Lessons I've Learned During This Process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

embracepeace

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The cycle is almost over. For some, it's already over and, for others, it's still a waiting game. Throughout the year, we've had tons of arguments, debates, extreme joy, and crushing disappointment.

During my time in this cycle, here are the things I've learned about the cycle and SDN:

1. Generally, applying early is KEY. This is what everyone says and I believe it to be true. HOWEVER, even if you didn't apply that early (say, the opening day), it's not the end of the world and you CAN have a successful cycle (take it from someone who applied in December).
2. MD/DO debates are like Internet WWIII.
3. This cycle can be absolutely SOUL CRUSHING. I've never had such emotional highs and lows in one year!
4. Yet, looking back, I don't remember much except for the WAITING.
5. There are a lot of so-called "experts" on SDN that act like the all-knowing mesiah, but are just in the same boat as the rest of us.
6. DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS.
7. If you apply broadly, you have a great chance of getting in SOMEWHERE, unless your personality is that of a wet napkin.
8. There are a lot of threads asking about the ability of DOs to specialize. And a lot of 'what are my chances' threads, and a lot of ambiguity/hate/skepticism about LUCOM.
9. The general concensus is 'YAY' for the merger.
10. We've had a hell of a year! To those that were successful, I wish you all the best of luck. To those that weren't, please keep at it! And I'm wishing you the very, very best.

What have you learned this cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Above everything else, the best advice I can give is to apply early. It helps a ton. Things get busy around late sep/ october and you want to at least try to have everything submitted by then. No it's not the end of the cycle if you don't, but definitely try to have that primary in on the first day. I put 3 schools down on my primary and interviewed at 2 of them. Put in more for the secondaries of course.

Luckily all my interviews were crunched together so it felt like ripping off bandaids quickly. The interviews were back to back and my experience just kept getting better and better.

Applying early would really have helped me mentally. I remember around Sept-Oct I was turning in secondaries while everyone else was talking about how amazing their interviews were. Interviewing towards the end of the year while everyone else had secured a seat was really nerve wracking but I'm glad it worked out in the end.

I also wish I had known how laid back these interviews would be. I went in there ready defend any deficiencies and the interviewers just wanted to talk and get a sense of who I was. If I had been a tad more confident I probably would have turned a few WL positions into acceptances.

1.) Apply early as possible. Have all your stuff ready and filled out on the first day.

2.) Just be yourself during the interview.

3.) Limit your traveling to places where it snows a lot during Dec-Jan. You will definitely run into issues with weather. Carry your interviewing stuff with you on the plane as a carry on no matter what.

4.) Don't think you know everything and have it all figured out. I've seen some people get rejected because they are so stubborn. Now I know why some people end up applying 3-4 times before getting accepted.

Reactions: 2 users
I couldn't agree more about all of the excruciating waiting! That was one part that I didn't realize was going to be as painful as it was, and I feel like I didn't have it as bad as others.

Reactions: 1 users
To people applying in a few months:

Applying is a lot of work but going to interviews is amazing so look forward to it. Everything is going to be worth it when you get that phone call. Even getting interview invites is a huge rush. Don't get discouraged by rejections, you will get lots of them. Just figure out how to improve next time (if reapplying) and throw it away & forget about it.

There are a lot of pre-meds that think they're Ben Carson and haven't even taken the MCAT yet. Just ignore them, you're going to be doing it for a loooong time. Most of them will change their "passion" to finance or dentistry or something.

Reactions: 6 users
I really like the theme of this thread, and generally agree with all of this advice. Applying broadly was a great call.

Things I goofed up on and learned from:

*Take MCAT prep seriously. 3-4 weeks is not enough for most people (at least it wasn't for me). Oh also don't take the MCAT for the first time the month after the application cycle opens.

*APPLY EARLY (most of my secondaries were complete in December due to waiting on a physician LOR).

*Bring warm clothes if interviewing in a cold state. Yikes…

*Apply to enough schools and relatively broadly (get some variety in there). You will be surprised at the areas you end up liking and prefer to live/study in.

