Legitamcy of Sigma Alpha Lambda?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goatface13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This sounds ridiculous, but I just received a letter from my school inviting me to join, but there is a one time 68 dollar fee. I am not cheap or anything, but I heard sometimes it's not as great as it sounds. Is it? It's a national leadership and honors organization.

Members don't see this ad.

You will be spending $68 for nothing. Go buy some nice jeans or take your s/o out for a decent dinner. That would be more worthwhile.

Members don't see this ad :)
Use the money to join "who's who among _______" instead.

I joined the Alpha Lambda Delta and Alpha Chi honors societies on a whim after I got invited. You get a nice certificate and a pin. The rest of pretty mundane. I think we had bi-weekly meetings... I never went to any of them.

It is usually only recommended to join Phi Kappa Phi or Phi Beta Kappa if invited as these are the two most prestigious societies you can join as an undergraduate. These two honors societies are similar to Alpha Omega Alpha, the medical school equivalent of Phi Beta Kappa. Someone correct me if I am mistaken.

If you want to join it, you should. Otherwise, it's not going to help you in getting into med school unless you take on some leadership positions.

I'd rather just spend the money on cheesecake.

Thanks guys!

I don't think I'm going to join it. I'm looking into Alpha Phi Omega (service frat) and Alpha Epsilon Delta (pre-med honors society)

Thanks guys!

I don't think I'm going to join it. I'm looking into Alpha Phi Omega (service frat) and Alpha Epsilon Delta (pre-med honors society)

In my opinion, the main benefit of these organizations is to get you involved in volunteering opportunities. I don't think adcoms really care what clubs you were in unless you are in a leadership position.