Letter of Rec Requirements for Derm/Prelims?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

magictouch

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anybody know how many letters of recommendation most dermatology programs request? I have heard 3 vs 4 vs more - any recent applicants care to chime in? Any experience with letters cosigned by multiple attendings?

Also, for the IM/transitional prelims, did you need 3 IM letters or did you use some dermatology letters? Do you need 4 letters for prelims too?
 
Does anybody know how many letters of recommendation most dermatology programs request? I have heard 3 vs 4 vs more - any recent applicants care to chime in? Any experience with letters cosigned by multiple attendings?

Also, for the IM/transitional prelims, did you need 3 IM letters or did you use some dermatology letters? Do you need 4 letters for prelims too?

It's been a while since I've applied so hopefully someone with more recent experience can chime in.

"Back in the day", it was 3 letters. If a program asks you for 3, only submit 3. Letters cosigned by multiple attendings aren't a good look. You would ideally ask for a letter writer who knows your personally rather than a tag team (I understand this isn't possible during some rotations but ideally, it would be one letter writer)

The prelim programs typically don't care, I just used my 3 Derm letters
 
Really? The letters cosigned by multiple attendings is a bad look now? I did that for medical school and thought it worked to my advantage to show that I was basically endorsed by more people and I would think that in the smaller world of dermatology it would be really helpful
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just use single person letters.
Here's how i did it, simple:

For Derm
Letter from home derm chairman (well known)
Letter from home derm PD
Letter from away #1 derm chairman (well known, very strong)
Letter from random away #2 derm faculty NOT well known

For Prelim Medicine
Letter from home derm chairman (well known)
Letter from home derm PD
Letter from away #1 derm chairman (well known, very strong)
Letter from inpatient medicine faculty, random but strong

basically just substituted one out
 
I did three derm and one medicine for every program. All strong letters but from relatively unknown people. Matched last year without a research year.
 
Personal thoughts on this....
(1) Dermatology residency programs *generally* only care about dermatology recs. Most require 3 recs and it's generally best to only provide the amount requested. I've heard of some programs that will throw out applications with > 3 recs because "the applicant wasn't following application instructions". It's a competitive field and every program is looking for ways to reduce the number of applications to thoroughly review.
(2) If you had an exceptional relationship with a non-dermatologist (e.g. longitudinal mentorship with non-dermatologist over years, who you've worked with clinically and on research) and think this person can write an "outstanding" recommendation for you, you could consider sending that in lieu of a (1/3) derm rec for your derm application. I would caution you should be careful with this though, as derms generally prefer recs from other derms rather than non-derm. If you go this route, I'd request your Dean review the recommendation letter before determining whether to include with your derm application.
(3) Prelim / transitional is more open in terms of letter writers. I'd suggest getting at least 1 letter writer in internal medicine for your prelim application though. Choose an attending who has worked closely with you in an inpatient setting (either core rotation or Sub-internship). IM docs tend to be pretty nice, supportive people and they will usually do this for you. I would *not* send this letter with your derm application.
 
Personal thoughts on this....
(1) Dermatology residency programs *generally* only care about dermatology recs. Most require 3 recs and it's generally best to only provide the amount requested. I've heard of some programs that will throw out applications with > 3 recs because "the applicant wasn't following application instructions". It's a competitive field and every program is looking for ways to reduce the number of applications to thoroughly review.
(2) If you had an exceptional relationship with a non-dermatologist (e.g. longitudinal mentorship with non-dermatologist over years, who you've worked with clinically and on research) and think this person can write an "outstanding" recommendation for you, you could consider sending that in lieu of a (1/3) derm rec for your derm application. I would caution you should be careful with this though, as derms generally prefer recs from other derms rather than non-derm. If you go this route, I'd request your Dean review the recommendation letter before determining whether to include with your derm application.
(3) Prelim / transitional is more open in terms of letter writers. I'd suggest getting at least 1 letter writer in internal medicine for your prelim application though. Choose an attending who has worked closely with you in an inpatient setting (either core rotation or Sub-internship). IM docs tend to be pretty nice, supportive people and they will usually do this for you. I would *not* send this letter with your derm application.

I was late to Derm. Sent two home derm letters, surgical sub specialty research PI letter, and IM attending letter to derm and to prelim/TY programs. Got 16-17 derm interviews and matches my #1 derm program and one of the more competitive TY programs in the nation.

n=1 of course
 
How bad is it to have letters signed by multiple attendings? I plan on having 1 letter from my research year derm PI who I also had tons of clinical experience with, 1 grouped derm departmental letter, 1 letter signed by both PD and director of the medical student rotation, and 1 IM chair letter. I don't think it will be feasible for me to find any additional letters from just 1 signed derm attending.