Let us in...please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bridgie

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have no doubt that I am not alone as I sit here on a couple waitlists. Just wanted to share a little info with everyone: last year my roomate was accepted to about 8 schools and was waitlisted to about 4 more. She held every single spot until May 15th. That is alot of happy people who probably got off waitlists- everything from state schools to top tier. Have hope.

And for those of you like my roommate, please try to be more considerate. It is just the right thing to do. Especially when you are absolutely sure you will not be going to a school. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I absolutely agree. I only have one acceptance so far, but I'm going to start withdrawing my app and cancelling interviews at schools I don't want to go to as much as the one I'm already in.

As for your roommate, what she did not only sounds mean, but also against her own best interests. Any time you set an acceptance "free" it starts a chain reaction of acceptance off of waitlists. Eventually, the chain reaction can lead right back to you, ie, someone will get in off of a waitlist at one school, and let go of an acceptance at the school *you're* waitlisted at! If your roommate had dropped out of just a few of those 8 schools sooner, she might have gotten in off of one of the waitlists sooner! I know this is idealistic, but just think, if everyone let go of acceptances they didn't want sooner, we'd *all* be in better shape.

Yes, of course I understand the need to hold on to acceptances for purposes of financial aid . . . 2, 3, 4 is fine, but 8 is ridiculous! Who in their right mind would want to keep all that money tied up in deposits?

i'm withdrawing from all but three schools, including

two acceptances (slu and gw)
two waitlists (uva and tulane)
two schools for which i have now cancelled interviews (tufts and mizzou)
two schools i haven't heard from post-interview (vermont and bu)
and two schools who've yet to show interest (northwestern and upenn)

i'm waiting post-interview on stanford, although i suspect i'd pick wash u over stanford.

i've yet to hear from harvard, but i'd probably pick wash u over harvard.

so that at least makes a few openings here and there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by bridgie
last year my roomate was accepted to about 8 schools and was waitlisted to about 4 more. She held every single spot until May 15th.

what was her fuc#@$# stat!!!

8 acceptance? good for her, BUT holding it until may 15th...

kinda piss me off...

for those above average smart ass ppl...i understand that it is hard for you to decide among those awesome schools...

but please consider average or even below average applicant like us...

waiting for a phone call, e-mail, or snail mail...every single freakin day...

AND choose your god da@# school!!!

sorry i'm very pissy right now...one of my friend is also holding 7 acceptances and won't even try to decide whichone he wants...

just playing around...then he will decide on may 15th, also...

oh well...average ppl like me just have to wait until smart ass get all they need and then try to go for the leftover or some crumbs at the end...

this is where i can see what adcadet was saying about how there needs to be some serious reform in this process. its so disjointed and you're hearing from some schools in october and some in april. i've been accepted to several quality schools now, and i feel like an @ss holding onto them, but my "top" choices aren't saying anything till march :rolleyes:

although i do think its lame for someone to hold acceptances to a school they wouldn't go to, it does in part make sense to hold multiple acceptances for bargaining with financial aid/scholarships. thats why i think they should make the timing more uniform between schools so this wouldn't happen to people :mad:

I think someone should start an OFFICIAL: WITHDRAWN application thread and then a school listing, maybe or not?

Originally posted by DukeBluDevl02
I think someone should start an OFFICIAL: WITHDRAWN application thread and then a school listing, maybe or not?

Having come on to SDN at the end of the last app cycle (for those peeps who are now MS1s), I remember an "Official Waitlist Movement" thread that would accomplish this purpose. SDNers would post both acceptances that they themselves had withdrawn and also information that they had gotten from schools at which they were waitlisted (ie, obsessively calling the secretary every day asking if there was movement).

Edit: And holding acceptances at 8 schools is reprehensible. Could this girl not even generate some sort of ranking or rule out at least one or two of the schools?
We should start thinking right now about ranking the schools we're still waiting on. For example, I know that if Einstein accepts me on Jan 15th (omg, fingers crossed), I will withdraw my application at Loyola but not at UCHSC. See how easy that is?!

No applicant can truely make a decision until after financial aid has been figured out. In my opinion, a person can ethically hold 10+ acceptances up until they know what their financial options are. Unless of course a person knows that he/she would go to school A with no aid at all over a full scholarship and school B.

