Length of the PTCAS essay

Started by EmmaLee
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

EmmaLee

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The maximum length for the PTCAS essay is 4500 characters with spaces. Is everyone writing close to this? or way less?

The reason I am asking is because at some point I feel like I am chatting their ear off and it seems very lengthy. Should I make my point and stop or try to make it close to 4500 characters w/ spaces?

Thanks!
 
I am not done with my essay yet so I don't know how many characters I will end up with, but I have always heard that it is better to just say what you want to say even if it ends up somewhat shorter than the maximum length rather than stretch it out when you feel you have nothing else to say.
 
I agree that you should just say what you want to say as succinctly as possible. There is no need to reach 4500 characters if you can say what you want to say in less. The people reading hundreds of essays will appreciate those who get to the point rather than chatting away.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Mine was only 3800 characters and feel like it is really strong. I was talking to people who got into grad school last year and they appreciate if you can answer the question in an informative but short and sweet manner, no fluff.
 
I used all 4500 characters. It really wasn't hard for me to write a lot. Some schools don't interview so I think its important to get as much across about yourself as possible. If you think you got your point across then there is no need to go on and on.
 
Tell them why you and PT are compatible, how you arrived at your decision to be a PT, and close. If it's 2500 characters, great. The admissions committee will probably thank you.

Kevin