Let me know...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SnudgeMuffin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone out there interested in surgery, do you guys know which medical schools are really good at placing their students into surgery residency programs??? I tried to find some sort of a ranking, but miserably failed. I also tried looking at the match results from couple schools, but I have no way of knowing what is good or bad (Is it the number of students who gets into the programs?) Just confused. This might help me alot with narrowing down my list. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

As has been mentioned in several other posts, school name DOES seem to make a bit of difference when applying to residency, but quite frankly, it's YOU that gets YOU into a surgery residency, not your school's "program". YOU have to do well in med school, do well on your boards, have good letters of recc, AND interview well. Coming from a "good" program without YOUR input will no more get you into surgery than having a 2.0 undergrad gpa at Harvard will get you into medical school....

I'd worry more about your medical school performance than what school has the best match rate in the nation! If you do really well in med school, you'll get your residency regardless of what school you're at. Besides, "general" surgery rotations aren't that hard to come by, no matter what your grades are (although the "best" ones will obviously go to the best applicants). You can be in the bottom 1/3 and still get surgery residencies...