Let's just say.... (would it be inappropriate?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boardchic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's just say, hypothetically, that you're pretty sure an admissions committee met the day before... and you're pretty sure said admissions committee sends out letters via snail mail... and you (a) have an inherent distrust of the mail system, and (b) are very anxious.
Would it be imprudent to call said school to inquire about your status?

Members don't see this ad.

boardchic said:
Let's just say, hypothetically, that you're pretty sure an admissions committee met the day before... and you're pretty sure said admissions committee sends out letters via snail mail... and you (a) have an inherent distrust of the mail system, and (b) are very anxious.
Would it be imprudent to call said school to inquire about your status?

Depends on the school...which one are you talking about? Some schools are great about calls and welcome them, but if you have to search for more than 2 minutes for their number, it probably means they don't want you to call.

I think that a solid rule is to wait 10 days or so then call. This means wait till the Monday after Christmas. If you haven't gotten anything by the time the mail comes that day, you're justified in calling. You're not justified in calling the day after you think they met. I know; it's torturous. What can you do though? Most adcoms seem to not tell anybody anything other than when the letters were sent if you call too early. If you give it a little bit of time, say a week and a half, then you're more likely to get a substantive answer out of them.

Patience I preach, but I have none myself. WHERE THE FUDGE IS THE MAIL TODAY???

-dope-

Members don't see this ad :)
I would give some time, a couple weeks before calling. Or you could use that "I'm going on vacation out of country excuse" and ask them how they will send acceptance/rejections....via snail or e-mail so that you will be up to speed on the news. Hope that helps. :)

The policy at some schools is not to say anything about your status over the phone. You can try, but they may ask you just to wait a few more days for the snail mail letter. You've waited many months, perhaps years for this, so you can make it a few more days (though I agree that the waiting sucks)!

All schools should be willing to release decisions over the phone...

What are they going to do, rescind their acceptance if you call? Go for it. The worst that can happen is they say they can't tell you.