on pet medications?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrinkandDerive

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am working towards working in pet compounding when I get licensed as a pharmacist at the end of the month. I am wondering what drug resources (apps, websites, etc) that I could access not being a vet student of course, so I can provide better care for my pet patients? Any other information you think I should know would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I am working towards working in pet compounding when I get licensed as a pharmacist at the end of the month. I am wondering what drug resources (apps, websites, etc) that I could access not being a vet student of course, so I can provide better care for my pet patients? Any other information you think I should know would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Know that the dosage for an animal can often be insanely different than that for a human. If you have questions, call the vet, we're happy to talk with you. Don't just make "suggestions" to the owner or change the dose as has happened to many vets before. Examples of some medications that can that can be vastly different include levothyroxine and anti-anxiety medications in general. There are many more but those have been the ones I've had most trouble with pharmacists insisting we are overdosing and in some cases having them change my dose.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Plumb's is a great resource for veterinary pharmacology.
My pharmacy school (as I can only speak on behalf of mine) didn't have any courses on pet meds. It's maddening really that most pharm students are on their own. I really appreciate your answer as my question was on the basic end. Thanks again!