Let's hear about your first days....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

juice_cruz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Yah-EE.....

How about an update about the first few days of school down at Nova. I haven't seen you post nearly as often as before.
Let us know.....
Thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the reply. I didn't mean to exclude anyone. I think it would be cool if 1st year dents. posted their thoughts/concens as the year progresses.....

Good luck

-Juice

Good luck NYCDoc and all freshmen!

I was in your shoes once and I sympathize. As long as you can have some fun and see the humor in the situation, you will have a good time despite all the work. Imagine the fun of getting alginate everywhere on your person when trying to do impressions for the first time, all the gagging and blowing-chunks when you stick that alginate tray into your partner's mouth, or getting streaks of stone all over your face when trying to pour the casts, or letting the high-speed handpiece "run away" from you when trying to cut a typodont tooth for the first time.

There's humor in the situation, really! :D

Just hope nobody stands up in the lab and yell, "ALGINATE FIGHT!!!" *SPLAT!*

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by UBTom
Good luck NYCDoc and all freshmen!

or letting the high-speed handpiece "run away" from you when trying to cut a typodont tooth for the first time.

that reminds me of my friend who accidentally "prepped" his finger... and another one who tore up his scrubs accidentally. be careful of the high speed.

Don't go scaring the freshmen now... :D :D :D

LOL.. "prepped" his finger. That's a good one heh heh.. I could see it now:

"Say, what's that chunk of amalgam doing in your fingertip?"

"Uh... I accidentally "prepped" my finger and I had to fill it with sumthin'.."

"Did you prep your finger according to G.V. Black's principles?"

Sorry, couldn't resist. :laugh: Like I said, if you see the humor in the situation you are not beaten! (Maybe that's why dentists in general are so jocular heh heh.. Coping mechanism for dealing with the stresses of dental school)

Seriously though, you are absolutely right-- Safety first.

Well...I survived the first week of dental education and it has been nothing but a BLAST!!

(Monday) The first day was actually pretty simple, there were a lot of introductory stuff in all of the classes. Two really cool things, first was Nova had us waxing already in our first simulation lab for the Pre-Clinic and the second is when we got our new instruments/tools. First day, started at 8 AM and ended at 5 PM.

(Tuesday) The second day hit us like a ton of bricks, although we didn't start until 10 in the morning, but we had lectures straight to 4 PM. For our first class, Dental Biomaterials, Nova stopped handing out PowerPoint Slide notes, so we had to write our own notes. Let me tell ya, it was like a "Speed Writing" 101. Also included in the schedule were Gross Anatomy and Biochemistry lectures. After this day, we as a class were ALL exhausted.

(Wednesday) the third day was another bright and early one that started at 8 AM with Histo! In the simulation lab, we waxed up #9, Maxillary Left Central Incisor as our assignment. By this time, everyone is already studying like crazy to keep up with the academic demands.

(Thursday) Y'all are going to be shocked, for our fourth day, we only had one class that was at 2 PM!! I know, one class! This amazing relaxed schedule will only be around until October, once October comes around, we'll be pretty much going from 8 AM to 5 PM! So for this fourth day, a lot of us went to the campus early and just studied on our own until our only class and called an early day after class. Some of us didn't show up to campus until it's necessary for that one class due to our hangovers from Wednesday night. (Wednesday nights has been officially designated to be our partying nights since we don't have an early class on Thursdays).

(Friday) This day included Histo lab, Gross Anatomy lab, and couple of lectures. Since it was a Friday, we were all pretty pumped to go through whatever it had scheduled for us. The day ended at around 4:30 PM.

In general, the week went by very fast! Highlights included:

- our new instruments (it's like a kid on X-mas day!)
- waxing up #9
- learning the axial skeleton (the skull is cool)
- being rushed by two dental fraternities (Psi Omega and Alpha Omega)
- partying like rock stars
- meeting new classmates everyday

Some other general info:

- Nova is now FULLY ACCREDITED w/o reporting to ADA
- 87% passing Florida State licensure board this past graduating class (Class of 2002)
- Keep your eyes on Class of 2004 (D3) NBDE Part I scores, it will open some eyes nationally

Between the FL setting, the school's education, the faculty members, and my classmates, I have made pick the perfect choice for my dental education. For some current pictures of my classmates and I, please feel free to visit our class web site.

http://groups.msn.com/NSUCDMClassof2006

:cool:

Whoa there Yah-E, glad you are enjoying dental school. But.... are you implying that Nova already knows how they ranked on NBDE I nationally? We have been waiting on the edge of our seats this whole week but the administration has yet to say anything about how we did. If you have info, please share! Not knowing is killing me, I have to wait at least 1 to 3 more weeks for my score!

