Let's talk about the DAT, baby....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorAE

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
so, i have a couple years before i'll be ready to apply for dent. school and for the life of me I can't figure out how the DAT works---- there seem to be so many categories for scoring, the score ranges are confusing, are numbers average, etc. SOMEONE HELP PLEASE. if anyone can give me tips or give me a good break down i'd really appreciate it

*excuse me if this is a ridiculous post

Members don't see this ad.

So the DAT is comprised of a few sections: PAT (perceptual ability), RC (reading comprehension), QR (quantitative reasoning or math), Bio, General Chemistry, and Organic Chemistry. They are all scored out of 30. The average, some might argue, is around 18 or so. A good score to gauge for if you want to be competitive is a 19/20 and above. It gets harder and harder to get into dental school every year so maybe next year the avg's will be higher and therefore you need a higher test score to be competitive.

good luck, ask if you have any more questions

Members don't see this ad :)
1. DAT is out of 30 - the highest score you can get.
2. A DAT of 17 is average for applicants
3. A DAT of 19 is average for matriculants or people that actually get into d school
4. A DAT score of 20 or above on all sections is considered good.
5. You want to aim for a 20 or above no matter what your gpa is.
6. There are 6 sections on the DAT divided into two categories

CATEGORY 1: SCIENCE
- organic chemistry section (30 ?s)
- general chemistry section (30 ?s)
- biology section (40 ?s)
CATEGORY 2: NON SCIENCE
- pat (75?s)
- verbal (??)
- math (??)

For each of the 6 sections listed above you get a separate score out of 30. Then they are totaled or averaged into 2 umbrella categories of scoring: the total science score or TS and the Academic Average or AA.

The TS is your bio score+ your gen chem score+ your orgo score...the bio is waded slightly more because of there being 40 ?s vs 30.

The AA is your bio score+ gen chem score+ orgo score+verbal score+ math score....

Hope this helps.

buy the kaplan dat blue book
its the best book for beginners

By the time you re ready to apply, you'll need a 24, get crackin baby

By the time you re ready to apply, you'll need a 24, get crackin baby

I agree, all the med kids are jumping ship and heading over to dent. Better make your app real tight cuz its gonna be a flood by the time you apply

Yes, DAT scores historically have improved slightly but consistently over the long term. But the idea that she will need a 24 by the time she applies in a couple years is absurd. There's a limit to how well the average person can do. I scored a 22, and was in the 96.4th percentile. This means I did better than 96.4% of people who took the exam.

The DAT scores a lot of the schools I applied to actually went down over the year before. I think the competitiveness is at or near its peak at this point.

Yes, DAT scores historically have improved slightly but consistently over the long term. But the idea that she will need a 24 by the time she applies in a couple years is absurd. There's a limit to how well the average person can do. I scored a 22, and was in the 96.4th percentile. This means I did better than 96.4% of people who took the exam.

The DAT scores a lot of the schools I applied to actually went down over the year before. I think the competitiveness is at or near its peak at this point.

I thought that you would get your estimated score after you take the exam. You could take it at any day anytime you want, right? My understanding is that there is a "pool" of questions. You just basically draw the questions out of the "hat". Getting 22 meant that you got 96.4 percent of the test right.... just my 2 cents... I am just a dumb college freshman....sorry if I was wrong...

Last edited:
there is no physics on the exam so plan a good time for when you'd like to take the exam (maybe before you even take physics but remember most schools require you to take physics)...you'll need your bio, gen chem, and orgo courses to prepare..as well as lots of diligent studying and discipline! Best of luck to you!

thanks, guys!! this is all really useful and there's lots of great advice...