Letter of Rec. for USUHS question.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kajedbear

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a nontraditional student and I really want to go to USUHS. They have a requirement of 2 letters from science faculty, one from a clinical supervisor, and one from a non-science faculty.

I currently have the two science faculty letters and I have two letters from doctors lined up, but my issue is with the non-science letter. Being nontrad, I have taken all science classes recently with the exception of a lower division communications course with around 200 people in it. The professor for that course is a nice guy and would probably write me a letter but I doubt it would be a very strong one, given the amount of students in the class limits the interactions. My other option is to write a letter explaining why I could not obtain a non-science letter (per the schools guidelines).

So my question is, which is better, having a mediocre recommendation letter, or just explaining my situation, which is that I haven't had non-science courses in about ten years and what ones I have had are so large I could not obtain one?

Any advice is welcome, especially from those who have experience with USUHS or ahve gotten in there.

Members don't see this ad.

I faced the same situation last summer. Although I'm not a nontrad, I took all of my lib eds in the first two years (almost exclusively science for the last two).

So... I had a little trouble getting a non science letter. I just decided to go the mediocre route and email a previous professor for a culture course that I took. She wrote me a letter, and I got accepted. I didn't want to deal with explaining my lack of ability to gain recommendations lol.. and I assumed if she wrote me a mediocre letter then it's fine because my other letters were better.

If your communications teacher was nice, you did well in the class etc, then go ahead and ask. Maybe set up a meeting so you can explain your goals and ambitions, and provide info about yourself.

USUHS is pretty specific about their letter requirements. I had a committee letter that specifically had comments from my physician letter written in it, but they still needed me to have the actual physician letter sent to them in order to meet their requirements.