Hey Yah-E. Great to hear from you and that you are having fun in school. :clap: :clap:

Griffin04:

By all means, I'm not implying that I or any Nova dental students already know what the Class of 2004 NBDE Part I scores are at this time. I'm simply stating that people will be impressed with Nova's numbers once the score reports are out. From the mouths of D3s at Nova, they feel very confident that they did well as a class. They claim that their Part I scores will be Nova's highest yet and it will be competitive nationally.

To others, thank you all for your kind words. Nova is a lot of fun and I have no doubt that it will only get harder and more challenging as I experience weeks and months ahead. Other news...

MANY of my classmates are nominating me to be our class president, heck, I've been called the "unofficial PRES" for the last week-and-a-half already. I respectifully accepted their nominations and decided to run for the position. I'll keep you guys updated, our elections is in September.

I'm definitely joining a dental fraternity for networking and Post-Doctoral connection purposes, Psi Omega will be the one that I will join.

I also decided to join the Surgery Club with the Nova DO school (NSUCOM) due to my interest in OMS/MD.

Like they say, the more you put into it, the more you'll get out of it! Involvement is must in my opinion aside from excelling in academics.

Dental school kicks ass!!!
:clap:

No problem Yah-E. It's just that the anticipation of waiting for the scores or any news about them is killing me and I thought that maybe the Dean of your school had already announced how the D3s had done on their boards.

That's awesome that you are going to run for class pres! Being involved in dental school has been an awesome experience for me, from learning more about my classmates to interacting with the professors and the departments at the school to traveling to places all over the country. It sure keeps me busy but is a good reminder that dental school is more than just classes and exams. Looks like at Nova, ASDA is separate from the student government and Nova has to recruit students into ASDA. It may be hard for your classmates to see the benefit of joining ASDA and shelling out the extra $55 for membership. Organized dentistry is so important for the future of our profession and as a current ASDA member and potential class leader, I'm sure you can help them realize the importance of joining.

Good luck to you! Sounds like you've already immersed yourself into the life of a dental student. Keep up updated. Welcome!

Originally posted by Yah-E
MANY of my classmates are nominating me to be our class president, heck, I've been called the "unofficial PRES" for the last week-and-a-half already. I respectifully accepted their nominations and decided to run for the position. I'll keep you guys updated, our elections is in September.

Should have seen that one coming ;) . Seriously though, no need to update us in September, I'm sure you've already won the vote!

Glad to hear that you are enjoying school! After reading your post, I perused some of your older posts -- you've come a long ways (remember your psycho interview at NYU?)! Congrats on all you've done. Keep up the good work!

Man, I feel like I'm on vacation here. We're still in orientation week, but most of us are done by 2pm b/c we're all cleared with financial aid, bursars, etc....like, tomorrow, i have nothing so i'm heading to queens to visit my mom before she leaves for home back to chicago.

socially, i'm havin' a blast. there are cliques forming but i'm sure once we get into small groups, lab groups, study groups we'll all integrate together. i've already met 2 other SDN members.

NYU is cool so far. huge class, but everything is split up. we all just noticed that we have different class schedules. ie: for thanksgiving break, some of us (like me) have that monday off. so i get thursday, friday, AND monday off.

Another thing is, NYU is EXTREMELY diverse. i wouldn't be surprised if it was 60% asian. coming from chicago, i'm in total culture shock. i think 30% of the students are from Cali. only 5 students are from illinois.

should be a fun 4 years. some of us are already planning on goin' to Times Square for TRL in our scrubs. One of my buddies has a summer home in Costa Rica so we're planning on makin' our spring break. gotta live it up before the classes start!