Hi, this is a pretty unrelated question, so no one get mad at me please. But Wash U seems like such a dream school-- and I was wondering "what it takes" to get in. Would you say it was high GPA, MCATs for you or some other unique characteristics?

Thanks,

Karen

Originally posted by relatively prime
No applicant can truely make a decision until after financial aid has been figured out. In my opinion, a person can ethically hold 10+ acceptances up until they know what their financial options are. Unless of course a person knows that he/she would go to school A with no aid at all over a full scholarship and school B.

i understand that financial aid is important factor to decide...

but still... 8 acceptance (or even 10+) ?

you can narrow it down to some,not 10, without knowing how much you will get...comparing every single dime...

Originally posted by scootad.
greedy narcissistic f*cks

Are you refering to WashU or the person holding 8 acceptances? ;) :D

Originally posted by relatively prime

How soon can schools give us complete financial aid info? For example, does GW tell you if you are going to get any scholarships when they admit you? If they accept me and can tell me that I'm not getting any aid, I'll quickly send them a rejection letter of my own.

Dear. George Washington University,

Thank you for your interest in admitting me as a medical student. I write to inform you of what will undoubtedly be bad news. I have thoroughly reviewed your admission information, and unfortunately will not have time to attend your institution in the Fall of 2003. This year there are many excellent medical schools, and it is simply impossible for me to attend every well-qualified school. This decision in no way reflects on your ability to attract quality students and your future as an institution of medical education. I wish you the best of luck in your educational pursuits.

Sincerely,
Adcadet

Oh come on now... I'm sure it hurts them as much as it hurts us ;)

About financial aird... you won't know what kind of aid you're getting until feburary (at the earliest... assuming you turn in everything ASAP and the med school is right on top of things). Regarding scholarships... usually schools tell you if you are being considered for an academic scholarship when they tell you about your acceptance.

Originally posted by Adcadet

Thank you for your interest in admitting me as a medical student. I write to inform you of what will undoubtedly be bad news. I have thoroughly reviewed your admission information, and unfortunately will not have time to attend your institution in the Fall of 2003. This year there are many excellent medical schools, and it is simply impossible for me to attend every well-qualified school. This decision in no way reflects on your ability to attract quality students and your future as an institution of medical education. I wish you the best of luck in your educational pursuits.

Sincerely,
Adcadet

:laugh: I like it! :laugh: :laugh:

How soon can schools give us complete financial aid info? For example, does GW tell you if you are going to get any scholarships when they admit you? If they accept me and can tell me that I'm not getting any aid, I'll quickly send them a rejection letter of my own.

Sincerely,
Adcadet

oh the vengeful person that is me. I almost had an e-orgasm reading that. It's sad, so very sad that you can't really send this one in. **sigh** still waiting for an interview.

ug. the holder of all those acceptances really bothers me. yes, i agree w/RP on the fin aid perspective .... to a point. i doubt this person was waiting for 8 financial aid packages to come thru. i don't know about everyone else, but after i go to each school, i mentally (and when i get home, on paper) rank each one of them. including details like "wouldn't go if it were free" and "would pick X over Y if X gives me more money." right now i've gotten things narrowed down pretty quick. one "omfg they let me in, here i come regardless of cost!" one "great school, top choice if the orgasmic one is a rejection, regardless of cost" and then about 2 more that i'm considering but will wait on fin info. the rest just fall into line somewhere behind those 4-or-so. once (if one of the higher-up considerations accepts me, i promptly withdraw from all others lower down on the list. b/c what is my 'eh, not really' school is another's dream school and vice versa.

my (long winded) point being, i'm sure one could narrow it down to a few less than 8 by the time may 15th rolls around. i'm sure this is the majority opinion around here... i'm just expressing annoyance at the inconsideration of that person. i know lots of people on this forum will make a point to not be that inconsiderate person. :love: :clap:

Sincerely,
Adcadet
[/i]

like it!!! :laugh:
love it!!! :laugh:
definitely will use it IF i get to!!! :laugh:
someone let me know if you get to use this one to med school...seriously...

Originally posted by karen44
Hi, this is a pretty unrelated question, so no one get mad at me please. But Wash U seems like such a dream school-- and I was wondering "what it takes" to get in. Would you say it was high GPA, MCATs for you or some other unique characteristics?

Thanks,

Karen
There is an earlier thread on this from a month or two ago. Use the search function.