Dec 19, 2013
Status
Medical Student
When I sit still and study for periods over 2-3 hours my legs feel colder than normal and I begin to pump my gastroc to get blood flow. I was wondering how common this was, and if I should wear compression pants or socks to help keep warm and also get the veins closed off?

OP
Bathrover
Dec 19, 2013
Status
Medical Student
I like to walk around to "digest" information but when I sit still I can focus much better on things and am more productive.
I usually notice when exam time comes around a lot of people move their legs constantly when studying.

JP2740

7+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2009
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Go see a doc bla bla derp derp.

I swear studying long hours does weird **** to you. I had fasiculations all around my body one point, and I was getting weird temperature sensations like someone spilling water on my arm at random times. My vision would randomly blur.

I went to a neurologist who diagnosed me with anxiety evoked hypersympathetic sensations. lel

sinombre

carboloading
7+ Year Member
May 20, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Go see a doc bla bla derp derp.

I swear studying long hours does weird **** to you. I had fasiculations all around my body one point, and I was getting weird temperature sensations like someone spilling water on my arm at random times. My vision would randomly blur.

I went to a neurologist who diagnosed me with anxiety evoked hypersympathetic sensations. lel
I'm also a member of the benign fasciculation while studying club.

OP
Bathrover
Dec 19, 2013
Status
Medical Student
If you study long enough you start to hallucinate and become paranoid =)

sinombre

carboloading
7+ Year Member
May 20, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
**** scared me man.

brb i have ALS, my life is over. brb i have MS getting on crazy drugs.

Doctor was like "You are why I regret doing neuro. Didn't know I have to deal with so many ***** like you."
I was like "Gee, thanks I guess. Well cya."
Jeez, that neurologist sounds like a ray of sunshine. Fortunately I had a professor warn my class about benign fasciculations during my first year neuro block so I didn't have the same impending doom feeling.

Sep 26, 2014
Status
Medical Student
What do you mean by your legs getting cold? Is it a feeling of numbness?

OP
Bathrover
Dec 19, 2013
Status
Medical Student
No not numbness exactly, it feels like less blood flow that is probably why a lot of people pump their legs when sitting down and studying; I am sure most of you have seen what I am talking about.

...Fasiculations on the other hand happen from increased contractility of muscles, probably from coffee like Kahreek mentioned.

wjs010

7+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2012
Status
Medical Student
I like to walk around to "digest" information but when I sit still I can focus much better on things and am more productive.
I usually notice when exam time comes around a lot of people move their legs constantly when studying.
Studies have shown better recall and test taking because of increased o2 to the brain. I would say I'm gonna try this on my next exam but I probably shake a lot anyway. Feels good. Lol

OP
Bathrover
Dec 19, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Might as well take ginseng, ginger, and gingko biloba... wear sweatpants and sweatshirts with a beanie hat =)

SurgeDO

5+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
whenever i study, i do leg lifts that are imperceptible to the human eye. they're called hummingbirds.

Reactions: NontradCA

Chansey

MS-0
Oct 5, 2014
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Same thing happens to me. I use these boots that I purchased on Amazon. They look ridiculous, but they make my feet feel so, so good... They saved me when I was cramming for the MCAT in the dead of winter. There are also heated socks or blankets you can get.

NontradCA

American Hero
7+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2012
Trump Tower
Status
Medical Student
Brain cancer.

Reactions: Fluffy Pomeranian

fancymylotus

A Whole New World
10+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2004
:love: Get one!! They make everything in life so much happier :) And they look so adorable when you carry them around in a cute purse.

Working on bothering the appropriate people into getting me one :D or two...or a pack of them

Reactions: Fluffy Pomeranian

plumazul

☮, ♥, & ♫
5+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2011
Status
MD/PhD Student
How about buying a foot stool? Take the pressure off your thighs.

MikeSimouns

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Jul 19, 2015
Status
Pre-Podiatry
I have felt that before and what I did was I massage my legs and get some menthol ointment until I felt am feeling a better.

styphon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2001
New york
Status
Attending Physician
**** scared me man.

brb i have ALS, my life is over. brb i have MS getting on crazy drugs.

Doctor was like "You are why I regret doing neuro. Didn't know I have to deal with so many ****s like you."
I was like "Gee, thanks I guess. Well cya."
Give me this doctor's name, he will be a perfect referral for my anxious "oh my god I have *insert disease of the month*" pts.

Reactions: Psai

Penguin Fan

5+ Year Member
May 12, 2013
Status
Pharmacist
My last semester of undergrad I had a DVT from sitting for too long studying, granted I have a genetic mutation that I didn't find out about until the clot occurred. But even without the mutation I think its very unhealthy to be sitting for hours at a time.

moisne

5+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2014
1. Are you wearing pants?
2. Is the AC on?
3. Buy a heated blanket/space heater
4. Don't sit so long, You'll get DVT like that kid ^

When I sit still and study for periods over 2-3 hours my legs feel colder than normal and I begin to pump my gastroc to get blood flow. I was wondering how common this was, and if I should wear compression pants or socks to help keep warm and also get the veins closed off?

ortnakas

DO PGY-2
5+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I got an under-desk bike first year-- it's basically just pedals. It might help you stay warm, plus while it's definitely not legit exercise, it burns more calories than sitting.

Oct 19, 2015
Status
Medical Student
You may need to get that checked out -- I am sure a lot of people on this forum can help you. Any takers??