raekay

10+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2009
CA
Status
Pre-Medical
I have posted here before... Almost a year ago to be exact. I had decided then to start the process of pre-reqs and whatnot. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten very far...

But, I'm at it again :) My story? 26 years old, LVN for 2 years. Decided that the RN route would be good, but it isn't what I really want in life. So, Lord help me, I'm going for it. My situation has changed a little from last year, I'm currently working a night shift for a nursing agency that would allow me more than ample time to do any sort of studying. I think I've decided on a university to attend and a major to declare (still no bachelors). And I'm going to start planning a course of action, I need a way to attack this thing!

Any tips? What classes should I take first? Should I take some alone or with others? How do ya'll deal with stress and burnout? Any tips would be helpful :)

ArkansasRanger

10+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2009
Arkansas
Status
Pre-Medical
I have posted here before... Almost a year ago to be exact. I had decided then to start the process of pre-reqs and whatnot. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten very far...

But, I'm at it again :) My story? 26 years old, LVN for 2 years. Decided that the RN route would be good, but it isn't what I really want in life. So, Lord help me, I'm going for it. My situation has changed a little from last year, I'm currently working a night shift for a nursing agency that would allow me more than ample time to do any sort of studying. I think I've decided on a university to attend and a major to declare (still no bachelors). And I'm going to start planning a course of action, I need a way to attack this thing!

Any tips? What classes should I take first? Should I take some alone or with others? How do ya'll deal with stress and burnout? Any tips would be helpful :)
I guess your plan of study will be that of a typical degree path. You've probably got a long way to go so take it slow and easy. From the outset, you'll probably have to test the waters and see just how many classes you can actually take and do well in along with working full-time. Focus on the classes in front of you rather than the end goal. Do well, keep on working in a clinical environment since that will help, engage in some type of community service volunteerism, and you'll be as competitive as anyone. Good luck.

NerdyAndrea

Pre-Med Student
Feb 10, 2010
At my school
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi raekay:

Welcome to the journey. I have a total of 5 semesters left or 2.5 years, well after this semester I'll have 2 years left. I am a sophmore, So....I am on that lon joureny. It may be slightly longer give or take depending on how I have to take my courses.

Luckily I am not having to work which means I'm incredibly poor, but it also gives me LOTS of study time and lots of time to volunteer places on projects I wish to. It's a double edge sword, butworth it I feel. If you can work full time and do it, then go for it!

I took 17 credits this semester, and some of them are things that are really hard for me, so I am working my butt off.

Take it go for it, and don't give up. I think I am the oldest aytime traditional program student at my school. I am really enjoying University experience. It's the first one of my life.

Take it slow, enjoy it, do as much as you can with working, and don't put yourself into the ground. It's a little tougher as you're older, but every day, every minute is worth it.

Get with someone and talk with them bout your desire for pre-med. Do a Bachelor's degree in anything you like, and take the pre-reqs. I am in a Biology that is specifically geared toward getting all your pre-reqs in for med school, but I do love Biology. We have a GREAT pre-med advisor who is totally into learning from his students. So that is lucky.

Good luck, it's possible to do, and you will. Just remember when you feel a moment of the spark going out to rememberhow much you want to be a Doctor. Take time for yourself and reuvination. It's really important.

Andrea

NerdyAndrea

Pre-Med Student
Feb 10, 2010
At my school
Status
Pre-Medical
P.S. raekay, Arkansas Ranger has a lot of lifeexperience, and knows what he's talking about. I have seen a ton of good advice posted by him, and he's nice too, so I'd listen to him some, and many others on the board!

A