Letter from Dean of Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Modanq

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I interviewed at Columbia recently and got a letter from the Dean afterwards that containted some really positive vibes. I don't want to get my hope up too high, but I was wondering if this is sent out to everyone. Does everyone get a letter post interview? Gosh how I want to go there!!! The students were soooo Cool and relaxed plus its such a good school. Oh, how this thread can deflate my hopes, it's a double edge post I must say!

Members don't see this ad.

Modanq said:
Ok, so I interviewed at Columbia recently and got a letter from the Dean afterwards that containted some really positive vibes. I don't want to get my hope up too high, but I was wondering if this is sent out to everyone. Does everyone get a letter post interview? Gosh how I want to go there!!! The students were soooo Cool and relaxed plus its such a good school. Oh, how this thread can deflate my hopes, it's a double edge post I must say!
i havent gotten a thing like that. its definitely a very good sign, i say let the hopes run wild. IMHO

I haven't gotten any letter either ... but I want one :)

Members don't see this ad :)
What did the letter say, by the way? Did it seem like a form letter or was it personalized?

was it a response to a thank-you note?

Drawing off what the previous poster said, if it was a response to a thank-you note, saying stuff like "we will keep you very strongly in mind" then do a search - there was a huuuuge thread about this I think last year, and tons of people inputted what kind of letter they got and what the final decision was, and they found there to be no significant correlation between the two :) but it's still nice to get a letter of course!

TracksuitsRock said:
Drawing off what the previous poster said, if it was a response to a thank-you note, saying stuff like "we will keep you very strongly in mind" then do a search - there was a huuuuge thread about this I think last year, and tons of people inputted what kind of letter they got and what the final decision was, and they found there to be no significant correlation between the two :) but it's still nice to get a letter of course!

If someone could post a link to this thread I'd appreciate it.

TracksuitsRock said:

So... did anyone actually MEET the Dean when they visited Columbia? I keep hearing from multiple people that you have to kiss this guy's ass to get in... I think my letter would go something like this:

Dear Dean Whoever You Are,
Thank you very much for making me sit in a room for hours and hours on end doing nothing but listen to this one obnoxious fellow interviewer talk endlessly about very inappropriate things. I never saw your face, but I am sure you rock the world right out of its orbit. The highlight of my day was when three of your 3rd year students came to steal the free coffee and threw their trash (sugar packet wrappers) on the floor. It is good to know that you were going to come by later to clean up after them. That is the true sign of a superhero. Please let me in. Please please please please please. I know I don't drink coffee, but I am sure I could find something else to throw on the floor as a Columbia student. Thank you for not taking the time to meet with me.
Sincerely,
Please let me in.

DNM503 said:
So... did anyone actually MEET the Dean when they visited Columbia?
several people interviewed with him. i dont know how that selection was made and if that was a good thing or bad thing.

DNM503 said:
So... did anyone actually MEET the Dean when they visited Columbia? I keep hearing from multiple people that you have to kiss this guy's ass to get in... I think my letter would go something like this:

Dear Dean Whoever You Are,
Thank you very much for making me sit in a room for hours and hours on end doing nothing but listen to this one obnoxious fellow interviewer talk endlessly about very inappropriate things. I never saw your face, but I am sure you rock the world right out of its orbit. The highlight of my day was when three of your 3rd year students came to steal the free coffee and threw their trash (sugar packet wrappers) on the floor. It is good to know that you were going to come by later to clean up after them. That is the true sign of a superhero. Please let me in. Please please please please please. I know I don't drink coffee, but I am sure I could find something else to throw on the floor as a Columbia student. Thank you for not taking the time to meet with me.
Sincerely,
Please let me in.

Or better yet:

Dear Dean F.,
Although I have been a female for the past 21 years I am willing to undergo a sex change operation so that I could join Columbia's med rugby team.
Please let me in and I promise to help you win this year's competition.
Regards,
Woman, but Willing to Change

Hate to be a bringer of bad to neutral news... last cycle the same discussion about the strongly in mind letter came up... when all was said and done people who got this letter were waitlisted or accepted- in other words I am pretty sure this letter means Jack Skit since I know very few people who interviewed at Columbia and were outright rejected- they always have a waitlist a mile long and the key to getting accepted is to kiss Dean Franz's ask- my interviewer (not Franz) must have told me 3 times that he had nothing to do with the selection process and things were out of his hands... I believe that there is a much truth to the rumor that Dean Franz handpicks the class- if you really want Columbia make sure to write letters to him.
Interviewing with him could be a great thing if you click but if you mess up the interview with Franz my guess is kiss Columbia goodbye.

