Letter of Interest/Stats too high?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Geekchick921

Achievement Unlocked: MD
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have debated posting this for awhile because I don't want to to sound like I'm bragging about my MCAT score or fishing for compliments, because I'm not, but here goes...

So, I have seen the claim numerous times on SDN that schools will sometimes reject students outright if they have stats that are far higher than their typical applicant, under the assumption that the student is just using the school as a safety, and would not attend anyway if they were accepted, so why waste the interview slot on them? This has been mentioned to me directly more than once about a certain school I applied to largely due to my MCAT.

Thing is, my school choices are limited because of my husband's job, so I really am interested in all the schools that I applied to (all five of them... *gulp*). Would a letter of interest benefit me in this situation? I honestly wasn't sure if it was really necessary, as this school (let's call it Schmexel) has a preference towards female, in-state students, which I am. I just don't want to be rejected pre-interview because they think I am just using them as a fallback.

Also, you should snail mail things like an LOInterest, right? Or would e-mailing it to the office of admissions suffice?

Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Mention your husbands job, I would do a letter of interest via snail mail. It's always more personal and, since you a mentioning your husband, it seems more fitting.

Out of interests sake, how high is too high? Above the 90th percentile for the school according to MSAR?

Also, as an aside, what is the structure at the bottom of your posts, if you don't mind me asking.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I have debated posting this for awhile because I don't want to to sound like I'm bragging about my MCAT score or fishing for compliments, because I'm not, but here goes...

So, I have seen the claim numerous times on SDN that schools will sometimes reject students outright if they have stats that are far higher than their typical applicant, under the assumption that the student is just using the school as a safety, and would not attend anyway if they were accepted, so why waste the interview slot on them? This has been mentioned to me directly more than once about a certain school I applied to largely due to my MCAT.

Thing is, my school choices are limited because of my husband's job, so I really am interested in all the schools that I applied to (all five of them... *gulp*). Would a letter of interest benefit me in this situation? I honestly wasn't sure if it was really necessary, as this school (let's call it Schmexel) has a preference towards female, in-state students, which I am. I just don't want to be rejected pre-interview because they think I am just using them as a fallback.

Also, you should snail mail things like an LOInterest, right? Or would e-mailing it to the office of admissions suffice?

Thanks guys.

I e-mailed a letter of interest to a school that subsequently accepted me (Cornell). E-mail should be fine.

Hadn't heard that particular rumor about "Schmexel"...I had heard it about BU, though.

I mean, worst comes to worst, if they reject you right off, you can call/write and explain that you are *actually* really interested in them, and ask that they reconsider. Anecdotally, there is at least one SDN member for whom that worked.

I don't see how it could hurt. It might not be necessary, particularly because your GPA seems to be in line with Drexel students, but I would think it would be better to demonstrate to them that you genuinely want to go there before they dismiss you rather than after. Just my $0.02, FWIW.

Geekchick/Pianola: Great questions, excellent answer. This is why SDN is one of the greatest sites on the internet (though at times it can be a complete time suck).

:)

Geekchick--Wow on your MCAT. I scored what I deemed to by my minimum necessary (30) and opted not to retake. I don't quite understand how a 40 happens... but if you're well-adjusted and dedicated to the profession, I imagine you'll be a hell of a doctor.

The personal touch really helps move everything along. I'd put a letter ahead of an email and an appointment ahead of a letter any day of the week. Your GPA+MCAT perfection should open a lot of doors. Be personal and honest with everyone and this entire experience should be a breeze for you.

-C.J.

IMO Schmexel just released their secondary recently, so it's too early to fret. It's only September 15. I would wait until mid-end october and send a letter at that point if you need to.

What about the other schools on your list - Penn, Temple, and PCOM? Have you heard from them?

In the end though, you don't want to be tufted out of an interview, so it's not a bad idea either.

Everyone, thank you for your responses so far. I'd welcome any additional insight as well.

