Letter of Rec questions!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilovemedi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying this year and want to start with this whole letter of rec stuff.

Most schools I want to apply to recommend "3 letters, 1 from non-science, 2 from science." What do they consider science? I realllly want to get this letter of rec from my Astronomy professor (Astronomy is under the Physics dept at my school; this class I took was the study of life in the universe and had a lot of biology). I know Astronomy falls under the science gpa, but is it okay?

Also, I took a lot of Math classes and am asking one of my math professors, and math is bcmp.. does Math count as a science letter of rec?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm applying this year and want to start with this whole letter of rec stuff.

Most schools I want to apply to recommend "3 letters, 1 from non-science, 2 from science." What do they consider science? I realllly want to get this letter of rec from my Astronomy professor (Astronomy is under the Physics dept at my school; this class I took was the study of life in the universe and had a lot of biology). I know Astronomy falls under the science gpa, but is it okay?

Also, I took a lot of Math classes and am asking one of my math professors, and math is bcmp.. does Math count as a science letter of rec?

If it falls under BCPM, it should count as a science letter. However, IMO, it's a good idea to have at least one letter from a professor who taught you in the life sciences as well.

If it falls under BCPM, it should count as a science letter. However, IMO, it's a good idea to have at least one letter from a professor who taught you in the life sciences as well.

i would, but I didn't do that amazing in my LS classes.. they were not my strong point (B's). and I would rather ask a professor where I did well in... i did good in math/chemistry/phys classes tho.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Even though math counts in bcpm gpa, I still don't think it falls under science LOR. Your best bet would be to go with bio, physics, Chem, orgo, a&p, biochem, microbio etc prof. Not so sure abt astronomy. Why don't you call the adcom and ask them.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app

I can directly call the medical school? do each have a specific admissions general questions #?

i would, but I didn't do that amazing in my LS classes.. they were not my strong point (B's). and I would rather ask a professor where I did well in... i did good in math/chemistry/phys classes tho.

I would get a letter from a professor who knows me well. Does that necessarily mean that it will be in a class in which I've earned an A? No.

I'd say ask from the professor that knows you well, can speak to your work ethic, and responds with a yes to the question "can you write me a STRONG letter of recommendation?"