length/content of DO letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monsonss

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have someone willing to write me a DO letter of rec, a guy I don't know super well but have talked to a few times. He's wondering how long the letter ought to be. I already have four letters from professors who know me well and another physician (my supervisor, an MD). I have been told that letters under a page or a page and a half in length can make you look bad, but since this letter is more to "check the box" for DO letter than anything else, is it alright if the letter is a bit shorter? The guy just doesn't know me that well and I don't want to have to ask him to write me more than a page.

Members don't see this ad.

I have someone willing to write me a DO letter of rec, a guy I don't know super well but have talked to a few times. He's wondering how long the letter ought to be. I already have four letters from professors who know me well and another physician (my supervisor, an MD). I have been told that letters under a page or a page and a half in length can make you look bad, but since this letter is more to "check the box" for DO letter than anything else, is it alright if the letter is a bit shorter? The guy just doesn't know me that well and I don't want to have to ask him to write me more than a page.
There is no required length just know that Committee members can tell if you are just checking the box or if the writer really knows you and your experiences.