Letter of Rec Problems

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Prettyinpink94

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know it varies by school, but is acceptable to have only 2 recommendations (both science) without a nonscience rec? I am also sending a committee letter, but my premed advisor stressed that it'd be much better with a non-science rec as well. I can't seem to get a hold of my nonscience teach who promised to write one and I don't want my app to be in late.
 
Like you said, it varies by the school... but I'm pretty sure for most schools the committee letter trumps any specific LOR requirements, so you are fine.
 
How is your committee letter written? Is it an actual letter where they synthesize information from the individual letters and write you a complete letter or do they just basically send off all your individual letters together? If they're writing you a composite letter and the pre-med adviser (who likely has some role in writing it) is telling you that a non-science LOR would make your application "much better," I wouldn't take it lightly.