Let's monitor our progress:Practice exams for April 2006 MCAT.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dave613

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll start.

I already took the MCAT in august 2005: 26--hence, i am retaking it.

Kaplan Diagnostic: 11p, 10V, 8B, 29.

Members don't see this ad.

Kaplan diagnostic: 27

Missed the August MCAT

Practice tests in the 25-30 range (verbal consistently the highest section)

I haven't taken the Kaplan diag. yet...I start class in Jan.

But I did take the free 3R online:

PS 15
BS 12
VR 11

o_O

Teerawit said:
I haven't taken the Kaplan diag. yet...I start class in Jan.

But I did take the free 3R online:

PS 15
BS 12
VR 11

o_O

talk about getting off to a good start!

Members don't see this ad :)
Not doing a Kaplan class, recently started studying for it, and took the MCAT test 3R:

VR 10
BS 9
PS 9

Just something to keep in mind about the AAMC Tests, they are much easier than the real thing so try to avoid using that as your guide to what you will be scoring.

Yea, watch out for those AAMC tests. I was scoring MUCH higher on my practice tests than my real deal. Whether or not other things had to do with that can be debated. Good Luck

I took the diagnostic last June, but never got a chance to start studying until a few weeks ago.
Diagnostic: 15
I had like a 6 in VR. I started doing passages and got 6s. The score has slowly come up with studying. Today I got a 10. I am very happy. I thought I was never going to improve. As far as sciences go, I am too afraid to even try a test yet, but I am studying a lot of theory. Going over my old notes.
Good luck to all

onmywayRN said:
I took the diagnostic last June, but never got a chance to start studying until a few weeks ago.
Diagnostic: 15
I had like a 6 in VR. I started doing passages and got 6s. The score has slowly come up with studying. Today I got a 10. I am very happy. I thought I was never going to improve. As far as sciences go, I am too afraid to even try a test yet, but I am studying a lot of theory. Going over my old notes.
Good luck to all

Excellent!! Good progress...Keep up the good work and you'll be good for April.

Free diagnostic from Kaplan at the end of September

10 PS, 8 VR, 12 BS

I was quite pleased with that for the first diagnostic.

McGillGrad said:
Just something to keep in mind about the AAMC Tests, they are much easier than the real thing so try to avoid using that as your guide to what you will be scoring.

I heard many are easy, but 7 and 8 are good indicators. For me, I got an overall score exactly what I got on AAMC 7.

McGillGrad said:

USArmyDoc said:
Yea, watch out for those AAMC tests. I was scoring MUCH higher on my practice tests than my real deal. Whether or not other things had to do with that can be debated. Good Luck

So tell us what you made on the 3R (and whichever AAMC tests) and what you made on the real MCAT.

See ya
Teerawit

Members don't see this ad :)
Free diagnostic: PS 11, VR 13, BS 12.....so total 36 :thumbup: And this is without studying.

Teerawit said:
So tell us what you made on the 3R (and whichever AAMC tests) and what you made on the real MCAT.

See ya
Teerawit

I was kind of all over the place with the AAMC tests.

3R: 34
4R: 28
5R: 32
6R: 36
7: 33
8: 28

Real Deal: 33

So I guess I got about the average of the AAMC tests. Looking back, they did seem easier (in terms of the actual questions) than the real MCAT, but some of them (like 4R) had a pretty tight curve. Also, AAMC 8 was friggin' hard! I took it 3 days before the actual MCAT and my confidence was shot! Don't leave it until the very end.

PS-6
VR-8
BS-8

I didn't study for any of this test cuz i wanted to see what my baseline is. The next diagnostic isn't until Feb. so I plan to read everything and do most of the problems as well as other tests between now and the next diagnostic.

VR is what I'm worried about...this mark is actually a 2 point improvement from my august scores. The other scores, I feel, are not representative as I did better on the real thing and have not re-studied for this stuff yet...

My goal is to get at least a 30, with a 9 in verbal....

Until next time... :luck: :) :luck:

Hey again, this Sat. I just took one of those free proctored practice MCATs by Kaplan.

14 PS
13 BS
10 VR

Teerawit said:
Hey again, this Sat. I just took one of those free proctored practice MCATs by Kaplan.

14 PS
13 BS
10 VR

:thumbup: Nice numbers

Did you take the full-length?

Thanks! I'm going to focus on the verbal...hopefully the EK books will help raise my VR score like they have done for others on here :)

It was just one of those 2/3 length tests, w/o the writing section (similar to their diags. I presume?)

McGillGrad said:
:thumbup: Nice numbers

Did you take the full-length?

Yes, they are similar.

Are you still considering a review class? It seems that you are already prepared.