*STOP listening to the SDN know-it-alls. According to them, I had zero chance at acceptance this year, or any year for that matter. Most are trolls and keyboard cowboys that have way too much spare time.

Needless to say, I am proud to be part of the class of 2018. Best of luck to future applicants! Just keep your head in the game.

Things I goofed up on and learned from:

*Apply to enough schools and relatively broadly (get some variety in there). You will be surprised at the areas you end up liking and prefer to live/study in.

*STOP listening to the SDN know-it-alls. According to them, I had zero chance at acceptance this year, or any year for that matter. Most are trolls and keyboard cowboys that have way too much spare time.

All of your post, but highlighting this..

Reactions: 1 user
+1 on getting your LORs in early.

I've seen so many posts where the applicant is still waiting for an LOR to come in. Imagine getting everything turned in and just waiting for your LORs!

+1 on getting your LORs in early.

I've seen so many posts where the applicant is still waiting for an LOR to come in. Imagine getting everything turned in and just waiting for your LORs!

Yep, my primary app went out late September as it is, then secondaries rolled around a few weeks later. Sat on my rear for some time just waiting for one measly LOR, while the schools I applied to kept sending courtesy emails telling me I am missing a LOR. I drove my doc and her entire practice CRAZY. Got them all real nice holiday baskets for Christmas hahah. That being said, future applicants, MAKE SURE you have all your ducks in a row before applying. It will make things much smoother.

1. Apply early.
2. Be confident in what you have to offer.
3. Have a lot of patience.
4. Profit.

Members don't see this ad :)
I learned that there are so many judgmental and arrogant people in the medical field. I hope I don't become one of them.

As a future applicant, I'd like to thank you all for giving your input. If there's anything I've learned so far in apply, it's to apply EARLY and to get your LOR's in ASAP. Still have my "pen" at the ready for other tips.

for encouragement, an mdapps user with below average numbers (3.2/27) who applied early and received THIRTEEN interviews:

http://www.mdapplicants.com/profile.php?id=27675&refname=Search Results&refuri=search,search_appstatus:accepted,search_school:147,psr:0,orderby:,order:

In that same line of encouragement, I'd like to offer the scientific field of statistics - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statistics

Although anecdote can get us fired up emotionally, chances are you won't be that special snowflake. Unless of course, the Adcom consists of your mother.

As Dr. Goro says, apply with the best possible packet. Don't buy into magical thinking, whether it be about how your MCAT will turn out, or your chances.

Luckily all my interviews were crunched together so it felt like ripping off bandaids quickly. The interviews were back to back and my experience just kept getting better and better.

Applying early would really have helped me mentally. I remember around Sept-Oct I was turning in secondaries while everyone else was talking about how amazing their interviews were. Interviewing towards the end of the year while everyone else had secured a seat was really nerve wracking but I'm glad it worked out in the end.

I also wish I had known how laid back these interviews would be. I went in there ready defend any deficiencies and the interviewers just wanted to talk and get a sense of who I was. If I had been a tad more confident I probably would have turned a few WL positions into acceptances.

1.) Apply early as possible. Have all your stuff ready and filled out on the first day.

2.) Just be yourself during the interview.

3.) Limit your traveling to places where it snows a lot during Dec-Jan. You will definitely run into issues with weather. Carry your interviewing stuff with you on the plane as a carry on no matter what.

4.) Don't think you know everything and have it all figured out. I've seen some people get rejected because they are so stubborn. Now I know why some people end up applying 3-4 times before getting accepted.
Every time I heard about someone getting an interview at my top choice felt like a stab right in the gut. I'm just glad I got into that school.

1) apply early!!!!

2) you will wait, a lot. It sucks, but you have to.

3) do practice interviews with someone who intimidates you

4) ask for LOR as soon as possible and use interface

5) be yourself during interviews. If they don't want you for you, you don't want to be there.

6) stay with friends during interviews as much as possible. This process is expensive, so try and cut corners as much as possible.

1) apply early!!!!

2) you will wait, a lot. It sucks, but you have to.

3) do practice interviews with someone who intimidates you

4) ask for LOR as soon as possible and use interface

5) be yourself during interviews. If they don't want you for you, you don't want to be there.

