-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
- Home
- Forums
- Physician and Resident Communities (MD / DO)
- Internal Medicine and IM Subspecialties
- Gastroenterology
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Let's talk about GI
Started by GI07
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
most programs have likely pushed their interview selections back since the timeline has changed significantly. It used to be that the interviews would happen in September and the offers go out in October! I'm sure the competition is the same as it always is each year - heavy. good luck
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I will also be applying for GI for July 2007, though I have not sent out any aps yet. In scanning through the programs, most of the deadlines have a fairly wide range, from November to January. It would seem that GI is going to be just as competitive as always since there seems to be a rising # of applicants every year and the same # of slots. GI07, what part of the country are you applying to?
It favors the applicant because you have time to visit all the programs you get interviews at, and increases the chance of you matching to a program you like (because you get to rank them). The way the old system worked, the programs offered spots sporadically, and you rarely could entertain more than one offer at a time. So you either took it, or lost it. Consequently, spots filled up based on the "domino" effect where spots could only be released for re-offer if it was rejected by a more superior applicant.
dradams said:I've heard with GI being in the match that it favors the applicant. I'm not exactly sure what that means though. Does that mean that it won't be as competitive? Will it be easier to get GI now?
I applied academic programs along both coasts, a total of 7 so far. I know that Michigan and Seattle have offered interviews already. Do you guys know anything about other programs? I truely feel nervous now because of lack of response from most programs.
I wish I can match. Good luck to your guys, too.
I wish I can match. Good luck to your guys, too.
bariume said:It favors the applicant because you have time to visit all the programs you get interviews at, and increases the chance of you matching to a program you like (because you get to rank them). The way the old system worked, the programs offered spots sporadically, and you rarely could entertain more than one offer at a time. So you either took it, or lost it. Consequently, spots filled up based on the "domino" effect where spots could only be released for re-offer if it was rejected by a more superior applicant.
Thanks. That makes sense.
GI07 said:I applied academic programs along both coasts, a total of 7 so far. I know that Michigan and Seattle have offered interviews already. Do you guys know anything about other programs? I truely feel nervous now because of lack of response from most programs.
I wish I can match. Good luck to your guys, too.
I would not get too worried about it yet- it looks like most programs are not going to be interviewing until January-February. According to UWashington-Seattle's web page, they have only started interviewing for their basic science track positions, they have not even opened applications for the 2 clinical spots yet!
Hey there,
I'm a resident at UVA also applying for GI fellowships this year. I've applied to a # of programs, but only two of them were outside of the match. Those within the match are not offering interviews until December/January. I've gotten interviews at U Wash and U Miami. Washington has already made their selection (didn't include me, unfortunately) Miami, I was told, will be deciding this Monday. For the rest, don't worry, there's a long way to go.
I'm a resident at UVA also applying for GI fellowships this year. I've applied to a # of programs, but only two of them were outside of the match. Those within the match are not offering interviews until December/January. I've gotten interviews at U Wash and U Miami. Washington has already made their selection (didn't include me, unfortunately) Miami, I was told, will be deciding this Monday. For the rest, don't worry, there's a long way to go.
texas_ute said:I would not get too worried about it yet- it looks like most programs are not going to be interviewing until January-February. According to UWashington-Seattle's web page, they have only started interviewing for their basic science track positions, they have not even opened applications for the 2 clinical spots yet!
Please comment:
1. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn.
2. Cleveland Clinic
3. Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore
4. Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston
5. UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles
6. University of Chicago Hospitals
7. Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York
8. Duke University Medical Center, Durham, N.C.
9. University of California, San Francisco Medical Center
10. Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston
11. University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor
12. Barnes - Jewish Hospital/Washington University, St. Louis
13. Clarian Health Partners (IU and Methodist Hospitals), Indianapolis
14. University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
15. Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia
16. Cedars - Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles
17. University of Washington Medical Center, Seattle
18. Baylor University Medical Center, Dallas
19. Yale - New Haven Hospital, New Haven, Conn.
20. Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Chicago
21. Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston
22. University of North Carolina Hospitals, Chapel Hill
23. University of Miami, Jackson Memorial Hospital
24. New York - Presbyterian Univ. Hosp. of Columbia and Cornell
25. Stanford Hospital and Clinics, Stanford, Calif.
26. Shands at the University of Florida, Gainesville
27. University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics, Madison
28. Rush University Medical Center, Chicago
29. University Hospitals of Cleveland
30. Virginia Mason Medical Center, Seattle
31. Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston
32. Advocate Lutheran General Hospital, Park Ridge, Ill.
33. Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia
34. Sarasota Memorial Hospital, Fla.
35. Oregon Health and Science University Hospital, Portland
36. University of Colorado Hospital, Denver
37. University of Virginia Medical Center, Charlottesville
38. Inova Fairfax Hospital, Falls Church, Va.
39. Lehigh Valley Hospital, Allentown, Pa.
40. Hennepin County Medical Center, Minneapolis
41. Ingalls Memorial Hospital, Harvey, Ill.
42. University Hospital, Cincinnati
43. Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit
44. William Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, Mich.
45. Greater Baltimore Medical Center
46. Ohio State University Hospital, Columbus
47. Christ Hospital, Cincinnati
48. Summa Health System, Akron, Ohio
49. Wausau Hospital, Wis.
50. Alexian Brothers Medical Center, Elk Grove Village, Ill.
1. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn.
2. Cleveland Clinic
3. Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore
4. Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston
5. UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles
6. University of Chicago Hospitals
7. Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York
8. Duke University Medical Center, Durham, N.C.
9. University of California, San Francisco Medical Center
10. Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston
11. University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor
12. Barnes - Jewish Hospital/Washington University, St. Louis
13. Clarian Health Partners (IU and Methodist Hospitals), Indianapolis
14. University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
15. Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia
16. Cedars - Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles
17. University of Washington Medical Center, Seattle
18. Baylor University Medical Center, Dallas
19. Yale - New Haven Hospital, New Haven, Conn.
20. Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Chicago
21. Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston
22. University of North Carolina Hospitals, Chapel Hill
23. University of Miami, Jackson Memorial Hospital
24. New York - Presbyterian Univ. Hosp. of Columbia and Cornell
25. Stanford Hospital and Clinics, Stanford, Calif.
26. Shands at the University of Florida, Gainesville
27. University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics, Madison
28. Rush University Medical Center, Chicago
29. University Hospitals of Cleveland
30. Virginia Mason Medical Center, Seattle
31. Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston
32. Advocate Lutheran General Hospital, Park Ridge, Ill.
33. Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia
34. Sarasota Memorial Hospital, Fla.
35. Oregon Health and Science University Hospital, Portland
36. University of Colorado Hospital, Denver
37. University of Virginia Medical Center, Charlottesville
38. Inova Fairfax Hospital, Falls Church, Va.
39. Lehigh Valley Hospital, Allentown, Pa.
40. Hennepin County Medical Center, Minneapolis
41. Ingalls Memorial Hospital, Harvey, Ill.
42. University Hospital, Cincinnati
43. Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit
44. William Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, Mich.
45. Greater Baltimore Medical Center
46. Ohio State University Hospital, Columbus
47. Christ Hospital, Cincinnati
48. Summa Health System, Akron, Ohio
49. Wausau Hospital, Wis.
50. Alexian Brothers Medical Center, Elk Grove Village, Ill.
From what I understand, the US World News & Report rankings are based on things like hospital mortality rates, nurse/patient ratios, etc. This does not necessarily correlate well with the quality of training you are going to receive as a fellow- conferences, board reviews, #of procedures, etc., etc.
You can use USNEWS and look at the reputation scores though.