Letter of intent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tbsounde2

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
is it advisable to send a letter of intent even though one hasn't been accepted yet but had an interview. also, what does a letter of intent usually contain: does one write about the particular school as being their top choice or are there other things that must be included

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think MSTPs really care, but if you want to try go for it. Just tell them why they are your number one choice and that you will go if accepted.

i think some MSTPs do care: columbia and upenn explicitly said "let us know if you really had a good time and you think this is the place for you"

Members don't see this ad :)
MSTPs care. My impression is that if you've made it to the interview, they're concerned about whether you 'fit' with their program (besides whether you know what it means to be an MSTP student and can adequately describe your research). Outlining why you fit in particularly with a program during an interview or later in a letter of intent can only help you.

thank you very much for the info!