Letter of Rec from Adcom Member

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

starsinmyeyes

Reaction score
Hi everyone, does having a strong rec letter from an adcom influence positively to receive an interview invite from that particular school? If the student has a stellar GPA, is URM, and mid MCAT, could this sway the committee to invite for interview since the student is vetted by one of the adcom members? Does it differ for MD or MD/PhD admissions? Or will the applicant be considered the same as others? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, does having a strong rec letter from an adcom influence positively to receive an interview invite from that particular school? If the student has a stellar GPA, is URM, and mid MCAT, could this sway the committee to invite for interview since the student is vetted by one of the adcom members? Does it differ for MD or MD/PhD admissions? Or will the applicant be considered the same as others? Thank you!
All else being equal, a strong letter from their adcom member will have a positive effect on your application at that school. We highly value the opinions of each other over some random person we've never heard or worked with. However, my school has also rejected plenty of applicants despite this connection. Just my thoughts.

Reactions: 6 users
How does the student know the reference? The faculty member is probably aware of how their reference letter could be read in the process and would recuse in any discussion. It can be helpful, but as pointed out, it might not.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
All else being equal, a strong letter from their adcom member will have a positive effect on your application at that school. We highly value the opinions of each other over some random person we've never heard or worked with. However, my school has also rejected plenty of applicants despite this connection. Just my thoughts.
100% agree with my wise colleague

Reactions: 2 users
How does the student know the reference? The faculty member is probably aware of how their reference letter could be read in the process and would recuse in any discussion. It can be helpful, but as pointed out, it might not.
PI for 2 years!

Reactions: 1 users