Less Competitive NY Programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MasterintuBater

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Getting ready to submit my ERAS and was just curious. I'm not the most competitive applicant in the pool (hopefully not the least either) so I'm just casting a wide net on my program submissions. Any programs that I should definitely include on the list from NY? There are so many it is kind of overwhelming and hard to sift through them realistically. Really don't want to waste any money applying to programs that are most likely out of my league as well. I'm also a D.O. so any D.O. -unfriendly programs can be eliminated too.
Thanks for your help!! This forum has been extremely helpful in the past.

Here's the one's I've put on the list so far:
New York Medical College (Metropolitan) Program, New York, NY
Emergency Medicine

Lincoln Medical Center Program, Bronx, NY
Emergency Medicine

Brooklyn Hospital Center Program, Brooklyn, NY
Emergency Medicine

St Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center Program, New York, NY
Emergency Medicine

University of Rochester Program, Rochester, NY
Emergency Medicine

New York Methodist Hospital Program, Brooklyn, NY
Emergency Medicine

Maimonides Medical Center Program, Brooklyn, NY
Emergency Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

from what i heard st lukes roosevelt is one of the more competive. Its supposed to be the best 3 year program in ny

mikegoal said:
from what i heard st lukes roosevelt is one of the more competive. Its supposed to be the best 3 year program in ny

:D

Indeed it is. It gets more competitive every year and we matched very high on our list the past 3 or 4 years. but you should apply anyway. Like alot of things, its not really JUST about your scores. If you really want to by in NYC, you should apply to all the programs here. You never know. We don't tend to have many DO residents, but we have had one or two.. just not in the last 2 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure if you wanted only New York City programs, but University of Rochester is in Rochester which is in western New York (1 hour east of Buffalo). You'd be surprised that a lot of people don't realize this and think we're in NYC. Although we did match a DO this year I can tell you that the hospital as a whole is very DO unfriendly so unless you are a very strong applicant, have a compelling reason to come to Rochester, or really want to be here, it's probably not worth your $$ to apply.

I really recommend applying to all the programs in new york. There is a new program in queens as well. one of our intern's spouses is there. You should also look at SUNY downstate. They have several DO's on faculty and its a great program. It tends to be a little less competitive because its a four year, and a county, in the truest sense of the work, but the residents are really amazing. They are also building a new ED. I think its set to be done next year....

Last edited:
Hey guys,
MD MS4 applying EM in 13 days! Like the OP, I too am a pretty (below) avg applicant. Both Steps 220-225, MS3 clinicals: 50/50 HP/P, Pre-clincals avg: ~76, 3 EM sub-Is: HP/HP/hopefully H (awaiting).
I've been reading some reviews and browsing program websites, but really not familiar with the NYC programs. Would love to get some insight post-2004.
Already applying to Rochester, Syracuse, Albany.
My questions is, which NYC programs fall into safety (doubt any), target, and reaches for my profile?
Thanks in advance!

No love for Buffalo? Plenty of DOs here :)

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Congrats on bumping a nearly decade old thread.

If you're really intent in being in the NYC area above all else, you should strongly consider applying to the two Newark, NJ programs (Beth Israel and UMDNJ-Newark). They seem to be slightly less competitive then the NYC programs because people miss them because they're not technically NYC, though about half (or maybe more now) of the residents live in places like Hoboken or Jersey City which are across the river from manhattan and just an easy of a trip in as say from Queens or Bronx.