Letter from PI (lab)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sl2obel2ts

i like tomatoes
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi

sorry I keep asking questions, but this question, i cant find by googling.

I have been researching at a stem cell lab for a year and half, and have been receiving unit (bioengineering 199, and p/np class), so I was wondering if the letter that I get from the PI can be a science class professor letter since I did get some units... any input?
 
I dont see why not if it counts towards science GPA. My PI who I have worked with for 3 years wrote me an amazing recommendation. I got 2 other science professors (biochemistry and organic chem) and 1 dentist as well to cover all my bases. I didnt apply to any school that requires a letter from a non-science professor.
 
It is my understanding (but just my understanding) that dental schools prefer that the "science professor" recomendation be from a professor from whom you have taken a "lecture" course and can attest to your ability to perform well in a didactic setting. You should still have him write you a rec. but also have some other science professor write one too. I actually didn't have my research mentor write my a LOR because even though he had given me letter grades for my research I had never taken a lecture course from him.

Of course, the best thing to do is call the schools you are interested in and ask them.