6) stay with friends during interviews as much as possible. This process is expensive, so try and cut corners as much as possible.

Because I was so focused on the application and med school itself, I never truly thought about the costs.

MAKE SURE YOU BUDGET.

@Goro

Throughout this cycle, what were some major do's and don'ts you noticed from your end of the application process? And what would your advice be for the future applicants starting this process?

Because I was so focused on the application and med school itself, I never truly thought about the costs.

MAKE SURE YOU BUDGET.
This is so true. I had to get a credit card just for the process. Also, don't forget deposits exist.

0% interest credit card is your best friend

MAKE SURE YOU BUDGET.

Looking back I can't believe how quickly this process gets expensive.

Primaries and secondaries were somewhere around $2k I believe (applied broadly DO). Interfolio costs $19/year and then $6 per delivery (I believe re-delivery or adding letters to a school is free). A flight can be from $200-$500 depending on location. Hotel room is another $100/night. Now I'm paying my second $1,000 deposit.

I had $10k allocated for this cycle and I probably burned through 3/4 of it in 4 months because I didn't budget properly.

1.) Always tell the Hotel that you're interviewing at _______ University. Try and make the reservation 3-4 weeks ahead because some hotels will offer bigger discounts for that. I kept running into applicants who didn't check with the hotel for the interviewing rate. They ended up in hotels where they paid $30-40/night more for less amenities.

2.) For LECOM-B it might be cheaper to fly into Tampa and drive to Bradenton rather than fly into Bradenton. Flying to Tampa was like $500 + cost of rental car + 2-3 hour drive while flying into Bradenton would have cost me ~$1,000.

3.) I spent wayyy too much eating out. Most of the hotels had free breakfast/microwave/fridge. I should have just taken up 3 plates of breakfast and stored it in the fridge rather than spend $60 on food everyday. That eggplant parmesan was amazing though...

4.) For my KCUMB interview I found 3 people to chip in for the ride back to the airport. Total car rental was $60 or something and everyone paid $20. The person with the rental only paid $20 for 2 days and we paid less than it would have to take a cab/shuttle.

5.) I didn't even apply to TouroNY because of the $200 secondary. I don't want to live in NYC anyway.

6.) Use Google Flights to see cheapest airfare.

I would like to add a tip for those considering the AACOMAS fee waiver.

Make sure you apply as soon as the application opens (it usually does in beginning of May). You will need your SAR. In order to get the SAR, you need to have your FAFSA filled out and processed beforehand.

This saved me around 1000 dollars between waiving the primary fee for 3 schools and the secondary fee for 70% of the schools I applied to.

Also, to echo whatever everybody has been saying, APPLY EARLY!

This thread is stressing me out. It's going to be a long year.

Do not apply until you have the best possible app
Do NOT take the MCAT until you're fully ready.
Make sure your LOR writers know you well enough to write a good LOR
ECs: While not required by med schools, they really are so make sure to have enough patient contact experience (volunteer or otherwise), have some research experience, and non non-clinical volunteer experience. Demonstrate your altruism and humanity.
Medical missions are not really useful unless your actually digging water wells or delivering babies.
Don't bother with LOIs. They're worthless.
KNOW what you're getting into.
1 or 2 Cs will not kill your medical career. Ditto W's.
It's OK to take coursework at CCs, especially if you're a non-trad, or doing grade repair, or are a transfer student from a CC with an AA/AS degree, going to a 4 year UG school.
The more eyeballs looking over your app, the better.
Worry about getting into medical school before worrying about your residencies/specialties.
Always remember it's a marathon, not a sprint. You're in this for the long haul.
Have or develop good coping skills
Have good time mgt skills. We expect you to walk and chew gum at the same time.
Invest in MSAR and apply strategically. If you have an MCAT of 31 and GPA of 3.5, you're not getting into Harvard or UCSF. Rosy F or NYMC, most probably, and that's fine!
If you're a poor standardized test taker, get that fixed.
Don't have cookie cutter ECs. Do something that will make you stand out.
We're not impressed by double majors, or any minor. Take courses that interest you, and do well in them. THAT impresses us.
It's OK to be human. There are med schools that indeed reward reinvention. rising trends ARE a good thing.
LEARN from your mistakes.

