Letter of Rec advice please! I would appreciate it!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perforin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've posted a few times on here before. I am part way through my second year, and am more interested in Ophthalmology than ever. I hope I do well enough on Step 1 to keep my dreams alive.

Looking ahead to letters of rec, my question is this. At my school, we do a 4 week Ophthalmology Rotation at our school, and most people get a letter of rec from a faculty member out of that.

Another option we have is to do an additional two week rotation with any community Ophthalmologist of our choosing. I have an uncle-in-law who is an Ophthalmologist, and while I wouldn't choose him, I was wondering if it would be smart to do a rotation with one of his good, nationally renowned Ophthalmologist friends (that he refers a bunch of patients to) and maybe get a letter of recommendation from him. Is that a good idea, or a little too fishy? It seems the letter may be biased, by since he isn't related to me at all maybe it would work? Help me out here!

Members don't see this ad.