Less patients for DOs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

what2do

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the DO to MD thread, someone said that the MD makes the practice more competitive.

For those of you who shadowed DOs or are in rotations, do DOs have a harder time getting as many patients?! What do they mean by becoming more competitive...or is that a faulty statement?

thanx

Members don't see this ad.

I have never run into a DO that has any trouble competing in practice with MDs (and there are many of both where I live). Much of the time MDs and DOs work together in practices.

Originally posted by what2do
In the DO to MD thread, someone said that the MD makes the practice more competitive.

For those of you who shadowed DOs or are in rotations, do DOs have a harder time getting as many patients?! What do they mean by becoming more competitive...or is that a faulty statement?

thanx

Never. I've never seen a DO on my 3rd or 4th year rotations who had trouble finding patients. A lot of times they had to hire other physicians (MD or DO) or ARNP/PAs to help them out with their patient load. A lot of times, yhou'll find patients who will only see "DOs" as they prefer them.

As for me, the patient who presents to the ER has no choice but to see me! Hahah

Q, DO

Members don't see this ad :)
The general public don't know that DO even existed. There are MDs everywhere, so I doubt that having a "MD" will make you stand out.

Besides, I doubt the public will care about undergraduate GPA/MCAT/USMLE/COMLEX. I mean, if they're willing to take medical advice from a teenager working behind a counter of a health-food supplement store, what would make you think they will avoid DOs for MDs?

How would you explain cliche like "It's safe because it's all natural"? I guess drinking this hemlock is perfectly safe because it's all natural.

"No one has ever gone broke underestimating the intelligence of the public"

Don't worry about the MD v DO debate when dealing with the public. Few will notice, and only premeds will care.

I just finished my family practice rotation with a DO who is so busy that he is not accepting any more patients. Just to get an idea of how many patients he has - he has almost 90 patients with the last name Miller. (One of the nurses I guess counted them one day.) So he is having absolutely no trouble.

i was referred to a dermatologist a long time ago, and i've gone to him for 10 years. i only found out when i was applying last year that he was a DO. I had no clue. Maybe i'm an idiot, but I have a feeling I'm not the only one. I guess some people peer at their doctor's diplomas on the wall, but i didn't. a lot of patients just go where other's recommend or where they are referred, and its quite possible that they may not even know. . . so i don't think you need to worry about finding future patients. plenty will find you, one way or another. everyone feels crappy at some point :rolleyes:

Originally posted by what2do

I've come to the conclusion that this is something most pre-MD's and some MD's say to feed a superiority complex. I shadowed a DO for a number of years and he was as busy as he wanted to be. I think when I left to go to school the wait to get a new apointment was about 1.5-2 months, and he got busy enough to were he hired a NP to help out.

if they're willing to take medical advice from a teenager working behind a counter of a health-food supplement store,

haha... good point!

something most pre-MD's and some MD's say to feed a superiority complex

Another good one. Ever notice it's always the MD's saying their better than DOs? I have a few psych-orientated comments to make here, yet I'll refrain - after all, we are going to be working together.

DO/MD - I really thought that went out with the hoola-hoop (literally). The new enemy is PA/CNP's - who take away from billing... remember, there is only so many sick people... (sarcasm there).

-A

You wouldn't believe the "pro DO" responses nurses give me...as I am a DO in an MD residency, many say (to the dismay of the MD's next to me) "DO's are like MD's but they learn extra stuff"..." I would only go to a DO because I just like them better"..."I would rather be a DO than an MD because the Do residents are nicer and not nearly as self-absorbed"

The comments aren't so complimentary for DO hospitals.
The truth is...only premeds make a bid deal of it.

okay. Thanx for your responses. Now let me add to this.

Do you think, or have you heard, that life is harder for a DO than an MD after residency?

Forgive me for sounding harsh, yet if you have this many insecurities over osteopathic medicine - why are you interested in pursuing it as a career?

As posted 100,001 times on SDN and everywhere else, as naseum, - in the grand scheme of life, there is no difference between DO and MD.

Work hard, read alot, listen to your patients, and kiss your attendings ass sometimes and you'll be a good doctor. what more is there?

Some people like vanilla, some people like chocolate ice cream. Some people don't like ice cream - they're dentists.

Don't trust people that don't like ice cream...

-A

I agree with Amra, the world is not like SDN. You won't have the initials behind your name called into question every 5 seconds as some people would like you to believe and you won't starve for patients or have to scrape the bottom of the bucket for residency spots. The whole DO/MD debate is tired, but it will never ever end. In fact there is one going on in pre-allo right now and it's a rehash of the same tired arguments as before (on both sides). Put your nose to grind stone and work hard. If you work hard and do well nobody is going to care if your DO or MD or XZ or EY or whatever it is that you are.