Let's talk about the Association of Pediatrics Program Directors application limit recommendations for the 2021 ERAS Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sriddymopboi

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
From their recommendations which can be found here: The AAMC site “Apply Smart” lists data to consider when applying to residency programs: https://students-residents.aamc.org...-smart-data-consider-when-applying-residency/ 1. In general, it is recommended that allopathic students with Step 1 scores between 216-234 apply to 15 programs. Allopathic students with higher scores can apply to fewer programs, while students with lower scores should apply to more programs. 2. It is recommended that osteopathic students with Step 1 scores >220 apply to 16 programs. Osteopathic students with lower scores should apply to more programs. 3. Step scores should be considered in the context of other strengths or areas of concern in a student’s residency application.

I want to start off by saying, I think it's insulting that they suggest this number without an enforcement method. I'm going to take a chance with my entire livelihood/career and risk not matching by applying to only 15 programs, with this unprecedented application cycle? What if I apply to programs based on previous residency application guidelines before COVID and it turns out that this year everything gets turned on its head?

Going even further, they suggest that if my step 1 is 235, I should apply to LESS programs. Hilarious. They're basing this recommendation based off of the "Apply Smart" guidelines from the AAMC, which are horribly flawed as demonstrated here by Dr. Carmody. The apply smart guidelines say:

Applicants with USMLE Step 1 scores ranging from 216-234 (gray line) submitted more applications before reaching the point of diminishing returns (15 applications; confidence band ranging from 14 to 15). The likelihood of entering a residency program at this point is 85%. The addition of one application beyond this point results in a lower rate of return on an applicant’s likelihood of entering a residency program.

By following the pediatric's society recommendations, an applicant with Step 1 scores of 216-234 and applying to 15 programs has a 15% chance of not matching. This is one of the most insulting recommendations I have seen. The reason for this cap is as stated "We want to ensure that applicants get a holistic review, but this will be difficult to do if programs are flooded by applications."

What was the average number of applications sent to pediatrics programs in 2018? 35.6. How about 2019? 37.9. What do I think it's going to be for the 2021 ERAS cycle? I'm betting that it's going to be a lot higher than 37.9. This is a perfect example of the prisoner's dilemma, and without an enforcement method to cap the number of applications, it's insulting to ask medical students nicely to only apply to 15 programs. I could understand an enforced cap on the number of interviews (which I still wouldn't agree with) but not this. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Without an enforced cap, I recommend you apply to as many programs as possible. In such a tumultuous cycle, it is better to be conservative and err on the side of caution.

Yeah I'm an extremely safe bet for my specialty of interest, and my advisor has already recommended we inflate to 150% as many applications as we had previously been planning.

I really hope nobody's school convinces them to adhere to these specialty guidelines, because I agree, without an enforcement mechanism anybody who follows these instructions is running a big risk of SOAPing.

Yeah I'm an extremely safe bet for my specialty of interest, and my advisor has already recommended we inflate to 150% as many applications as we had previously been planning.

I really hope nobody's school convinces them to adhere to these specialty guidelines, because I agree, without an enforcement mechanism anybody who follows these instructions is running a big risk of SOAPing.
Same with me, I was probably going to realistically apply to ~40 and will probably just apply to around 75 just for the hell of it. I'll collect as many interviews as I feel like collecting because that's how the system is set up. Sucks but that's just reality, I want to 100% maximize the chances that I'm going to match.

Reactions: 1 user