Do NOT bull your way through a semester if life throws you a bean-ball. Take the Ws, not the F/D/C.
Ditto for the MCAT. If you're sick that day, or your beloved dog dies, do NOT take the test. Or, void the test.
Do NOT take the MCAT cold! We consider poor choice making as a factor in who we accept. Prepare as needed. Take as many practice tests as needed.
If you're applying to MD schools, do NOT think that a high MCAT will overcome a poor GPA (or vice versa).
Do NOT go into Medicine if it's your parents' choice, and not yours.
Apply early. That's June or July for MD. June through Dec for DO.
Do NOT expect that one more LOR will somehow move you off of a wait list.
do NOT re-take the MCAT if your score is >30, even if imbalanced. Retaking with a good MCAT score is an exercise in hubris.
Do NOT be discouraged by rejection. Get feedback, improve on your deficits, and apply stronger the next cycle.
Do NOT apply to a school you have no intention of attending. Do your homework and think hard about living in X city for four years.
In that same vein, make sure you have a support group in the area. Homesickness is real.

At interviews, do NOT babble. Be concise. Display grace under pressure. Know what's in your packet. Do NOT lie. Do NOT embellish. Look over the Feedback forum for the types of questions asked at particular schools.
Make eye contact, even if this is not normal for your culture.

Hope that helps

@Goro

Throughout this cycle, what were some major do's and don'ts you noticed from your end of the application process? And what would your advice be for the future applicants starting this process?

Last edited:
Reactions: 23 users
1.) Don't bother with LOIs. They're worthless.

2.) Make eye contact, even if this is not normal for your culture.

Hope that helps

This post is absolute GOLD. Future applicants should print this out and put it up on their wall. I wish I had this when I started applying last year.

Just a few things I'm hoping I can get your opinion on.

1.) Some schools told me to send in a LOI (letter of intent) and that it would show them I was interested in attending there.

2.) Sometimes it's very difficult to keep eye contact. I know of a culture where it's extremely disrespectful to look elders in the eye. I remember reading a story where someone was severely beaten by an adult (not related) because he made kept eye contact with an elder.

3.) When I'm speaking in English sometimes I stop right before saying the word "you" in a sentence for a moment. In my language we have 2 ways to say "you". One is for an adult and one is for your peers. In English we only have one way to say "you".

If the school welcomes the LOI, that's fine. But most schools don't.

1.) Some schools told me to send in a LOI (letter of intent) and that it would show them I was interested in attending there.

I know, but this is the USA, and in our culture, looking at the floor while speaking implies a reticent disposition. Therefore, this aspect needs to be fixed for interviews. Patients want you to look at them and touch them, too.

2.) Sometimes it's very difficult to keep eye contact. I know of a culture where it's extremely disrespectful to look elders in the eye. I remember reading a story where someone was severely beaten by an adult (not related) because he made kept eye contact with an elder.

As long as your interviewer can understand you, I think you'll be OK.

3.) When I'm speaking in English sometimes I stop right before saying the word "you" in a sentence for a moment. In my language we have 2 ways to say "you". One is for an adult and one is for your peers. In English we only have one way to say "you".[/quote]

Don't have cookie cutter ECs. Do something that will make you stand out.

By cookie cutter ECs you mean the clinical volunteering/shadowing a physician/research?

One thing I've learned, interviews don't matter as much as people think.

just curious as to why you think this? although i must say...sometimes i feel as if their decision is made when before the interview

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

just curious as to why you think this? although i must say...sometimes i feel as if their decision is made when before the interview

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

I've had some great, great, interviews then they waitlist me because of GPA or somethingo_O. I say wtf? Couldn't you see that in my AMCAS? Why interview me?

Then I've had some interviews that lasted 15-20 minutes =acceptance, acceptance, acceptance o_O. At this point I think interviews are just another part of the application for the school to consider you fully. BTW with all the money I spent on interviews this season, I think Skype interview have to be in the near future.

poor interviews are usually lethal, while good interviews have mixed results.

