Two rec letter questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arodramaticity

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I have two questions about rec letters

1. I'm wondering if I am expected to send a research letter from an older/preliminary research experience if I got a publication from that experience. My first research experience was about four years ago in a lab where I was heavily mentored by a grad student and the work I was doing wasn't really exciting. Fortunately, I was able to get my worked published with that lab (second author), which makes me think I should get a letter from the PI. I did reach out to the PI and he was happy to write me a letter, but since he didn't know me very well (it was a huge lab and it was so long ago) he asked me to type up a draft letter with the things I accomplished in the lab and how it relates to my career goals, so that he has something to work with. I'm afraid that this letter won't be as impactful as my more recent experiences, so is it okay to leave it out, or since I was published in this lab, will it be a red flag to not include a letter from the PI?

2. I heard that MD/PhD programs really only care about your PI letters, so does that mean they won't look at any of your other letters? I took a grad level class where we discussed science papers and worked towards writing a proposal on an original research idea as if we were going to submit it for funding. This class was really meaningful to me because I learned a lot about research/experimental design and articulating that through a research proposal. I'm wondering if a letter from my professor in that class would be useful for MD/PhD apps, or should I strictly just send my PI letters?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Most MD/PhD programs require the same letters as their MD program counterparts. A lot of them say things like "The MSTP Supplemental Application asks that you name two letters of recommendation (from your packet or submitted to AMCAS separately) that you would like us to pay particular attention to as we review your application." (From UVA's website)

Looking at admissions sites for MSTP's the majority just direct you to the MD letter of rec requirements. This is where you have to be careful though... A lot of schools have specific requirements. For instance UCSD requires a non-science letter of rec and University of Wisconsin requires a non-faculty letter. I would check the specific requirements for each school and start asking people ASAP.

Reactions: 1 user
Most MD/PhD programs require the same letters as their MD program counterparts. A lot of them say things like "The MSTP Supplemental Application asks that you name two letters of recommendation (from your packet or submitted to AMCAS separately) that you would like us to pay particular attention to as we review your application." (From UVA's website)

Looking at admissions sites for MSTP's the majority just direct you to the MD letter of rec requirements. This is where you have to be careful though... A lot of schools have specific requirements. For instance UCSD requires a non-science letter of rec and University of Wisconsin requires a non-faculty letter. I would check the specific requirements for each school and start asking people ASAP.
Thanks for your reply! I definitely will take a look at the specific letter requirements of each of the schools and select letters accordingly.