Program-Specific Info / Q's Lenoir Rhyne vs Radford

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JennDaereon

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been accepted at both Radford University Carilion and Lenoir Rhyne in NC. They are both private schools so tuition is about the same. I'm leaning towards Radford just because I was very impressed by their faculty and I like the idea of attending school in a hospital setting. Anyone have any feedback or personal experience they could share?

I've also been waitlisted at WSSU and haven't heard anything. I need to submit my decision to Radford by Friday.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I was also accepted to Radford University Carilion and waitlisted at WSSU. I put down my deposit at RUC and will be attending there, I visited the area and loved it! I have been trying to meet others that will be attending RUC, let me know if you end up choosing RUC it would be nice to talk to someone else that will be in the cohort!

Reactions: 1 user
Actually, Radford-Carilon is not private. It is now joined up with Radford University, same professors and curriculum etc ( I think they have separate fieldwork advisors for each location). Currently they have not set tuition for both campuses to be the same (I imagine it will have a delay with this covid-19 which is good for me being out of state), but I imagine by the second year of the program tuition will match (which currently at the main campus out of state tuiton is more while in state is a lot less, ie a virigina resident at the main campus would pay 40,000ish for the program).

I was also accepted to RUC and have been applying to schools closer to me (Utah) for the past 3 years with no acceptance only waitlist or denied. With this I have been to plenty of schools interview and met faculty. I honestly loved the faculty at Radford, they are truly passionate for the field and all have different practice areas, whereas other schools tend to have professors in only a couple practice settings. I find that this is beneficial for students to get an idea of what settings we might enjoy. I know they were saying at the interview that being in a hospital setting mean we won't be going and dealing directly with the patients, but we will be sharing the elevators etc and get to have interactions that way.

A couple of the students at my interview were asked if they like the program. One hesitated with her answer, but once again I've also met plenty of students at various programs and recognized there was something they did not like about their program. I will say being from Utah I randomly found out about Radford from a student who was completing her fieldwork here (I took a resident from my job to an OT appointment). She loved the program (and was on her last week). If it wasn't for this review I would have never even known about Radford (especially since they don't use otcas).

Hopefully this is helpful. I know it's only on the Radford end of the spectrum but its all I can say.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I was also accepted to Radford University Carilion and waitlisted at WSSU. I put down my deposit at RUC and will be attending there, I visited the area and loved it! I have been trying to meet others that will be attending RUC, let me know if you end up choosing RUC it would be nice to talk to someone else that will be in the cohort!
Yes!! Absolutely. I'm probably going to accept the seat today or tomorrow. I really loved the area when I visited for my interview. Would love to chat!! I'm on FB as Jenn Daereon.

Actually, Radford-Carilon is not private. It is now joined up with Radford University, same professors and curriculum etc ( I think they have separate fieldwork advisors for each location). Currently they have not set tuition for both campuses to be the same (I imagine it will have a delay with this covid-19 which is good for me being out of state), but I imagine by the second year of the program tuition will match (which currently at the main campus out of state tuiton is more while in state is a lot less, ie a virigina resident at the main campus would pay 40,000ish for the program).

I was also accepted to RUC and have been applying to schools closer to me (Utah) for the past 3 years with no acceptance only waitlist or denied. With this I have been to plenty of schools interview and met faculty. I honestly loved the faculty at Radford, they are truly passionate for the field and all have different practice areas, whereas other schools tend to have professors in only a couple practice settings. I find that this is beneficial for students to get an idea of what settings we might enjoy. I know they were saying at the interview that being in a hospital setting mean we won't be going and dealing directly with the patients, but we will be sharing the elevators etc and get to have interactions that way.

A couple of the students at my interview were asked if they like the program. One hesitated with her answer, but once again I've also met plenty of students at various programs and recognized there was something they did not like about their program. I will say being from Utah I randomly found out about Radford from a student who was completing her fieldwork here (I took a resident from my job to an OT appointment). She loved the program (and was on her last week). If it wasn't for this review I would have never even known about Radford (especially since they don't use otcas).

Hopefully this is helpful. I know it's only on the Radford end of the spectrum but its all I can say.
Yes, thank you. I'm aware of the merger as it was explained during the interview process. Dr. Smidl said that they were working to make the tuition equal at both locations but it will take time.

Yes, thank you. I'm aware of the merger as it was explained during the interview process. Dr. Smidl said that they were working to make the tuition equal at both locations but it will take time.
Yeah I realized after I had put this on there that you would have known because it definitely would have been discussed at the interview. I hope it didn't come across in a negative way.

I just officially put my deposit down this afternoon!

Yeah I realized after I had put this on there that you would have known because it definitely would have been discussed at the interview. I hope it didn't come across in a negative way.

I just officially put my deposit down this afternoon!
Not at all!! It's a confusing situation. I didn't know how to word it to try to get the point across since it's charging private school tuition..haha. Yes!! So happy for you. Congratulations!!! :) I will be accepting tomorrow (unless WSSU emails me). Started my apartment search this afternoon.