Let's all grow up for a minute...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stayce

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of the reasons I chose to pursue a career in health care is that I always admired people that took the time to care about others. Health care providers have incredible jobs that affect numerous lives everyday and harvest the trust from their patients. I can remember several doctors and PA?s that I have gone to and worked with and I can say one thing for sure. At no time did I stop and say "Oh my god, look at this guys credentials, GPA, experience before school, initials after his name, etc. that makes him a great person" It makes me upset to read the constant posts on this website and others about who?s experience is better, who?s title is better, who?s job is better.

I can honestly say it NOBODY?S JOB IS BETTER THAN THE NEXT. Yes a doctor makes more than a nursing assistant, but I don?t see doctors running around getting patients dressed or changing soiled sheets. Maybe an MD gets more recognition that a chiropractor or dentist, but I did not go see an MD/DO when my I had a tooth ache. Each job serves a different function and unique role. I have known a few nurses I hold in higher regard than MD?s, a few nursing assistants I trust more than my dentist, and a few PA?s that have worked as hard as any surgeon out there. The recognition and prestige should not come with a title, but rather with the person in question.

How can we truly care for patients non-judgementally when we are so consumed with judging each other in the field. If only everyone could take this negative energy and focus it into bettering their own career and selfs, then we could make health care something to be proud of instead of another pissing match for MD vs. DO, Podiatrists vs. MD, PA vs. MD, PA vs NP, PT vs OT and so on.
Let?s start thanking each other for the crutial roles we play and quit trying to get the respect we all think we deserve. Respectable people earn respect from character, not from a title. Heck, I know respectable construction workers, pizza makers, RNs, MDs, and they all earrned their respect, etc. Letters after a name won?t cut it if you?re looking for prestige and respect, the way you treat people will earn you that.

We are all adults. Let?s leave this kind of negative attitude back in high school where it seems to have been formed.

Ok..I?m done venting now?

Members don't see this ad.

Stayce,
I agree. I have a quote up in my bathroom that says "true wealth is what you are, not what you have." Maybe we could all work in the context our respective professions to become better people. If someone, for example, wants a DO rather than an MD degree, the reasons are personal. A credential does not make the person. Good luck - don't lose that vision! :)

I agree with everybody here. This is not the place to post people's opinions about other people's careers. It is for sharing ideas and giving advice and talking about the profession. I think that we can all think of a time or a place when somebody really made an impact in our lives, and I bet that we all appreciate them. Ultimately, it is the patient that matters, and we should respect each other just as we respect our patients. I would hate to think of what we would do without MDs, PhDs, DOs, PAs, NPs, RNs, chiros, RTs, lab assistants, phlebotomists, etc. We have all been a patient at one point in our lives and it is because of these people that we probably chose to work in medicine as a career. I am proud to call these people my collegues, and sometimes, I don't think that they get the credit that they deserve. So, let me be the first to say that I appreciate them and am glad that I have the opportunity to have them as my friends.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good post and point, Stayce............maybe a few folks will wake up now and get on with the business of caring for people rather than their own egos............

Here! Here! If I wanted to be involved in constant bickering, and namecalling, I would have persued law. :p

Comparing a PA and an MD is like comparing a bachelors degree and a PhD. That is to say, there is no comparison. The sooner you realize this, the better off you, and your patients, will be.

Fluke, I have been practicing medicine as a PA in Buffalo for many years. Were are you practicing?? Whats that?? you dont? Then you have no idea what you are talking about son. Not only do good PA`s run circles around first and second year residents -- it will be four years AFTER you grad. before you earn what I do. Tell you anything?? Probobly not--you already know everything. Keep your eyes and ears open pal, your gonna need it.

Hey Liver Fluke, you have absolutely no clue about PA's. You must be a med student, because I don't know any physicians that would make a statement like that.

Just a side note: Last week Medscape (a medical info site geared toward physicians) ran a nice piece on the role of PA's in medicine.

As Stayce and others pointed out, there is room in healthcare for all of us, from the CNA's who clean up the vomit to the oncologists who treat the disease.

Ignorance is not bliss and perhaps people like Fluke need to learn a little more about the roles each of us play in health care.

I am so sad to see that already on a message meant to clarify how ridiculous comparison is, there are already people comparing careers. The point was to say nobody is better than another. PA's are not rejects from Med school but rather people who chose their career for a reason. It has gotten to a point where I hate reading posts online because the chip people carry on the shoulder comes across to those just trying to do a good job. Comparing a bachelor's degree to a PhD won't cure any diseases or impress anybody. Hopefully those who are pursuing PhDs are doing it to expand on their career, not play "Haha I am better than you."

If all these careers do is fight each other that saves me time from posting 'Why is healthcare so messed up?' I suddenly want to call my Dr., PA, and RN to thank them for putting their ego trips second to the wonderful care they have always provided me and my family.

To the rest of you with the positive attitudes, thank you for giving me faith in the healthcare system. I hope to one day work with any of you as a TEAM.
(For those of you with crap attitudes, find a dictionary and look up the word TEAM and TEAMWORK. You may be shocked at what you find)

Good point Stayce......But it will not sink into those who have the "I am superior attitude". I have no idea where you are in this medicine career business, (begining, middle etc) but sounds like you have a good start in the attitude it takes to get around here.........

Some of the med and PA students I read posting are humorous and grandiose..........

Ya know...ya just gotta worry about your own career and forget the bickering kids. I, personally am not gonna be drawn into the fracas again.

As a med student I must say that I totally disagree with Fluke to judge others that way.Being a physician doesn't mean that one has a right to think that others are less important.We must all respect each other as team members, medicine is not about gaining titles or higher ranks in the society,but it's about saving lives and helping others.I also would like to show my appreciation to all of you who are working so hard to help others and I too am greatful to have you as my collegues and friends.

Thank you again.

I have to agree with stayce on this one...time and time again...when I hear of a really great physician, nurse, or whatever its because of the fact that they truly give a damn...

Hello everyone, I usually don't post much, but I just wanted to say that the comments about pa's, np's, md's, and do's don't really matter. I work in a health care setting and I can tell you that everyone works as a team. (Except for some people)
For example, the fussing and bashing on certain healthcare professionals. In a healthcare setting you won't see everybody bashing about whether they have a BSN, NP, PA, MD, or DO, because it's very immature and besides when you work in a healthcare setting you won't have anytime to even think about those hideous things. Basically what I'm saying is that "good" healthcare professionals work together and listen to one another's opinions and learn from one another. No matter what "title" you behind your name. A doctor, nurse, PA, or NP can't work alone, they all rely on one another.