Out of interests sake, how high is too high? Above the 90th percentile for the school according to MSAR?

Also, as an aside, what is the structure at the bottom of your posts, if you don't mind me asking.

To your first pair of questions, I honestly don't know. Maybe someone else can shine some light on that.

And that structure is fucitol... yup. :D I originally saw it here: http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/sillymolecules/sillymols.htm Enjoy that site, it is full of teh lulz.

i'd do it geekmama. it's not gonna hurt.

edit: make that pie for them too.

Geekchick--Wow on your MCAT. I scored what I deemed to by my minimum necessary (30) and opted not to retake. I don't quite understand how a 40 happens... but if you're well-adjusted and dedicated to the profession, I imagine you'll be a hell of a doctor.-C.J.

Thanks CJ. I honestly did better than I ever expected (though I did dream that exact numerical breakdown 2 1/2 years before my MCAT). Truthfully, I think I had a less difficult test than some others. I'm also blessed with a very supportive husband and fairly easygoing toddler that let me study the majority of the time I was home with her, and I've always been a very good test-taker.

IMO Schmexel just released their secondary recently, so it's too early to fret. It's only September 15. I would wait until mid-end october and send a letter at that point if you need to.

What about the other schools on your list - Penn, Temple, and PCOM? Have you heard from them?

The other schools have me hanging. I've been under review/screening at Penn and Temple for almost 2 months now.

Why not bump them all with a "continued letter of intrest"? If it were me, I'd snail mail it to the Dean of Admissions.

Do you have anything at all to add?

I'd still consider sending either way. Perhaps draft up a letter. give it a week and then send it. dont really see what you have to lose.

There is really no such thing as a safety school in medical school applications; just my opinion though. but yeah, i agree with the second poster.

I would write them a letter as well. I haven't applied yet though so take it for what it's worth.

I'll be in a similar situation when I apply next year--my husband is in residency so I will only be applying to local schools (4 programs). I am interested in how it works out for you! Good luck!

I think its a legitimate concern, but if you do a little something "extra" like send a letter then you probably won't have to worry.

I had one or two schools in particular where its known they don't like to be someone's safety school. My MCAT was well above average, which in combination with going to a "big name" undergrad might make it seem that I'm not serious about matriculating to that program. So I wrote essentially a letter of interest for one of the extra essays and got interviewed both places

There is really no such thing as a safety school in medical school applications; just my opinion though. but yeah, i agree with the second poster.

While this is generally true, some state schools use a really rigid "points" system. I have talked to a med student or two who said interviewers told them they were already accepted based on GPA/MCAT/EC points so long as they didn't admit to (or commit) any felonies during the interview day.

Unless the school you're talking about is known for doing those kinds of rejections, I doubt they would reject pre-interview for that. I got an interview to that school even though my MCAT is above their 90th percentile and I don't have any connection to Philly (I live about a two-hour drive away). Maybe it's your combination of ECs plus MCAT that are "too good." Most likely though, this process is just too random.

While I can't speak to my schmedical schmool's biases in this regard, I can tell you that it won't hurt to send something that explains a situation which predisposes you toward taking an acceptance if it is offered. It'll get jammed into your file and noted when it is reviewed later pre/post interview.

definitely email the dean of admissions.

it goes without saying, i hope, that you do not actually say your stats are too high for them :rolleyes:

Unless the school you're talking about is known for doing those kinds of rejections, I doubt they would reject pre-interview for that. I got an interview to that school even though my MCAT is above their 90th percentile and I don't have any connection to Philly (I live about a two-hour drive away). Maybe it's your combination of ECs plus MCAT that are "too good." Most likely though, this process is just too random.

it's no doubt a random process, but it could also boil down to whether the school considers you to be a match or good fit for them or not. Schools know that there are many qualified applicants that have stats that will get them into other schools, they truly want to make sure you are an individual who would like to spend the next four years of their life in their institution. Maybe a letter of interest is the way to go to show that you would be a fit for their school, who knows?