Modanq said:

mdforlife said:
Or better yet:

Dear Dean F.,
Although I have been a female for the past 21 years I am willing to undergo a sex change operation so that I could join Columbia's med rugby team.
Please let me in and I promise to help you win this year's competition.
Regards,
Woman, but Willing to Change

:laugh:

ComfortableWolf said:
Hate to be a bringer of bad to neutral news... last cycle the same discussion about the strongly in mind letter came up... when all was said and done people who got this letter were waitlisted or accepted- in other words I am pretty sure this letter means Jack Skit since I know very few people who interviewed at Columbia and were outright rejected- they always have a waitlist a mile long and the key to getting accepted is to kiss Dean Franz's ask- my interviewer (not Franz) must have told me 3 times that he had nothing to do with the selection process and things were out of his hands... I believe that there is a much truth to the rumor that Dean Franz handpicks the class- if you really want Columbia make sure to write letters to him.
Interviewing with him could be a great thing if you click but if you mess up the interview with Franz my guess is kiss Columbia goodbye.
im not sure what to think of that. id have to say i disapprove, as i dont know what criteria he uses and im not sure if theyre ideal. then again, its said that key decisions are always made by individuals, not groups. i guess its the kissing up thing that is a huge turn off. wheres the dignity, and does that signify any kind of trend that might have to continue there. i interviewed but i dont plan on kissing up, whatever happens happens. i wouldnt feel great knowing thats what it took to get in.

Thats unfortunate to hear that Columbia selects students like this...I hope its not true...

So, I'm not sure if they're doing things the same way they did 4 years ago, but a friend and I both got that form letter after we sent thank you notes. The difference was that my letter had an extra sentence about my being strong candidate, or that they really liked me, or something to that effect. I got in and she didn't; it was weird.

Shredder said:
im not sure what to think of that. id have to say i disapprove, as i dont know what criteria he uses and im not sure if theyre ideal. then again, its said that key decisions are always made by individuals, not groups. i guess its the kissing up thing that is a huge turn off. wheres the dignity, and does that signify any kind of trend that might have to continue there. i interviewed but i dont plan on kissing up, whatever happens happens. i wouldnt feel great knowing thats what it took to get in.

Keep in mind... this is a rumor, and we are on a student doctor message board - not at a Columbia ADCOM meeting.

I'm a second year at P&S, as well as a tour guide, so I work closely with the admissions department. The LAST thing the ADCOM wants is for people to write letters and letters and letters into Dean Frantz. It's helpful yes, in gauging who has a strong interest in the school -- as the ADCOM naturally would like to select a student body who really loves Columbia... after all, it makes for a happier student body in general. It is NOT helpful if every Tom, Dick and Harry writes a letter. So in this sense, writing a letter to Dean Frantz or anyone else does not carry more weight than it would at any other school.

But as a student at P&S, who knows several individuals in different classes who did NOT write any letters to Dean Frantz and were accepted, I'm telling you to not believe the here-say. If you love the school, sure- let them know. Just like you would anywhere else.

People seem to have a lot of beef with Columbia on this board. Before you agree with it, I suggest looking at whom it's coming from... Usually it's people who "have heard" this or that.

SarahGM said:
Keep in mind... this is a rumor, and we are on a student doctor message board - not at a Columbia ADCOM meeting.

I'm a second year at P&S, as well as a tour guide, so I work closely with the admissions department. The LAST thing the ADCOM wants is for people to write letters and letters and letters into Dean Frantz. It's helpful yes, in gauging who has a strong interest in the school -- as the ADCOM naturally would like to select a student body who really loves Columbia... after all, it makes for a happier student body in general. It is NOT helpful if every Tom, Dick and Harry writes a letter. So in this sense, writing a letter to Dean Frantz or anyone else does not carry more weight than it would at any other school.

But as a student at P&S, who knows several individuals in different classes who did NOT write any letters to Dean Frantz and were accepted, I'm telling you to not believe the here-say. If you love the school, sure- let them know. Just like you would anywhere else.

People seem to have a lot of beef with Columbia on this board. Before you agree with it, I suggest looking at whom it's coming from... Usually it's people who "have heard" this or that.
thanks, youre right, i shouldnt get caught up in hearsay. it makes sense that not every one of the hundreds who are accepted flooded the admissions office with letters, it would be too much to deal with. i guess ill see.

I just got a letter from the dean too. It was in response to a Letter of Intent that I mailed late last month. So, at least in my case, the letter from Dean Frantz was, in a way, solicited.

HAHAHA ah yes, the yearly Dr. Frantz letter brouhaha. Like clockwork.

I got accepted into Columbia without a letter from the Dean. I am writing a letter to the Dean, though, asking why I didn't get one. Dean, if you're reading this, "What the $%6! is your problem??"

For what it's worth, I got a very favorable letter from the dean and ended up being waitlisted. Isn't it possible that he's simply a nice guy? The fact is, in talking to Dean Frantz, he just loves talking to students and makes himself very available to applicants any time. He enjoys the correspondence, enjoys admissions, and wants applicants to know he cares.