Let's end the war...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

idoc

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I guess it's my own fault for reading this board, but I am really thinking about stopping that. I am almost nauseated that this board is constantly plugged up with garbage about ophthalmology vs. optometry turf battle. True, I have been occassionally involved in the smack-off, but really it's become too much.

Actually, as Ophthalmologists, we should feel privileged that we have a group of well trained ancillary eye care providers that take much of the burden of routine eye care off of our hands. Ophthalmology may not have been quite as appealing to me if I though I would be doing contact lens fitting and manifest refracting all day long. I know that there are people on both sides of the symbiotic relationship that are trying to shift the balance in their own favor, but really in a perfect world, the situation could be great. I have a great deal of respect for optometrists when they practice within their scope. In my program, I have even sought them out to teach me optics, and refraction as their expertice is a function of exposure and repetition. So, for all of the negative posts on optometrists, I think the have an ESSENTIAL role in eye care.

Is that shocking? I don't know. Based on all of the inflammatory personal messages I have received from the ? pre-optometry/optometry students? I guess they will all be shocked. And I really could do without all of the "You must really be an insecure person" blah-blah-blah. Optometrists currently don't have psychoanalysis rights (Yet), so until then please leave that to the psychiatry/psychology turf wars. That is a joke, not meant to be offensive.

The solution? Maybe we should just have one big garbage forum titled Ophthalmology Vs. Optometry where we can just piss and moan about all how little money opthalmologists make, and how Optometry is soooooo well organized that we'll be lucky if we ever pay back our student loans. Give me a break. I'm not saying these issues of optometrists gaining surgical rights isn's scarey to me, or that we shouldn't be fighting it, but I have grown tired of reading everyone's recycled opinions.

I wish this board could go back to what it used to be...Med students interested in ophthalmology trying to get info from residents etc on what the specialty is like, what programs are good, etc, and educational posts on pathology, etc.

Oh, and by the way...I read a recent post slamming GeddyLee. GeddyLee is a nice guy who I've met personally on the interview trail. He does have higher board scores than the majority of matched applicants and he is a great candidate. So to any lurkers who are on this board, enough with the personal attacks on people. Lets all try to act like the professionals we claim to be.

Members don't see this ad.

idoc said:
Maybe we should just have one big garbage forum titled Ophthalmology Vs. Optometry where we can just piss and moan about all how little money opthalmologists make, and how Optometry is soooooo well organized that we'll be lucky if we ever pay back our student loans. Give me a break. I'm not saying these issues of optometrists gaining surgical rights isn's scarey to me, or that we shouldn't be fighting it, but I have grown tired of reading everyone's recycled opinions.

I wish this board could go back to what it used to be...Med students interested in ophthalmology trying to get info from residents etc on what the specialty is like, what programs are good, etc, and educational posts on pathology, etc.

I think that you bring up a lot of good points and I like those periods of time on this forum when we are focussing our energies in a positive manner: sharing advice on the application process and learning about everything from genetic testing for leber's congenital amaurosis to the reasons why OMDs refract in plus cyl while ODs use minus. At times, all the ophtho vs. opto stuff gets old, but it serves a purpose: it gets people thinking (i knew very little about what was happening in OK before I started reading SDN) and hopefully getting up off their chair and acting (donating to PACs, writing letters to congressmen and getting on the AAO website to see how we can become involved) rather than just being "passive thinkers" and pontificating through our computers. I can understand the frustrations that you have raised. I think we all sigh when we log in and see the titles of certain threads or replies by certain bloggers. Hell, people may be sighing when they see my name under a thread, but I realized (with the help of an unlikely source) that at the end of the day, none of the frustrating and recycled arguments that you are referring to really matter too much. Rather, it's what we do after hitting that "submit reply" that counts.

rubensan said:
Rather, it's what we do after hitting that "submit reply" that counts.

Right on brother! This is why it is important to read, listen, think, and then act. There are too many people in the world who stop acting. We need people of action like you, and others I've met on SDN.