Teerawit said:
Nah, it was just one of those 2/3 length tests, w/o the writing section (similar to their diags. I presume?)

McGillGrad said:
Yes, they are similar.

Are you still considering a review class? It seems that you are already prepared.

Yeah, I'm already enrolled and will start the class in January. 5 months seems like a long way to go to remember all the stuff. I can't really force myself to study. Besides, I need the practice and reinforcement. I still feel nervous before each test, etc.

Teerawit said:
Yeah, I'm already enrolled and will start the class in January. 5 months seems like a long way to go to remember all the stuff. I can't really force myself to study. Besides, I need the practice and reinforcement. I still feel nervous before each test, etc.

teerawit, my score is 6 VR, 7 PS, 5 BS, could u tutor me?

hey guys. I've been rocking the sciences without much studying, but have yet to make much improvement in verbal with the EK method. Anyone have any advice to raise this score (~4-8, it varies a lot) significantly in the next few months?

Has anyone taken TPR free diagnostic? I got a 29 on TPR free diagnostic, but I got a 37 on the Kaplan free one. TPR came first but I did minimal to no studying between the two. And for what it's worth, 3R fell right in the middle of the two.

Has anybody had similar results or have any idea which is the better predictor? I find it extremely unsettling that they are so spread out.

reserving my spot...

3R - Aug. 10, 2005 - 32.... 11V, 11P, 10B didnt bother with writing section

August 20, 2005 MCAT - 31M.... 13V, 9P, 9B (hadnt studied at all! looking forward to a retake!)

Doc.Holliday said:
reserving my spot...

3R - Aug. 10, 2005 - 32.... 11V, 11P, 10B didnt bother with writing section

August 20, 2005 MCAT - 31M.... 13V, 9P, 9B (hadnt studied at all! looking forward to a retake!)

Re-taking with a 31, Doc?

I guess if you know you can improve for sure it's worth it, but that's a heck of a score as it is, pretty balanced too.

Doc.Holliday said:
reserving my spot...

Smells fishy to me.

How do you get a 13 in verbal and get an M in the writing section? An M translates to barely literate writing skills.

I will go ahead and call BS on this. :p

Prove me wrong. :smuggrin:

McGillGrad said:
Smells fishy to me.

How do you get a 13 in verbal and get an M in the writing section? An M translates to barely literate writing skills.

Not fishy at all. I had a friend in summer 2004, who got an almost similar breakdown as him. He had 9's in both of his sciences but a 12 in Verbal because he was really good at reading comprehension but didn't study as much as he could have for the sciences. That said, he's an MS I now, so it doesn't really matter.

Second off, there are people that I know of with 40's on their MCAT and M and N's in writing, or with 33's with an even 11 11 11 breakdown and low writing scores.

The two do not have anything to do with each other because one of the scores is based on opinions and biases of the judge, while the other is based on automated scores from a scantron compared against a standard.

Took a princeton free diagnostic in august: 16 total

took the princeton course diagnostic last month: 18 total

no studying in between...maybe helped to be in "school mode" :D

GOTTA STUDY!!!

BrettBatchelor said:
From what I hear, if you don't follow the "format" you will get a bad score no matter the quality of the writing. Maybe that was the mistake.

That is partially true but basic BS with a semblance of structure gets you a 3+3 which is about O.

You actually have to try to get an M. That is how poor an M is considered.

dang it, all this studying is making me jealous!! i haven't touched a thing since august. arrggh! can't wait till finals are over :rolleyes:

sweetstuff25 said:
dang it, all this studying is making me jealous!! i haven't touched a thing since august. arrggh! can't wait till finals are over :rolleyes:
I'm with you :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

serencavalier said:
Took a princeton free diagnostic in august: 16 total

took the princeton course diagnostic last month: 18 total

no studying in between...maybe helped to be in "school mode" :D

GOTTA STUDY!!!

Look at the raw scores you got in the free test vs paid test. Notice the disparity in scaled scores has more to do with the scaling used. Typically the scales are harsher in the free tests then paid tests.

Y_Marker said:
Typically the scales are harsher in the free tests then paid tests.

My Kaplan free test had a pretty lenient curve IMO. Miss 4 problems and get a 15 in a science section? Riiiight....

Or did they write the free tests to be harder in general?

Teerawit said:
My Kaplan free test had a pretty lenient curve IMO. Miss 4 problems and get a 15 in a science section? Riiiight....

Or did they write the free tests to be harder in general?

The free tests weren't necessarily harder - or they didn't seem to be. They seem to tests concepts straight up - no digging through the mess to figure out what science concept they are testing.

If you haven't compared the free test's curve to aamc, do that just to give you an idea. If you were Kaplan would it be in your best interest to give 15's to people so they *won't* take your class?

