Less obvious reasons for post (zoom) interview rejection rather than waitlist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wtny

Reaction score
As the title suggests, what are some reasons why someone would get rejected after an interview (especially at a school that seems to practically waitlist everyone they don't accept)? As someone who has been accepted elsewhere post-interview (so it can't necessarily be a lack of social skills) and has other IIs (so it can't necessarily be a poor application)?

Members don't see this ad.

Lack of mission fit would be the main one I think about.

Also, depending on the relative rank of the schools, I've seen students who were really cocky / overconfident that they would easily get an offer (because they got an offer at X or Y better place) and bombed it for that reason.

Reactions: 5 users
As the title suggests, what are some reasons why someone would get rejected after an interview (especially at a school that seems to practically waitlist everyone they don't accept)? As someone who has been accepted elsewhere post-interview (so it can't necessarily be a lack of social skills) and has other IIs (so it can't necessarily be a poor application)?
You might very well have had a bad interview day. Not everyone bats 1.000

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! Definitely didn't feel overconfident during the interview because it felt like a "target" school (if that even exists) and all of my interviewers commented on how they admired my enthusiasm and how well I got to know the school.

I agree it definitely wasn't my best interview, but I've had objectively worse interviews where I've still been accepted or waitlisted... Is there anything that someone could unintentionally do on zoom or say in an update letter that would be an immediate rejection? Because now I'm second guessing all of the other interviews I've done and yet to hear back from. I really want to learn from this so I don't make this mistake (whatever it may be) again?

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
The hardest part of selection processes (like admissions) is to not overthink it.

For me, faculty job applications was the most soul-sucking process in the world. Most places you never hear back from- some even ghost you post inviting you out for an interview- and you're going to apply to 60-100 places to maybe land 1-2 offers.

What it taught me was the importance of letting go. Once you submit an application, once you complete an interview... forget about that particular school. You will hear back, at which point you can think about them again, or you won't, in which case you've already moved on.

It's hard to do, but the gain in sanity is immeasurably worthwhile. Once there's no longer anything you can do to alter the end-result of the process, let it go and focus on things where you are having an impact.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Thanks! Definitely didn't feel overconfident during the interview because it felt like a "target" school (if that even exists) and all of my interviewers commented on how they admired my enthusiasm and how well I got to know the school.

I agree it definitely wasn't my best interview, but I've had objectively worse interviews where I've still been accepted or waitlisted... Is there anything that someone could unintentionally do on zoom or say in an update letter that would be an immediate rejection? Because now I'm second guessing all of the other interviews I've done and yet to hear back from. I really want to learn from this so I don't make this mistake (whatever it may be) again?
Rule number one is to stop taking this personally. Not everybody is going to get 100% acceptance rate.

Also keep in mind that people are terrible judges of their own interview performance. You might have thought you did well, but obviously the interviewers and the admissions committee did not.

Also remember that interviewers are trained to be polite. No one's going to say to you "wow you really sucked."

Last edited:
As someone who has been accepted elsewhere post-interview (so it can't necessarily be a lack of social skills) and has other IIs (so it can't necessarily be a poor application)?
Chill out. Relax. Why are you worrying about your question? Imposter syndrome?

Reactions: 1 users
I suspect that one of your interviewers didn't like something you said or did, which resulted in a poor evaluation (and subsequently your post-II rejection). There is some luck in being matched with a compatible interviewer. Regardless, you will be a physician, so congratulations! Just my thoughts.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users