Letter of Rec Requirements for Derm/Prelims?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

magictouch

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know how many letters of recommendation most dermatology programs request? I have heard 3 vs 4 vs more - any recent applicants care to chime in? Any experience with letters cosigned by multiple attendings?

Also, for the IM/transitional prelims, did you need 3 IM letters or did you use some dermatology letters? Do you need 4 letters for prelims too?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anybody know how many letters of recommendation most dermatology programs request? I have heard 3 vs 4 vs more - any recent applicants care to chime in? Any experience with letters cosigned by multiple attendings?

Also, for the IM/transitional prelims, did you need 3 IM letters or did you use some dermatology letters? Do you need 4 letters for prelims too?

It's been a while since I've applied so hopefully someone with more recent experience can chime in.

"Back in the day", it was 3 letters. If a program asks you for 3, only submit 3. Letters cosigned by multiple attendings aren't a good look. You would ideally ask for a letter writer who knows your personally rather than a tag team (I understand this isn't possible during some rotations but ideally, it would be one letter writer)

The prelim programs typically don't care, I just used my 3 Derm letters

Really? The letters cosigned by multiple attendings is a bad look now? I did that for medical school and thought it worked to my advantage to show that I was basically endorsed by more people and I would think that in the smaller world of dermatology it would be really helpful

Members don't see this ad :)
Just use single person letters.
Here's how i did it, simple:

For Derm
Letter from home derm chairman (well known)
Letter from home derm PD
Letter from away #1 derm chairman (well known, very strong)
Letter from random away #2 derm faculty NOT well known

For Prelim Medicine
Letter from home derm chairman (well known)
Letter from home derm PD
Letter from away #1 derm chairman (well known, very strong)
Letter from inpatient medicine faculty, random but strong

basically just substituted one out

Reactions: 1 users
I did three derm and one medicine for every program. All strong letters but from relatively unknown people. Matched last year without a research year.

Personal thoughts on this....
(1) Dermatology residency programs *generally* only care about dermatology recs. Most require 3 recs and it's generally best to only provide the amount requested. I've heard of some programs that will throw out applications with > 3 recs because "the applicant wasn't following application instructions". It's a competitive field and every program is looking for ways to reduce the number of applications to thoroughly review.
(2) If you had an exceptional relationship with a non-dermatologist (e.g. longitudinal mentorship with non-dermatologist over years, who you've worked with clinically and on research) and think this person can write an "outstanding" recommendation for you, you could consider sending that in lieu of a (1/3) derm rec for your derm application. I would caution you should be careful with this though, as derms generally prefer recs from other derms rather than non-derm. If you go this route, I'd request your Dean review the recommendation letter before determining whether to include with your derm application.
(3) Prelim / transitional is more open in terms of letter writers. I'd suggest getting at least 1 letter writer in internal medicine for your prelim application though. Choose an attending who has worked closely with you in an inpatient setting (either core rotation or Sub-internship). IM docs tend to be pretty nice, supportive people and they will usually do this for you. I would *not* send this letter with your derm application.

Reactions: 1 user
Personal thoughts on this....
(1) Dermatology residency programs *generally* only care about dermatology recs. Most require 3 recs and it's generally best to only provide the amount requested. I've heard of some programs that will throw out applications with > 3 recs because "the applicant wasn't following application instructions". It's a competitive field and every program is looking for ways to reduce the number of applications to thoroughly review.
(2) If you had an exceptional relationship with a non-dermatologist (e.g. longitudinal mentorship with non-dermatologist over years, who you've worked with clinically and on research) and think this person can write an "outstanding" recommendation for you, you could consider sending that in lieu of a (1/3) derm rec for your derm application. I would caution you should be careful with this though, as derms generally prefer recs from other derms rather than non-derm. If you go this route, I'd request your Dean review the recommendation letter before determining whether to include with your derm application.
(3) Prelim / transitional is more open in terms of letter writers. I'd suggest getting at least 1 letter writer in internal medicine for your prelim application though. Choose an attending who has worked closely with you in an inpatient setting (either core rotation or Sub-internship). IM docs tend to be pretty nice, supportive people and they will usually do this for you. I would *not* send this letter with your derm application.

I was late to Derm. Sent two home derm letters, surgical sub specialty research PI letter, and IM attending letter to derm and to prelim/TY programs. Got 16-17 derm interviews and matches my #1 derm program and one of the more competitive TY programs in the nation.

n=1 of course

How bad is it to have letters signed by multiple attendings? I plan on having 1 letter from my research year derm PI who I also had tons of clinical experience with, 1 grouped derm departmental letter, 1 letter signed by both PD and director of the medical student rotation, and 1 IM chair letter. I don't think it will be feasible for me to find any additional letters from just 1 signed derm attending.