Letter of Intent before decision or after waitlist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TehTeddy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I interviewed at my top choice a month ago, and was wondering when the best time would be to send a letter of intent. The school in question is very "needy," according to Goro, and normally makes decisions in March. Not sure if I should hold off unless I get put on the WL, or send it proactively before the decision is made. I wouldn't really have any updates on the LOI, since I'm just continuing what I was doing while interviewing. Not sure if that changes the situation.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I interviewed at my top choice a month ago, and was wondering when the best time would be to send a letter of intent. The school in question is very "needy," according to Goro, and normally makes decisions in March. Not sure if I should hold off unless I get put on the WL, or send it proactively before the decision is made. I wouldn't really have any updates on the LOI, since I'm just continuing what I was doing while interviewing. Not sure if that changes the situation.

Thanks!
Conventional wisdom says that they are only effective after the school has indicated some interest in you by placing you on the WL, but, if they are needy and the letter is sincere, what do you have to lose by sending it now? Either it helps or it doesn't! It's hard to see how it would hurt at a needy school.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Most letters read like a whining plea for a date, and a needy, begging letter could put off a school still to make a decision and this is why I have this opinion. If a school is still making a decision and they are passing around the file, the first thing they will see is the last thing thrown in the file which is a needing begging letter. Do you really want that to be the impression they have you when you are a borderline for one of few seats left?
Is being needy wrong? Why do adcoms look at it as wrong?

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys,

Thanks!
i really dont think it will be negative in any way. i just sent mine to my too choice before decisions come out in february. im sure adcoms can determine the sincerity of ur letter and view it favorably. adcoms themselves arent sure who really wants to attend vs who will matriculate elsewhere so it’s kind of reassurance for them as well. i can’t see how it would hurt you if you were already among the select few whom they invested their resources into already

Is being needy wrong? Why do adcoms look at it as wrong?
Not necessarily wrong, but desperate. The desperate person, in business, personal relations, med school admissions, etc. is usually the person without a better option, which often makes the target ask what others see that it doesn't. It's a turn off in dating, job hunting, deal making, admissions, anything. Why else do you think playing hard to get works so well in dating??? :cool:

And guess what? Schools are often looking for the same things as other schools, i.e., the candidates with other offers who aren't needy and desperate, rather than other schools' cast offs and rejects. Even if that doesn't describe you, that's exactly how you present when writing a needy and desperate letter.

Reactions: 1 user
Not necessarily wrong, but desperate. The desperate person, in business, personal relations, med school admissions, etc. is usually the person without a better option, which often makes the target ask what others see that it doesn't. It's a turn off in dating, job hunting, deal making, admissions, anything. Why else do you think playing hard to get works so well in dating??? :cool:

And guess what? Schools are often looking for the same things as other schools, i.e., the candidates with other offers who aren't needy and desperate, rather than other schools' cast offs and rejects. Even if that doesn't describe you, that's exactly how you present when writing a needy and desperate letter.
Here I do disagree with you. In jobs, when candidates show interest genuinely, they are taken into positive consideration. Don't know and don't care about dating.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Here I do disagree with you. In jobs, when candidates show interest genuinely, they are taken into positive consideration. Don't know and don't care about dating.

I’d also like to point out that several deans of admission interviewed on ‘all access’ explicitly state that they love to hear that applicants are interested through letters of interest/intent because it helps improve their yield.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys,

Thanks!
I have always thought the needy schools were not giving priority or special consideration to applicants who send additional correspondence, but rather de-prioritizing applicants who do not.

With the loss of the multiple acceptance report my advice on LOIs/updates has shifted. In your case I recommend sending a brief, polite post-interview LOI now, and then submitting some type of update in February, about a month before decisions are made. That should telegraph continued interest without being annoying.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
In your case I recommend sending a brief, polite post-interview LOI now, and then submitting some type of update in February, about a month before decisions are made.
So you're saying it's okay to send multiple letters to the school? I always thought it was a max of 1 letter post-interview for each school.

you are confusing the idea of hiring someone who shows interests because they really "need" this job over the tone/presentation of being needy, which implies desperation, begging, whining, etc. Showing interest in a professional manner matters. As I have said often, the reason I really advise against applicants sending these is they are so poorly written. The majority come off as unprofessional, poorly written with vague points, promises and reasons. Most are full of fluff that have no substance of any kind.
Agree about poorly written letters. Like you pointed out in another thread, people need to keep several things in mind. I think that schools that don't need to worry about yield may not care as much about the LOIs.

Totally agree. It's the fine line between genuinely interested on the one hand, and desperate and needy on the other, that I'm sure @gonnif was trying to distinguish between.

Of course everyone, everywhere wants very interested, highly motivated candidates. When that interest and motivation is fueled by desperation and need, however, it is a huge turnoff and almost always leads to disappointing results.

The elephant in the room, that no one so far has addressed to you, is that schools really don't give a s**t about what you want, or why you want it. They care about satisfying their own needs. Period. And one of their needs isn't making your dreams come true. When you have something they want, as evidenced by the body of your application as opposed by the intensity of your desire as expressed in a LOI, THAT'S when you achieve success.

As I have said often, the reason I really advise against applicants sending these is they are so poorly written.
So you are actually in favor of Letters of Intent, given that they are well-written?

And all this time I thought the SDN AdComs hated LOI's regardless lol