They won't always help you if you do well, but they will burn your chances if you do badly.

Here's an example

200 hrs hospital volunteer
50 hrs shadowing radiologist and ER docs
1 yr. research in cell biology lab
2 yrs volunteer at Race for Life and Breast Ca walkathons
1 yr. Treasurer for Mu Kappa Mu fraternity (note I made the name up!)

By cookie cutter ECs you mean the clinical volunteering/shadowing a physician/research?

For ECs, mine were very focused and most I had been doing for at least 3 years. I *think* part of what adcoms are looking for is dedication.

And do something that is interesting to you, outside of the stuff that everyone does.

Goro, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

So as someone still playing the waiting game this late in the cycle here is my advice/thoughts on applying to medical school (Sorry if I'm just repeating something already said):

1. Like everyone said apply early and broadly (I didn't do either and here I am not sitting as pretty as I would have liked to be at this point).

2. Start asking for LOR's NOW!!!! most school accept Interfolio so you can get that out of the way now!!!

3. DO NOT let the stats on SDN deter you or give you too much hope!! Every application is different. No one can explain why 2 people with the same stats have totally different experiences so don't drive yourself crazy with that. However, school averages are a good place to start when making your list.

4. Be more than your numbers, invest in ECs. They are fun and adcoms love them!

Last edited:
Here's an example

I read stuff like this on a sample personal statement at a workshop. I was bored by it. The person never really explained why the things they did were meaningful, it read like an essay-form resume.
If the school welcomes the LOI, that's fine. But most schools don't.
I know, but this is the USA, and in our culture, looking at the floor while speaking implies a reticent disposition. Therefore, this aspect needs to be fixed for interviews. Patients want you to look at them and touch them, too.

Yeah, I had to learn this late in my teens. It seemed natural not to hold eye contact but that's the way it is here.

100% agree! It's good to think outside the box. Just as an example, not all patient contact experience has to be in a hospital.

Think hospice, nursing homes, rehab facilities, camps for sick children, or clinics. Check out your local houses of worship for volunteer opportunities.

And do something that is interesting to you, outside of the stuff that everyone does.

Here's an example

I agree with this 100000000%. I talked to someone on my grad committee who was also on the admission's committee at my med school and he mentioned that EVERYONE EVERYONE EVERYONE EVERYONE has shadowing experience. EVERYONE. Stuff like shadowing, research and everything you mentioned Goro, my committee member said everyone applicant had. It's the "weird" "unusual" "my head does a double take" applications that are really starting to stand out. Especially with how competitive med school is becoming.

Kind of weird that "unique" would somehow translate into "better doctor'?

I mean I have stuff that I think is unique so I am not too worried. But its kind of a shame that someone who has worked ridiculously hard and has done what he/she needs to do, and will absolutely make an excellent doctor, can be overlooked because they dont have that factor that "makes people double take" (what subjective meaning that has).

How many seasons can an adcom be present before having seen it all?

Just trying to spark some conversation.

Ahh, you're missing the point. I think anyone with a B avg and better, and a decent MCAT score, can be a good doctor, or, aleast, handle medical school.

But put yourself in my shoes (you might be there some day...many schools have students on the interview panel).

How do you differentiate among the 2000 people with fine MCAT and GPAs who are vying for the 150 seats at yoru school???

A "cookie cutter" like the above example, or someone who work at a campe for sick kids? Someone who worked in a hospice or nursing home? A veteran? Started their own company? A charity?

To better identify people who will make good doctors, we look for people who diplay thier altruism and humantiy, and thier desire to serve others, not merely those who check off a list. In other words, we look for peopel who are passionate about what they do, not merely are doing whatever is convenient.

Kind of weird that "unique" would somehow translate into "better doctor'?

Alas, Saucy, it's a sellers market, and we have to turn away hundreds if not thousands, of qualified applicants.

I mean I have stuff that I think is unique so I am not too worried. But its kind of a shame that someone who has worked ridiculously hard and has done what he/she needs to do, and will absolutely make an excellent doctor, can be overlooked because they dont have that factor that "makes people double take" (what subjective meaning that has).

quote]

This. I've had seemingly poor interviews where I was accepted. I think people underestimate how much your stats still matter even after the interview.

