Let's play RATE A SCHOOL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UMbryce

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum. I'm a freshman at UMiami, FL.
I'm very interested in continuing onto Pharmacy school three years from now.
So I'm considering five schools (in order):

1. UC San Diego
2. UConn
3. Pitt
4. UC San Francisco
5. Washington

So, based on y'all's expertise in grading a school, please rate them by their programs' quality.

And, this is where I am: 3.42 cum GPA, double major: exercise physiology and Econ, since i didn't take PCAT yet, my SAT is 710 math, 640 verbal. I'm pretty involved with my school's media, I'm doing undergrad research, what are my chances?? :)

By the way, I basically completed 1/2 of the prereqs by AP credit. AP bio:5, Calc BC: 5, Econ: 5, Chem: 4. Do they think I'm "special" if I was really smart in high school or do they only care about college work?
(sidenote: some colleges, (Univ of arizona) do not accept AP credit, how weird, what are they saying, that their school is so superior that AP credits don't mean anything to them?) :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

many schools won't take AP credits in core courses-make sure and check with each school
sorry
-skp

skp said:
many schools won't take AP credits in core courses-make sure and check with each school
sorry
-skp

Ditto to what SKP said and I know you're new to this forum, UMBryce, so you probably haven't explored it much...but also super ditto to what b*rizzle said At any rate, sounds like things are going well for you, so keep it up and best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you'll have a clearer picture after you've taken the PCAT and have a college GPA about which school you can get into. Goodluck!

It doesn't really matter what pharmacy school you graduate from...future employers don't really take it into account. It's best to pick a pharmacy school in an area you can imagine living in for four or three years of your life.

Check out SUNY-Buffalo college of pharmacy. They have a really good program, good standing as an instituition, great faculty (the faculty got the 2nd largest grant for research by NIH -UCSF was first ofcourse), they have a dynamic relationship with the pharmaceutical world, and also they don't concentrate only on Community pharmacy settings- but provide oppurtunities for experiencing other settings as well. Plus they accepted my AP calc=5 and AP chem=5 for prereqs, and also a departmental challenge test i took for physics I at my college. So they recognize AP's.
Yeah I did find having AP's in place of college courses limited me...which is weird :rolleyes: coz you would think that colleges would appreciate you understanding the concepts of college level courses while in high school. But you seem to going on the right track...keep it up!! And make sure you get some pharmacy experience meanwhile...P schools love that. :thumbup:

Thanks hopeful05, OoshimmeroO, and goheel for the advice.

As to hopeful05's question, what kind of research I'm involved in? I recently applied so that I can have a mentor. I have no clue what research I'm gonna do, but I'm 100% sure I'm gonna do research, and it's gonna be meaningful! :)
Something along the line of recombinant DNA.
(I maybe am dreaming too much here.)

And, I totally agree with OoshimmeroO.