Letter of Intent Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zenith777

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have some specific questions about writing the letter of intent...

I just had an interview at my top school last friday and I love it there and I want to let them know that I intend to withdraw my other applications if they accept me:

1) Are letters of intent helpful or harmful?

2) Is it a bad idea to send a letter of intent after the interview but before being wait-listed? (It's a public/state school so I think a letter once being wait-listed wouldn't have much of an effect)

3) Do I address the admission committee or the dean of admissions?

4) What do I say or don't say?

Thanks! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

1) The LOI is probably helpful in pushing you over the edge if you are borderline. The only way that I think an LOI would be harmful, is that it takes away any of your choices and pretty much binds you to this school. Therefore, this should be your definitive clear cut top choice.

2) I sent a letter of intent to my top school after finishing all of my interviews, before any decisions went out. My rationale was that it was my top choice, so I may as well let them know. I was accepted, but I really don't know how much of a difference my letter made.

3) I addressed the letter to the admissions committee.

4) Do say that you would attend their school regardless of any other acceptances. Do not refer solely to their geography as a reason. Do give specific examples about why you liked their school. Do not put down any other schools you have visited. Also, write that you have given the letter a lot of consideration to let them know that this was a well-thought out course of action.

Best of luck!

Thanks that's very helpful :thumbup:

I talked to a relative of mine who is a 2nd year ER Resident, and she thought if I sent a letter of intent this soon it would sound too desperate...

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the process of drafting on to my top choice. In it I say that I have interviewed at "quite a few" schools and "have received good news from more than one" but would still withdraw from them all should my top choice grant me an acceptance. Also, my letter definitely has a professional tone to it, but I also gave a little personal swing to it. For example, one of my sentences is:

"The past few months have been a rollercoaster ride, and my car has seen more miles put on it this fall than in the entire year of 2007."

Yes or no on those kinds of remarks? I was iffy to begin with, and I think i may cut it out.

Thanks that's very helpful :thumbup:

I talked to a relative of mine who is a 2nd year ER Resident, and she thought if I sent a letter of intent this soon it would sound too desperate...

Any more thoughts on this?

I interviewed 1/30/13. Would a LoIntent within the first week be too soon? I know for a fact they won't meet until mid-march (they told us during the interview).

Any more thoughts on this?

I interviewed 1/30/13. Would a LoIntent within the first week be too soon? I know for a fact they won't meet until mid-march (they told us during the interview).

5 year bump. Nice. If it's a state/mid-range school, it might be helpful. The top 10~20 schools receive so many LOIs a year as to not have tremendous value.

Personally, I would send a letter of interest making it clear the school is your #1 now. If waitlisted, I'd send the letter of intent. I've had deans explicitly tell me they have no reason to give me scholarship money if I'm LOI at their school, so that's the balancing act I play. If you don't care about scholarship money, LOIntent away.

its OOS and private.
Pretty sure it's NOT top 20.... but definitely top 50 haha. I haven't paid much attention to the rankings much.
At this point since I am NOT in anywhere else, in a sense I am desperate. This is my only school that hasn't waitlisted me already.

What if you only apply to one school and they know you're only applying there? Can you still send a LOI? Lol