Let's try this again... (University of Washington)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VikingLegacy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
baleeted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
does anybody have any particular suggestions of anything I should do to strengthen my application
Strategy:

1) Get the higher MCAT score.

2) Establish residency, as the UW OOS acceptance rate is not in your favor.

3) Since you aspire to rural or Native American involvement in your future medical career, get involved in such an environment via job or volunteerism, and also with shadowing within this state.

4) Stay involved in nonmedical community service of some sort. As a thought, to make the Eagle Scout achievement stronger, you might get involved with a troop as an adult leader or badge teacher/mentor.

If 100 or so hours of clinical activity is your total, this area could use some augmentation, IMO, maybe in a different environment to broaden your experience.

The odds of out of state applicants getting into UWSOM are absolutely staggering, like 19 acceptances out of upwards of 3000 applications or something like that. So unless you have an outstanding MCAT and desire to serve an underserved demographic (which you do), I would say establishing residency in the WWAMI (Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana, Idaho) is a must if you wish to gain admission to their program...That is by far the most important statistic --- its how you get your foot in the door!

Members don't see this ad :)
likely Indian health
-A dozen solid extracurriculars

I'm very certain that if I retake that MCAT I could get a score much more in tune with UWSOM's average (36Q).

Where are you getting 36? MSAR has a median of 31.