Lemme outa here

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roygbasch

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone out there doing rads or trained in rads from another specialty?
Did you switch in the middle or finish then go back?
I imagine this would be hard as hell to do with rads being as in demand as it is these days. Hate to think I'm already trapped with 30 years to go...

Members don't see this ad.

Plenty of practicing radiologists are ex somethings. Traditionally many ex-surgeons (or rather ex GS 3rd years), but I know even an ex-ENT.

It used to be the standard way to get into rads. After you toiled away on the floors for 2-3 years, you 'saw the light' and went for a rads residency.

It has gotten hard to do that. Rads PD's think they are gods gift to mankind and that they don't have to converse with mere mortals anymore. With even the crappiest community programs getting applications from 250+ expensive pedigree candidates, it has gotten harder to do the switch.

(What allways kept me from doing rads was 'that you sit in the dark all day and you don't have any patient contact'. After two years on the floors I realized that 'sitting in the dark all day and not having patient contact' are the key advantages of radiology.)

f_w said:
(What allways kept me from doing rads was 'that you sit in the dark all day and you don't have any patient contact'. After two years on the floors I realized that 'sitting in the dark all day and not having patient contact' are the key advantages of radiology.)

Amen, brother/sister. Not to mention how brain numbing it is to be a clinical doc 99% of the time. Patient contact is highly overrated (well, maybe not in this forum, anyway!). You can't really appreciate how stupid and crazy a fair percentage of all people are until you become a doc. I'm going to do it right next time.