Lets give it a shot!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

run2erun

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll give it a shot, what are your thoughts?

Undergrad: 3.3 B.A. Journalism from Keene State College
Post Bacc: 3.7 I believe it qualifies as "full-time" for a post-bacc.
MCAT: Taking it on the 27th.. Assume an average score I guess... 26-30ish Essays will probably be a high score with the Journalism degree.

Recent job experience:
-Work full time (40hrs at LEAST) at a small family business which I manage and run essentially solo. Have been doing this for 5 years now.

Work related:
-Volunteer weekly at the emergency department at a level 1 inner-city hospital.
-"Mini Med-School" program at a local hospital - lectures, tours, and experience in the core specialties.
-Assisted at Red Cross blood drives.

Other:
- Captain & DI & DIII Northeast finalist in track during undergrad.

(3) good LOR.

Should be a pretty solid interviewee.

Top choice is UConn and I'm in-state.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you need a stronger MCAT score than a 26-30, unless you're going to be applying to DO med schools too. Is your cumulative uGPA (including postbac) up to a 3.4 or so now?

How many years or months have you been volunteering at the ER? How many hours spent on blood drives? Any nonmedical community service? What about some formal shadowing? Leadership or teaching (not clear if you're giving the mini-med school lectures or attending them)? With full-time work and school, I don't blame you for the sparse ECs, but as you're lacking research, you need as many other strengths as possible. Don't forget Hobbies, Artistic Endeavors (writing? or other). It's good to see you have something for Intercollegiate Sports.