• Pharmacy Job Market Webinar

Are you considering applying to pharmacy school but are concerned about job prospects when you graduate? Join us on Wednesday, July 28th at 8 PM Eastern to hear from three PharmDs about their experiences and options outside of retail pharmacy.

busupshot83

S.D.N. Vet
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2003
Texas
Status (Visible)
I keep hearing to start collecting teeth before entering dental school. Why is this?

About the Ads

Bickle

future NYC taxi driver
15+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2003
red sox nation
Status (Visible)
I've heard that some schools dont require you to collect teeth, others do. In my case, I have to start getting a collection going since tufts does require at least 25-30 teeth to be collected before school starts.

preludexl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 5, 2001
Status (Visible)
LOL, you know when I saw the topic I was, um, thinking of something else. Collecting teet?;)

Dr.SpongeBobDDS

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2004
The Krusty Krab Internet Cafe
Status (Visible)
You will use your teeth for a variety of classes, only one of which will be endo. We have used teeth mounted in stone for a lot of operative exercises; sometimes plastic teeth just don't cut it. We have used them in dental anatomy exercises. And the nastiest ones we have used in the perio pre-clinic - ahhhhhhh!!!! If there is one class I detest in dental school it is perio-pre clinic. :mad: Scrape, scrape, scrape all afternoon. It's enough to make you crazy. :)

preludexl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 5, 2001
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by NotShorty
Yes, in the next 5 months before I begin classes, it is my full intention to collect as much teet as possible.:horns: :D

-NS
I heard Nova was a good place to start.

DDSdude

Never Give Up...Never
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2003
Status (Visible)
I have acquired close to 1200 teeth in the last 6 months. Anybody need to buy some teeth!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

JesseBrad3

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2003
Status (Visible)
If anyone needs teeth, I suggest you contact Mr. Reid at UCLA... apparently he's the goto man for all your body part needs.

ziptree

DDS
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2003
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by JesseBrad3
If anyone needs teeth, I suggest you contact Mr. Reid at UCLA... apparently he's the goto man for all your body part needs.

Haha. UCLA body part scandal...selling body parts? Ugh.

trypmo

Arch Fiend
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2004
Texas
Status (Visible)
This may be a weird question, BUT: If you're collecting teeth, how do you de-biohazard them? Is there a standard practice, like soak them in x% bleach solution for z hours and then they're ok to take home?

Does the process of de-biohazarding the teeth harm them, e.g. cause them to get really brittle? Does being out of a fluid environment cause them to change other than in outer appearance? What happens when the living cells in the tooth die: is the tooth affected structurally very much?

Questionsquestionsquestions...

busupshot83

S.D.N. Vet
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2003
Texas
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by trypmo
This may be a weird question, BUT: If you're collecting teeth, how do you de-biohazard them? Is there a standard practice, like soak them in x% bleach solution for z hours and then they're ok to take home?

Does the process of de-biohazarding the teeth harm them, e.g. cause them to get really brittle? Does being out of a fluid environment cause them to change other than in outer appearance? What happens when the living cells in the tooth die: is the tooth affected structurally very much?

Questionsquestionsquestions...

perhaps the only teeth you are allowed to collect are old ones, not fresh; thus, no need for biohazard caution?

lmgonza2

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Status (Visible)
hey gang...i've been assisting for about 1.5 yrs now....and have a pretty good stock pile of teeth now. I keep them in a jar of 1:10 bleach solution. I've alos been told you could keep them in listerine.....i dunno about that.

just letting ya know!

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.