Y_Marker said:
If you haven't compared the free test's curve to aamc, do that just to give you an idea. If you were Kaplan would it be in your best interest to give 15's to people so they *won't* take your class?

I have compared.

Don't ask me, ask Kaplan :oops:

I think the raw score conversion like that on the upper end because it was normalized (the majority of students wouldn't get 15s anyway). The rest of the scoring on the spectrum could be more accurate, though.

Teerawit said:
I have compared.

Don't ask me, ask Kaplan :oops:

I think the raw score conversion like that on the upper end because it was normalized (the majority of students wouldn't get 15s anyway). The rest of the scoring on the spectrum could be more accurate, though.

Kaplan's PS sections on almost all of their Full-Lenght tests are ridiculously difficult. That's why their PS scales are much more lenient than other test prep companies. I remember in the summer, I'd get about ~25 wrong (out of 77) on their PS sections and still come out with scaled scores of around 10. On any other test, 25 wrong out of 77 would be a way lower scaled score.

That being said, if you ARE consistenly scoring scaled scores of 11+ on Kaplan's PS sections, you will absolutely destroy the real PS MCAT (I'd say about 13+).

In fact, a guy from my Kaplan class in the summer was scoring 12s consistently on his Kaplan PS sections but got a 15 on the real deal. It's hell taking those tough Kaplan PS sections, but it's worth it in the end.

McGillGrad said:
That is partially true but basic BS with a semblance of structure gets you a 3+3 which is about O.

You actually have to try to get an M. That is how poor an M is considered.

well thanks for the boost to my confidence! I really don't know why i got such a low score. I know my reading comprehension is superior to my writing ability. But hell, i am getting a second major in history and a minor in english, have never scored less than a B+ in a humanity, and i dont go to a crap school. I had never practiced the essays, and only briefly looked over kaplans recommendations for their structure, so its quite possible i didnt follow the formula they were looking for. But even then, I had expected at least a bit higher. They were quite consise, and i was nervous as all hell, so they could have been crap. i dont really recall much of what i wrote. Oh well, ive been comforting myself with the thought that the verbal score will make up for it, hopefully that wont stop me, especially if i have good application essays etc. Maybe it was my spectacular penmanship that did me in?

Doc.Holliday said:
Maybe it was my spectacular penmanship that did me in?

If you piss off the markers with your handwriting then that can explain it because they usually just give you a 2 if they have a hard time reading it.

man, i started with a 19 on the kaplan diagnostic, 8ps, 6bs, 5vr. I dunno what im gonna dooooo.........

(does anyone else think its a standardized test taking skill...????)

Cooolguy said:
man, i started with a 19 on the kaplan diagnostic, 8ps, 6bs, 5vr. I dunno what im gonna dooooo.........

(does anyone else think its a standardized test taking skill...????)

Yeah, unfortunately, this test doesn't measure anything except your standardized testing skills.

Good luck

havent even started studying yet....but getting myself mentally ready by reading sdn forums and thinking about audio osmosis!! hopefully ill find the determination to actually open a boook :(

grr...

McGillGrad said:
Smells fishy to me.

To (belatedly) add fuel to the fire, I got a 12 VR and M writing sample score. It's simple: if you don't follow the directions you get a bad writing score. I don't care about the writing sample because I got all 12s.
Schools don't care about the writing sample anyway. According to the adcom members here on SDN the writing sample is used as a tie breaker between applicants.

modelslashactor said:
Has anyone taken TPR free diagnostic? I got a 29 on TPR free diagnostic, but I got a 37 on the Kaplan free one. TPR came first but I did minimal to no studying between the two. And for what it's worth, 3R fell right in the middle of the two.

Has anybody had similar results or have any idea which is the better predictor? I find it extremely unsettling that they are so spread out.

I took the TPR diagnostic last night (the last time I took one was my Kaplan diagnostic back in October) and I thought I was going to completely screw up....I have not been studying as much as I planned etc but I got a 9PS/12BS/15VR (36 composite). I personally did better on TPR's diagnostic, but I think that is mostly because I had not reviewed any information when I took Kaplan's.

I have no idea which one is better for predicting what a person will get on the actual MCAT, but eitherway, I am hoping that my scores will consistently increase.

Good luck to everyone studying.

AAMC 1:

VR 13
PS 13
BS 13

I'm getting better in VR and BS I think...PS went down though :( I hope I'm not losing it...

Teerawit said:
AAMC 1:

VR 13
PS 13
BS 13

I'm getting better in VR and BS I think...PS went down though :( I hope I'm not losing it...

By AAMC 1, do you mean AAMC 3R?

Anyone have AAMC I & II?

e-mcat doesn't have them anymore.