Letter of rec questions :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ahaha123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have two questions I hope someone may have some insight on. I have 8 strong recommenders willing to write me recommendations: 2 science professors, 1 non-science professor, the professor in charge of my undergraduate research psychology lab, my mentor from said lab, my PI from my hospital research experience who is a physician, and 2 volunteer supervisors. I realize 8 may be too many. For schools that allow me to use up to this many, should I do that or refrain? my premed advisor said it won't look good as it'll seem like I don't have a few "strong" letters and will just overload my app.

Also, I don't have a letter from a physician I shadowed/worked clinically with. I just started a endoscopy tech position in February but have not gotten close to any of the doctors yet to ask for a letter. I shadowed a obgyn in November but he only wrote letters for students who shadowed him for long periods of time. The nephrologist who is writing me a letter is writing it from a research perspective, because I did not work wither clinically (did not shadow due to covid). Is not having a letter from a doctor you shadowed/doctor you worked clinically with bad?

Thank you very much.

Members don't see this ad.

Submit the collection of letters that would provide the best overview and least overlap. If X person just a higher up that knows you're a nice person and that you volunteer a lot, it's probably worth rethinking if a letter from them would be beneficial (i.e. a volunteer coordinator).

I think some schools require all PIs to submit a letter for you, by the way, so you'd be at 5 for them already. Also there is no need for a physician letter from what I understand, so don't feel pressured to ask for one just for the sake of having a Doctor rec on your app (someone correct me if I'm wrong here).

Keep in mind that adcoms at every school spend 30 minutes max reading your entire application, including your LORs. Ergo more information =/= better. You want to be memorable with the most concise package. For most schools, I would stick to 2 letters from science professors + 1 non-science professor + 1 letter from a research mentor you are closest with. For schools that allow for more than 4 letters (some don't), add the other research mentor letters, then volunteer supervisor letter if you want.
Letters from physicians you shadowed aren't necessary or important.