Lenovo Yoga C930 vs Dell Inspiron 15 7000 2-in-1? What’s better for school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tlccreepwaterfalls

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dell Inspiron black 7000 2-in-1 7586
$1,232.04
4K display— 15.6-inch UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife Touch Narrow Border IPS Display with Active Pen support 16GB, 16GBx1, DDR4, 2666MHz 8th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U Processor (8MB Cache, up to 4.6 GHz) 256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive NVIDIA GeForce MX150 2GB GDDR5 56WHr, 4-Cell Battery (Integrated)

Lenovo yoga 14” c930 ~$1196
Processor : CoretM i7-8550U Processor (1.80GHz, up to 4.OOGHz with Turbo Boost, 8MB Cache)
Total Memory : 16GB DDR4 2400MHz (Onboard)
Graphic Card : Integrated Graphics (Pretty sure it’s the intel hd graphics 620)
Display : 13.9" FHD (1920 x 1080) Glossy Multi-touch
Camera : 720p HD Camera Hard Drive : 256GB Solid State Drive, PCIe-NVME M.2
Battery : 4 Cell Li-Cyllinder Battery, 60Wh

Yoga pros**
More precise/less sloppy writing with pen
Better battery life 10+ hours, dell is 5to6 hours)
Brighter screen (dell’s is dark at maximum)
Pros that aren’t a big deal to me
Lighter weight , Better sound

**Cons**
Smaller screen (not significant but I do like the larger 15.6 size)
Screen slightly more flimsy when in laptop mode (moves more when writing with pen)
Not 4K(i can't really tell the difference)
12gb instead of 16gb
Worse Graphics card?
Only 1usb, no hdmi, would need to buy adapter with more USB ports and hdmi

**Basically I’m concerned that the dell**

1. isn’t as good in quality overall 2. battery life is worse 3. Writing with pen isn’t as good 4. Screen isn’t very bright

Most Specs are slightly better in the dell and I like the larger screen, but idk if I should return and get the Lenovo based on the fact everyone says lenovo is better and i don't really need the better specs that the dell has for my purposes. i just assumed the better specs = improved longevity&reliability

Anything in regards to med school I’m missing?

Members don't see this ad.

1. Dell laptops hold up well, I've had several over the years. They're my go-to brand when recommending a laptop to friends and family.

2. According to the review linked below, about 6.5 hours of web browsing with the Dell, versus 9 hours with the Lenovo.

3. The review below might address this.

4. The review below doesn't ding it for being too dim. The actual measured brightness of the screens seems to be about equal.

Notebookcheck has incredibly detailed reviews.

You generally don’t want 4K displays on 15.6 inch or smaller laptops because the difference isn’t that noticeable, costs a lot more and drains battery. Personally I’d return the Dell for the same model but just with a FHD screen.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely try out a FHD 1080P 15" laptop before buying one. I consider 14" the largest I'll go with a 1080p screen. Anything above 14" needs at least a 1440p screen, imo.

Interesting. I’m leaning towards the Lenovo because writing with the pen is far superior, but if I stick with the dell maybe I’ll get the regular and ditch the 4K. In addition It’s going to be a pain to have only 1 usb and no hdmi but I’ll get some dongles.

Thank you!

Inspirons are generally really nice... except for that hinge-breaking scandal that happened a while back to one of their models...

I have the yoga 730-15 IKB or something like that and I love it. The pen is nice, but not that useful if you're not doing art

If you're speccing them out yourself you don't need an i7, and i5 will be more than adequate for anything that you will be doing. You could probably even get away with an i3 these days. You'll also get a boost in battery life. As others have said 4k at 15.6 is just not really that smart. Generally the screen will be scaled at 200% so you can actually see anything, and at that point why not just save the money (and battery) and just go 1080p. Brightness complaints are usually not as drastic as they make it seem in my opinion. Unless you plan to be studying outside a significant amount of time where you'd actually need to crank up the brightness, it is going to be fine. I personally can't stand touch screen anything so I can't make any comments on the pen situation.

Also unless you plan on gaming the graphics card means nothing except a battery drain.