MD Less competitive application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

difran04

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a junior biology major, I transferred from a state college after I got my AA (previous community college) to a university. Normal GPA: 3.689 -Science GPA: 3.594 (all my pre-req except bio-chem). I have 100 volunteer hours at my old elementary school where I was sort of like a teachers assistant. I would help kids with reading, or help them get their backpacks together. 100 volunteer hours with Hospice at the resale shoppe raising money for the palliative care that patients receive. 30 hours at my local hospital (one semester) I went around to patients rooms and chatted with them, or made sure they were comfortable, "hydration girl". Next semester I am a baby cuddler at my local hospital....20 hours with Habitat for Humanity (going to continue next semester), helped build homes for people who would otherwise not be able to have a home of their own. This is the first semester in college that I didn't work. I am pharmacy tech certified with 200 hours done. I am trying to get into an equal access clinic this spring. Currently working on shadowing. I previously worked at a drugstore 2+years, and at my local ymca as a summer camp counselor.

I have not done research yet. I know that research is important, but I was thinking about focusing all my energy on the equal access clinic (if I got in). I was thinking about taking the MCAT in May, and hopefully applying this June. I'm just not sure if I can justify spending the money with what I feel like is a less competitive application. I feel like I might have a better chance of racking in more hours if I applied next summer (2018) instead.

Any ideas?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If your MCAT is 500 or higher you would be competitive for some DO schools. If 508 or higher you could receive interviews for some MD schools. Where is your state of residence?

Im in Florida! I was looking into DO, but I'm not sure yet. I'm just not sure if it's worth applying this year or not. I'm starting to study for my MCATS now in December.

Members don't see this ad :)
If your MCAT is 500 or higher you would be competitive for some DO schools. If 508 or higher you could receive interviews for some MD schools. Where is your state of residence?

Im in Florida! I was looking into DO, but I'm not sure yet. I'm just not sure if it's worth applying this year or not. I'm starting to study for my MCATS now in December.

You could receive interviews at some of the Florida schools but without an actual MCAT it is difficult to advise you as to whether you should apply in 2017 or 2018. Post your MCAT score here when available

You could receive interviews at some of the Florida schools but without an actual MCAT it is difficult to advise you as to whether you should apply in 2017 or 2018. Post your MCAT score here when available

Do you think i should be worried about my extracurricular stuff? I feel like I need a lot more.