letter of intention to how many progs before the match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rachana

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
do people send letters to more than 1 program saying they will rank them #1?

Members don't see this ad.

I only sent my #1 program a letter with " I would be ranking your program #1" the other programs got the " I would be ranking your program very high".

They say that PD's talk to each other, I dont know if that's true or not.

Another thing, alot of programs have submitted their ROL by this date so if you are going to send letter or emails to the programs do it ASAP.

do people send letters to more than 1 program saying they will rank them #1?
Only do this if you want to piss off a bunch of people, not to mention those applying from your school in later years.

I guess my quesion of "do people lie to get into residency" as been answered.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well you're not actually lying when you say you will be ranking a program highly. I consider 1-3 to be ranked highly. I wouldn't tell them I'm ranking them #1 though, I don't think they should expect that from you either. Especially at the top programs since they are so competitive you have to make sure you don't just depend on your top choice, or even top 3! They are playing the same game as you. You have to have a back up plan in case you don't match at #1. Although I really really hope I do because I didn't really make an effort to contact programs after #3 and my 1-3 are very competitive...don't make that same mistake!

I only sent my #1 program a letter with " I would be ranking your program #1" the other programs got the " I would be ranking your program very high".

They say that PD's talk to each other, I dont know if that's true or not.

Another thing, alot of programs have submitted their ROL by this date so if you are going to send letter or emails to the programs do it ASAP.

I think this is a little overstated. There are hundreds of internal medicine programs, and thousands of applicants. I highly doubt that PDs are calling each other on the phone come match day to make a list of who stood them up. The only risk lies in having a program that really wants you and then you snubbing them- they may remember this for fellowship matches. But this is probably overstated as well. Do you think that the cards selection committee calls up the medicine PD and asks if a certain candidate lied to the IM department? Or do you think the cards selection committee calls other programs PD and asks if you applied there for IM and if you lied to them??

That said, It is probably better to be honest. I told my #1 that I would rank them first, and the other few I said I would rank highly.

better to be honest. but programs are going to rank interviewees from the most desired and on down. with some slight adjustments based on who they will think will be a right fit based on interest level, if they are from that city, know people from that city etc.

i only told one program that I will rank them number one. the others were very highly for 2-3, highly 4-5, and rank 6-9. i personally don't think it will change things too much. we shall see.