Quantcast

Letter of Rec advice please! I would appreciate it!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perforin

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I've posted a few times on here before. I am part way through my second year, and am more interested in Ophthalmology than ever. I hope I do well enough on Step 1 to keep my dreams alive.

Looking ahead to letters of rec, my question is this. At my school, we do a 4 week Ophthalmology Rotation at our school, and most people get a letter of rec from a faculty member out of that.

Another option we have is to do an additional two week rotation with any community Ophthalmologist of our choosing. I have an uncle-in-law who is an Ophthalmologist, and while I wouldn't choose him, I was wondering if it would be smart to do a rotation with one of his good, nationally renowned Ophthalmologist friends (that he refers a bunch of patients to) and maybe get a letter of recommendation from him. Is that a good idea, or a little too fishy? It seems the letter may be biased, by since he isn't related to me at all maybe it would work? Help me out here!