Let's collect teet everyone!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

busupshot83

S.D.N. Vet
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I keep hearing to start collecting teeth before entering dental school. Why is this?

The Musketeer

Guardian of Justice
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know in 2nd year you need teeth to practice your endo...

busupshot83

S.D.N. Vet
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The dental school does not supply this?

Bickle

future NYC taxi driver
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard that some schools dont require you to collect teeth, others do. In my case, I have to start getting a collection going since tufts does require at least 25-30 teeth to be collected before school starts.

preludexl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
LOL, you know when I saw the topic I was, um, thinking of something else. Collecting teet?;)

NotShorty

~Mr. Bright Side~
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yes, in the next 5 months before I begin classes, it is my full intention to collect as much teet as possible.:horns: :D

-NS

Dr.SpongeBobDDS

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
You will use your teeth for a variety of classes, only one of which will be endo. We have used teeth mounted in stone for a lot of operative exercises; sometimes plastic teeth just don't cut it. We have used them in dental anatomy exercises. And the nastiest ones we have used in the perio pre-clinic - ahhhhhhh!!!! If there is one class I detest in dental school it is perio-pre clinic. :mad: Scrape, scrape, scrape all afternoon. It's enough to make you crazy. :)

preludexl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by NotShorty
Yes, in the next 5 months before I begin classes, it is my full intention to collect as much teet as possible.:horns: :D

-NS
I heard Nova was a good place to start.

busupshot83

S.D.N. Vet
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
go hang out in a pedo-office, there's bound to be loose teet up in therre

DDSdude

Never Give Up...Never
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have acquired close to 1200 teeth in the last 6 months. Anybody need to buy some teeth!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

JesseBrad3

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If anyone needs teeth, I suggest you contact Mr. Reid at UCLA... apparently he's the goto man for all your body part needs.

ziptree

DDS
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by JesseBrad3
If anyone needs teeth, I suggest you contact Mr. Reid at UCLA... apparently he's the goto man for all your body part needs.

Haha. UCLA body part scandal...selling body parts? Ugh.

trypmo

Arch Fiend
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may be a weird question, BUT: If you're collecting teeth, how do you de-biohazard them? Is there a standard practice, like soak them in x% bleach solution for z hours and then they're ok to take home?

Does the process of de-biohazarding the teeth harm them, e.g. cause them to get really brittle? Does being out of a fluid environment cause them to change other than in outer appearance? What happens when the living cells in the tooth die: is the tooth affected structurally very much?

Questionsquestionsquestions...

busupshot83

S.D.N. Vet
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by trypmo
This may be a weird question, BUT: If you're collecting teeth, how do you de-biohazard them? Is there a standard practice, like soak them in x% bleach solution for z hours and then they're ok to take home?

Does the process of de-biohazarding the teeth harm them, e.g. cause them to get really brittle? Does being out of a fluid environment cause them to change other than in outer appearance? What happens when the living cells in the tooth die: is the tooth affected structurally very much?

Questionsquestionsquestions...

perhaps the only teeth you are allowed to collect are old ones, not fresh; thus, no need for biohazard caution?

lmgonza2

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey gang...i've been assisting for about 1.5 yrs now....and have a pretty good stock pile of teeth now. I keep them in a jar of 1:10 bleach solution. I've alos been told you could keep them in listerine.....i dunno about that.

just letting ya know!