gdbaby

Prettier than before
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2005
2,295
2
48
Status
Resident [Any Field]
So, this forum does a lot for us: provides us with info, calms our fears, conjures more. I thought perhaps a nice thing to do for people applying in future cycles would be to form a database of stuff that would be really useful to know. I know this combines several threads, but if I could get all the info here it would be easier for me to compile the list. So, if people will provide the info, I will compile it into a spreadsheet to post somewhere on this site (perhaps a moderator could tell me the best place?).

We can't possibly provide everything, but I thougth we could include answers to some of the most often asked questions. I was thinking:

School name:
how you recieved interview invite:
How soon after completed app did you get invite:
How you received acceptance/rejection (please state which one):
How soon after interview did you hear:

Does this sound like a good idea? Is this even plausible? Would someone be willing to share the duties? We could split the list? If your information about a school is different from someone else's, please post it so I can say "Acceptance between 2-8 weeks."
 

MegG

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2005
48
0
Status
gdbaby said:
So, this forum does a lot for us: provides us with info, calms our fears, conjures more. I thought perhaps a nice thing to do for people applying in future cycles would be to form a database of stuff that would be really useful to know. I know this combines several threads, but if I could get all the info here it would be easier for me to compile the list. So, if people will provide the info, I will compile it into a spreadsheet to post somewhere on this site (perhaps a moderator could tell me the best place?).

We can't possibly provide everything, but I thougth we could include answers to some of the most often asked questions. I was thinking:

School name:
how you recieved interview invite:
How soon after completed app did you get invite:
How you received acceptance/rejection (please state which one):
How soon after interview did you hear:

Does this sound like a good idea? Is this even plausible? Would someone be willing to share the duties? We could split the list? If your information about a school is different from someone else's, please post it so I can say "Acceptance between 2-8 weeks."

That sounds like a really nice idea. I am still a little ways off from applying, but one thing that has been in the back of my mind is the LOR's. I mean the entire aspect of them-how do I go about them, is there like a form type thing I can give to my professors-do my professors need to send them directly to AMCAS and if so do I just give them an addressed/stamped envelope..and if there isn't like a set form/format how do they know what to write, are there specific guidelines...Back to your post though, I really do like the idea and do think it could help out future applicants (like me) ;)
 

hobbesiscool

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
May 22, 2005
133
1
Status
School name:Baylor College of Medicine
how you recieved interview invite:Email on 8/26/05 for 9/23 interview (rescheduled to 10/7 b/c of Hurricane Rita)
How soon after completed app did you get invite:1 and a half months
How you received acceptance/rejection (please state which one):Acceptance on 11/17 by phone
How soon after interview did you hear:5 weeks and six days
 
About the Ads

tacrum43

Behold the mighty echidna
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2004
3,130
3
37
Seattle, WA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
MegG said:
That sounds like a really nice idea. I am still a little ways off from applying, but one thing that has been in the back of my mind is the LOR's. I mean the entire aspect of them-how do I go about them, is there like a form type thing I can give to my professors-do my professors need to send them directly to AMCAS and if so do I just give them an addressed/stamped envelope..and if there isn't like a set form/format how do they know what to write, are there specific guidelines...Back to your post though, I really do like the idea and do think it could help out future applicants (like me) ;)
If your school has a pre-med/ pre-health professions office, then they probably have a form to give to your professors. However, they do not send them to AMCAS. The letters are sent to schools with your secondary applications, from either your school's pre-med office or from a service like Interfolio. Also, it is advised to keep your letters confidential (meaning that you have not read them), because this gives them more weight. Just make sure you know the professors well enough that they will only say good things, and not generic good things at that like "s/he got an A".
 

Hoberto

Squirrel Girl
10+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2005
8,457
6
Status
Attending Physician
A lot of the mdapplicant pages include the info you mention gd. If someone was interested in a particular school they could search for that school on mdapplicants.

Also, there is going to be huge variability in the dates between say primary and secondary or interview and respond and so forth depending on the time of year or the applicant or who knows what else. For example, it seems that some people hear within weeks of submitting their secondary, others hear nothing for months. I don't know, it's a cool idea, but I think it'd be a nightmare to set up.
 

MegG

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2005
48
0
Status
tacrum43 said:
If your school has a pre-med/ pre-health professions office, then they probably have a form to give to your professors. However, they do not send them to AMCAS. The letters are sent to schools with your secondary applications, from either your school's pre-med office or from a service like Interfolio. Also, it is advised to keep your letters confidential (meaning that you have not read them), because this gives them more weight. Just make sure you know the professors well enough that they will only say good things, and not generic good things at that like "s/he got an A".
Oh, thank you very much for the reply :) That is indeed some useful information and I appreciate it! :)
 

gdbaby

Prettier than before
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2005
2,295
2
48
Status
Resident [Any Field]
hoberto said:
A lot of the mdapplicant pages include the info you mention gd. If someone was interested in a particular school they could search for that school on mdapplicants.

Also, there is going to be huge variability in the dates between say primary and secondary or interview and respond and so forth depending on the time of year or the applicant or who knows what else. For example, it seems that some people hear within weeks of submitting their secondary, others hear nothing for months. I don't know, it's a cool idea, but I think it'd be a nightmare to set up.
Yeah, I think I actually had a nightmare about it last night. Maybe over the break I'll dedicate some time to it and see how unrealistic it is. Plus, what would the next round of applicants had to fret about if we gave them all the info. This would be a boring forum indeed! :D
 

63768

Guest
10+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2005
2,200
5
Status
Medical Student
unless someone stickies this and organizes it in an easily-accessible format, i think this will just be lost. many info gathering threads have been made in the past and they've been mired in other threads.
 

Hoberto

Squirrel Girl
10+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2005
8,457
6
Status
Attending Physician
gdbaby said:
Yeah, I think I actually had a nightmare about it last night. Maybe over the break I'll dedicate some time to it and see how unrealistic it is. Plus, what would the next round of applicants had to fret about if we gave them all the info. This would be a boring forum indeed! :D
You have an acceptance! I think you should take a break and relax until August! Hmm, or vacation. :) Sweet vacation.
 
About the Ads