What I have learned along the way:
1) Kaplan is wayyyy over priced and really not worth the money for the class. Just grab the book and study on your own.
2) SDN is a good resource, but there is a lot of bias and trolling... finding the unbiased answer can be a challenge.
3) Working hard and doing extra things are a huge plus, so try to get as many things under your belt before applying.
4) MCAT is an antiquated, annoying, and fairly useless exam... but it is required and it's the way it's always been done. My friend on the admissions board at a big allopathic school doesn't look so much at MCAT as he does at GPA, LOR, extracurricular stuff, and trying to figure out if you are a motivated enough individual to go through this process.
5) A lot of schools are looking at non-trads now and having a graduate degree doesn't hurt either.
6) Apply broadly, if you have that option and money. You never know what school will find you interesting.
7) If you want this bad enough, you will get it.
8) When interviewing, don't look or act like a douche, everyone picks up on that.
9) This whole process is very similar to dating... you are sending these signals to all these girls/guys that you like them (application), they respond back +/- (invites), you go on a date with them (II), and if it is a good fit... you are invited in after the date is over to knock boots (accepted!)
10) Staying positive is a good thing

Best of luck to you all.

What I learned during any given interview day:

1) you're always going to get a handful of annoying people from So Cal who complain that the weather on the east coast is too cold for their liking (if the interview is on the east coast). "Umm like oh EM gee I'm from LA"

2) at least 1-2 know-it-alls who act like they're too good for the school they're interviewing at, and ask really complicated questions just to sound impressive and profound.

3) a really high number of people from one particular state (the state may vary from interview to interview)

4) that awkward guy/girl who is too shy to talk or speak up

5) that party guy/girl who thinks they're cool, and not your typical pre-med because they party and drink all the time (to their credit though he/she is usually good looking with a good physique)

6) a couple of non-trads who make you feel awkward because they're old enough to be your parent.

7) that poor Canadian who doesn't have a clue on American culture

8) a handful of locals from the surrounding area of where the school is located

I've been on 5 interviews where I found this to be the case. Maybe you guys have a different experience. Lolzz

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
What I learned during any given interview day:

1) you're always going to get a handful of annoying people from So Cal who complain that the weather on the east coast is too cold for their liking (if the interview is on the east coast)

2) at least 1-2 know-it-alls who act like they're too good for the school they're interviewing at, and ask really complicated questions just to sound impressive and profound.

3) a random group of people from one particular state (this may vary from interview to interview)

4) that awkward guy/girl who is too shy to talk or speak up

5) that party guy/girl who thinks they're cool, and not your typical pre-med because they party and drink all the time (to their credit though he/she is usually good looking with a good physique)

6) a couple of non-trads who make you feel awkward because they're old enough to be your parent.

7) that poor Canadian who doesn't have a clue on American culture

8) a handful of locals from the surrounding area of where the school is located

I've been on 5 interviews where I found this to be the case. Maybe you guys have a different experience. Lolzz

HAHAHAHA!!! This is very true... I fit in the non-trad group... but I'm still young... but I guess that is relative. I am not even close to being old enough to have a child applying for medical school! I know a couple people my age whose children are just starting daycare. I liked the party guy who was at my interview b/c I knew he really didn't have a shot and made a slot open for me. This guy was a complete clown.... actually it's funny b/c I was thinking that he looked hung-over. Never had the Canadian experience, but sounds funny.

That's pretty good Chillywilly

I would also add the guy/gal who asks everyone where else they interviewed/where accepted at.

The inappropriately dressed person.

The person you figure out is also from SDN but you don't want to bring it up and be awkward

Then cool people like me ;)

That's pretty good Chillywilly

I would also add the guy/gal who asks everyone where else they interviewed/where accepted at.

The inappropriately dressed person.

The person you figure out is also from SDN but you don't want to bring it up and be awkward

Then cool people like me ;)
Yes! Especially to that annoying person that asks about your other interviews and acceptances!! Good one lol